shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help for my first colored stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nellen

Rough_Rock
I''ve purchased a blue topaz asscher from Doug Menadue (link, the #186) and I have sent it to Sally for a custom sterling silver setting. My first idea was to have the stone bezel set in a basket setting with the side supports being made of rose gold to resemble leaves. After some rough sketches from Sally I surprisingly didn''t like the idea any more and thought an open gallery bezel setting Sally had sketched too was the way to go. So the plan now is to bezel the stone with a thin bezel, create an open gallery setting, make leafy side supports and add some filigree or something else inside/on the edges of the gallery.

But now for the tough part: should I choose the rose gold for the leafy side supports and the filigree, or just the side supports and leave out the rose gold in the filigree or go with a plain silver setting and leave out the rose gold entirely? Will the organic parts and the two-tone metal be too busy for the overall appearance and the light blue stone? Will the rose gold affect the color of the stone when the rose gold is placed inside/on the edges of the gallery?

I''m leaning more towards the option of rose gold in the leafy side supports and silver everywhere else or just the plain silver setting so any ideas and opinions would be welcomed.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I personally am not crazy about the combo of blue stones in rose gold (I''d go for plain silver), but that''s just a matter of preference. If you like it, just go for it. And about your question, it''s hard to answer without seeing any kind of visual, but I''d say rose gold in the gallery should be OK. In fact, since you''ll have elements that''ll look like leaves, maybe that filigree work in the gallery could be done to look like thin branches, like those you can see in an ivy - thin lines with leaves on their ends. But to really look like branches they should be done out of quite thin wire and also not be too symmetrical, so that they look more natural... But that''s just a suggestion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your blue is light, I can see it in rose gold. I have never seen a 2 tone rose + white metal but technically, it could be an interesting combination. It would look like leaves and a flower with the colour differentiating them.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Does this count as 2 tone? If you squint it gives you the white gold/rose gold look.

kiz-asring1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results