shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
So I bought this amazing tourmaline from Dana at Master Cut Gems - and his description is accurate:

"Well this is one of those strange tourmalines. It did not lend itself to cut a rectangle or anything but a oval; but it had a blue zone in the middle. Well I put it in the culet and it floods the gem with a very strange blue. If you flip it upside down the entire body is a very fine pink with the one little blue spot in the center in the culet. It is strange and you have to love it as there is no other like it. If you want a one-of-a-kind gem this is one of those. Very nice gem; well cut for brilliance and easy to find a mount for."

I do love it!
30.gif
30.gif
But what in the world to set it in?! First here are the vendor photos:

ETA: My title didn't come out right - should have been Setting help for "strange" tourmaline (guess it didn't like the quote marks)

PinknBlue_Tourmaline_sidebyside.jpg

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I took some photos of the stone sitting on two ring settings I have - one in yellow gold and two on unplated sterling silver - one shows the pink when the stone is tilted. I'm beginning to think it might need rose gold to bring out the pink in the stone... but I'm not the best judge.
33.gif
Help!

PinknBlue_Tourmaline_settings_sidebyside.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkle,
It''s really unusual that the stone looks green in your picture?
33.gif

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I know... I can only get the blue to show when I''m near a window!

PinknBlue_Tourmaline_sidebyside_bywindow.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Are Dana''s pics more true to life? I would probably use white gold/silver since it would flatter both the pink and the blue. If I were you, I''d put it in a setting with an open profile, so you could see the pink from the sides and the blue from the top. I think it would look nice set E/W in Sally''s lotus setting depending on how big the stone is (it may be a bit too big for such a delicate setting).

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
It's 10.2 x 8.4 - I think I might have trouble getting away with setting it E-W since I wear a 4.5 (the pics were on my index and middle fingers since the settings I have are too big for my ring finger). I do like the idea of an open profile - I wish I could find something like Freke's setting for "big blue." Or maybe another JKT creation... hmm...

The stone looks more gray to me from the top but is definitely pink from the side and bottom with a blue culet.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Stuller Link makes this style for an oval gemstone in just about every size and metal you could want. Your jeweler can order it and set it for you. I''m thinking a simple setting in a white metal would keep the emphasis on the unique color of the stone.

Stuller70531_w_side.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Good idea Fly Girl, mainly because the setting you showed has a nice looking profile, and if a stone is at it''s most interesting when viewed from the side, I''d pay attention to the ring''s profile. You can also ask your jeweller to play a little with the finishes, so your premade setting doesen''t have to look too ordinary and similar to others you''ve seen. I''d be interested to see how that stone would look in a white metal setting with a frosted, matte finish, especially looking from the top. It would allow the stone keep the center stage, while nicely complimenting the steely blue color.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I''ll look into it!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love the setting flygirl posted, or the idea of the EW lotus, but I think I''d prefer setting it in rose gold, that''s just me though...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a cool looking stone!

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results