shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for Barry Bridgestock spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, it''s been a long time since I posted anything over here in CS!

I was just wondering if you could all help me come up with some ideas for how to set my colour shift BB spinel. My mum bought me this as part of my 21st birthday gift, and now she is going to get it set for me when she goes to Dubai next month. I''m really excited about this, I''ve had this baby for months and it''ll be nice to be able to enjoy on my finger rather than in it''s little box
3.gif

So if anyone has any ideas on what might look good with this stone, it would be much appreciated!

Pics on left are the photos Barry sent me, the other 4 are some I took a while ago.

Thanks,
Dayna

bbspinelcollage.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the carat weight, and mm on the stone size?

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
Oops, silly me! It''s 1.27cts, 6.4mm
1.gif

Dayna

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you thinking ring or pendant?

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
Definitely a ring, I want to be able to enjoy seeing the stone!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because it is a color shifter I would suggest a prong setting rather than a bezel. If you do need to up the size of the stone on your hand (it''s a great size but some PSers need big impact) you could add some side stones.

HTH

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its gorgeous! I love gold shopping in Dubai, but I''ve never been there long enough to commission my own piece! Personally, I''d opt for a high karat gold setting; I think it would be striking piece. Since you''re looking for a ring, though, perhaps you''d want 18k instead. The last time I was in the UAE, the 18k actually cost more than the 22k because it was imported, but I''m not sure if that''s the case in all stores.

I would do a prong setting with floral goldwork, or some other kind of design in gold, maybe with a few diamond accents.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Which colors you see most often in it? There seems to be an array of shades that the stone can show, depending on the light, so I think something white would probably be the best option.

Since it''ll be done in Dubai, I''d suggest taking advantage of the skills of those amazing metalsmiths of theirs, and creating something with a combination of surface finishes. Like matte/frosted white gold, with polished engraved or diamond cut details "sprinkled" around (like the effect they make when combining finishes in their gold bangles). I''d think about a single shank that would get wider as it approaches the center i.e. the stone, one that is mostly flat in profile, but moderatly thick (not paper thin, like those filigree bands). Polished prongs holding the stone and further highlighting it''s brilliance due to the contrast with the solid color (matte) in the background and that''s about it.

If money is no problem, you can use diamonds to create the white background, but that''s something you can do anywhere else, and metalwork is what''s really great about jewellery from Dubai and what sets it apart.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I have no advice I just want to say it''s a really nice stone.

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone for all your replies! You''ve given me some great ideas, all I have to do now is choose what color of gold I want - I''m normally a fan of white gold but I''m not sure if yellow might be better with this stone.

Dayna

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results