shape
carat
color
clarity

setting ideas for concave cut spessartite in JKT?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone. So I have had my spessartite loose for almost 2 years now, and a few months ago I put a deposit down for Julia Kay Taylor to set it. I want yellow gold around the stone, and we initially agreed on the setting below as a prototype.

I was wondering if this would look good with my stone and if anyone had ideas since this will be a custom made piece.

My stone is 6.3 mm. Keep in mind my e-ring is round and about 6.7mm so I don't want something that will look to similar.

I included the vendor pic because this stone is hard to photograph. However, I used my SLR camera to take some last pictures of it loose along with a few other stones. They actually came out really good.

6076ManSpess.jpg

JKTringidea.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think your round spess would look lovely in this two color setting.

MoZo

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here are my new pics taken with my SLR. All my other colored stone pics have been taken on a "point and shoot" digital camera. I am hoping to invest in a better lens soon so I can really start taking some fun pics.

The green stones are two of the 3 tsavorites I own (the only stone I own more than one of in the same color). The pink stone is a spinel. My spessartite is the stone that is being set. I also included my sapphire RHR and my e-ring.

colorcollection1.jpg

coloredcollection2.jpg

colloredcollection3.jpg

colloredcollection4.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1293669176|2809390 said:
i think your round spess would look lovely in this two color setting.

MoZo

Thanks, I remember it was you who encouraged me to do higher ct gold. I can't pull off 22kt, but I am going to do 18kt. I think your ring encouraged me to go bezel as well. I want to do an open gallery as the stone has some depth to it and I want to show that off.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
great setting and great stone - and I dont even like concave cutting!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beauties! I think that setting would be great for your spess. Let it glow!

--- Laurie

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I tried to photograph my e-ring , but the pictures did not come out well. However, my cat wanted in on the fun I ended up with this cute pic. I cannot leave my stones unattended, they will turn into cat toys.

catanddiamond.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1293669351|2809398 said:
great setting and great stone - and I dont even like concave cutting!!!

Thanks. I normally don't like it either, but for this stone and color, it really works great and I am glad I took the risk and bought it. When I bought it, I had never seen a spessartite or a concave cut stone in person before.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1293669381|2809401 said:
Beauties! I think that setting would be great for your spess. Let it glow!

--- Laurie

Thanks, I am not very creative, so I doubt I will change it too much. My stone is smaller than the stone in the setting, so I will ask her to modify it so the proportions are right.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Would you do it in a square bezel or a round bezel?

I thought something like this would definitely make it look different from your e-ring.

ETA: I've always loved your spess and that ring!

Untitled.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1293670273|2809412 said:

I thought something like this would definitely make it look different from your e-ring.

That is interesting, would you put some stones in the gaps between the spess and the square?

Thanks for the complements!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That spess is gorgeous! I can only imagine how much it glows with that concave cutting. And I bet Julia is excited to work with it!

I don't have any setting ideas but I really love that peridot setting.

Your cat is so very cute :)) ! I bet he loves playing with gemstones! I have quite a few unset stones and my 4.5 yr old son was in awe when he spotted them in their box-- "Can I PLAY with those?!" I said "Um... NO." and hid the box when he wasn't looking ;)) .

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker|1293672267|2809444 said:

That is interesting, would you put some stones in the gaps between the spess and the square?

Nope no stones in the gaps. It will allow more light down to the pavillion especially with your open gallery idea.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1293674922|2809489 said:
LtlFirecracker|1293672267|2809444 said:

Nope no stones in the gaps. It will allow more light down to the pavillion especially with your open gallery idea.

Thanks for the idea.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
love this idea. What about doing it off-center, a la James Meyer but with a JKT touch? Mostly so that it looks even less like your e-ring?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
velouriaL|1293679182|2809537 said:
love this idea. What about doing it off-center, a la James Meyer but with a JKT touch? Mostly so that it looks even less like your e-ring?

The stone off center? I will get her opinion on that. I am going to write her this week and ask her when she wants me to ship my stone. She has not seen pictures of it yet.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
since you have a deep pavillion on your spess, keeping it open is almost a must. it will allow light to travel in, through, and back out again....even if bezeled.

MoZo

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Spess is gorgeous! I normally do not care for concave cuts but will have to make an exception for your stone - it really shows that rich color off to perfection. And that JKT setting is one of my favorites - I think it suits your Spess and will give a different look from your other RHR ring. I wonder if it would be overkill to add a teeny accent stone to the scroll terminus on each side? On JKT's etsy site, she shows a green tourmaline ring w/ tiny 1.3mm diamonds accenting the scrolls (http://www.etsy.com/listing/64948178/green-tourmaline-in-argentium-sterling -- in your case I might try to see if a pair of Spessartites could be found close to the color of your center stone. In my head it adds just that little pop but doesn't change the essential organic fluidity of the setting. Whatever you decide on though, will be stunning - that Spess is something else!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i hope you do not add any stones or change the design too much at all. it is perfect for your spess. and a richard homer concave cut spess has enough presence to be a star of the show all by itself. i think this setting will "present" your spess to public more than adequately w/o further adornment.

MoZo

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1293721633|2809793 said:
Your Spess is gorgeous! I normally do not care for concave cuts but will have to make an exception for your stone - it really shows that rich color off to perfection. And that JKT setting is one of my favorites - I think it suits your Spess and will give a different look from your other RHR ring. I wonder if it would be overkill to add a teeny accent stone to the scroll terminus on each side? On JKT's etsy site, she shows a green tourmaline ring w/ tiny 1.3mm diamonds accenting the scrolls (http://www.etsy.com/listing/64948178/green-tourmaline-in-argentium-sterling -- in your case I might try to see if a pair of Spessartites could be found close to the color of your center stone. In my head it adds just that little pop but doesn't change the essential organic fluidity of the setting. Whatever you decide on though, will be stunning - that Spess is something else!

That is a lovely ring. My only concern is that my spess is significantly smaller than that tourmaline. I am am not sure if she could scale down the accent stones to match my spess.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1293731582|2809930 said:
i hope you do not add any stones or change the design too much at all. it is perfect for your spess. and a richard homer concave cut spess has enough presence to be a star of the show all by itself. i think this setting will "present" your spess to public more than adequately w/o further adornment.

MoZo

I think you are right. I like it because it has some design (to contrast my super simple e-ring), but it is subtle. I am going to tell Julia that an open gallery is a must.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ltl, your pics are tremendously good! Love the spess, and I can't wait to see it set by Julia. :naughty:

You'll have to post her sketch ideas once she gets her hands on the stone. :bigsmile:

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I think your all of your gemstones are really lovely. Is that a cab tsavorite I see? The spess is really cool looking. I usually like simple setting so I totally love the inspiration setting. I think the 18k gold will look great.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the leaf design JKT you posted, it'll look gorgeous in a rich yellow gold.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
LaurenThePartier|1293746003|2810237 said:
Ltl, your pics are tremendously good! Love the spess, and I can't wait to see it set by Julia. :naughty:

You'll have to post her sketch ideas once she gets her hands on the stone. :bigsmile:

Thanks. I was reading Chrono's thread and the complaints about PS "muting" the stones. I feel like that is happening with the spess and I still don't have a totally accurate picture, but it is getting much closer. At least I was able to partially capture the glow on the spinel.

I am sure I will be posting those sketches and asking for opinions. I just messaged her today asking when she wanted me to ship the stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Treenbean|1293746993|2810254 said:
I think your all of your gemstones are really lovely. Is that a cab tsavorite I see? The spess is really cool looking. I usually like simple setting so I totally love the inspiration setting. I think the 18k gold will look great.

Thank you very much. Yep, that is a tsavorite cab. I can't wait to set that one, but it has to wait its turn. I appreciate you opinion on the setting, it seems like that one is getting the majority of votes.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1293761166|2810515 said:
I like the leaf design JKT you posted, it'll look gorgeous in a rich yellow gold.

Thanks, I love the simple design of that ring, and I am hoping the small amount of yellow gold around the spess will help it pop.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So, Julia has the stone. :bigsmile:.

She has not started sketches but she said she is thinking of an organic leafy design. She said my stone is kind of small, so she wanted to do a double bezel. With yellow gold around the stone and silver around that.

I will have to see the sketches, but I am wondering if that will make the ring look bulky? I am not a bulky ring kind of girl.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you, please, post more photos of your spessartite? In different lights? I am an orange addict (even started drinking orange vanilla soda) and I need to see it in different light. I am thinking of buying yet another spessartite and need to look at different colors.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1294709374|2819314 said:
Can you, please, post more photos of your spessartite? In different lights? I am an orange addict (even started drinking orange vanilla soda) and I need to see it in different light. I am thinking of buying yet another spessartite and need to look at different colors.

Well, the stone is with Julia. And my original pictures were not very accurate. When I get my stone back, I promise I will post new pictures :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results