shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for new Spess

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I expect to pick up my new spess at the post office tomorrow. I have some ideas for a ring setting but I'm not good at picturing it.

It's just under 8 carats and something like 10X12mm.
1715206831699.png
What I have in mind is a 14k yellow gold setting, with three diamonds at the top of the spess and three diamonds at the bottom (set north-south), inlaid or bezelled. I know there must be inspo rings like that but I haven't been able to find any. Help, please?

ETA: I am also sort of considering using yellow sapphires or something like that but I haven't really liked the rings I was able to find with that combo.

I'm just tired of the white diamond halo I always pick and want to try something different this time. Other ideas are welcome too, if you have any! :)

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i
I expect to pick up my new spess at the post office tomorrow. I have some ideas for a ring setting but I'm not good at picturing it.

1715206831699.png
What I have in mind is a 14k yellow gold setting, with three diamonds at the top of the spess and three diamonds at the bottom (set north-south), inlaid or bezelled. I know there must be inspo rings like that but I haven't been able to find any. Help, please?

ETA: I am also sort of considering using yellow sapphires or something like that but I haven't really liked the rings I was able to find with that combo.

I'm just tired of the white diamond halo I always pick and want to try something different this time. Other ideas are welcome too, if you have any! :)

m so looking forward to seeing this finished
it sounds beautiful
good luck and have fun (orange should always be fun)

edited to add i also get so bored with tradional halos

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This is the closest I can find to what I'm thinking of and it's not very close. I want it to be north-south, all yellow gold, and for the "halo" to be gold with some kind of embossed pattern on the sides (no diamonds). And three bezelled round diamonds at the top and at the bottom.

I wish I could find an inspo ring that's closer to what I envision though so I could get a better idea of how it would look in real life. I would hate to make an expensive mistake.

Will hopefully be able to post a pic of the spess in a while. :)

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!

1715266136866.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than spamming your thread with random ideas I’m not sure youd’d like
If you google image “mabe pearl diamond earrings” /pendants and maybe add in vintage, too.
I think you’ll get a handful or two of ideas that will resonate with you positive or negatively but both ways are helpful!
all yellow gold, and for the "halo" to be gold with some kind of embossed pattern on the sides (no diamonds). And three bezelled round diamonds at the top and at the bottom.
Eager to see and hear what you think of the spess when you get it!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Rather than spamming your thread with random ideas I’m not sure youd’d like
If you google image “mabe pearl diamond earrings” /pendants and maybe add in vintage, too.
I think you’ll get a handful or two of ideas that will resonate with you positive or negatively but both ways are helpful!

Eager to see and hear what you think of the spess when you get it!

Thank you! That's a great idea. Will do.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It's here! I haven't been able to capture how parts of it light up in bright neon orange in the sun, though (or how my other spess lights up, either, in the last pic). At first, I was a little disappointed until I saw parts of it light up when I moved my hand around). It has a lot of life. So anyway, these are my "ugly" pics because I can't seem to do any better today.

I'm wondering if it would benefit from a re-cut. Thoughts?

Also, I'm wondering why it looks so close in size to my other spess (shown in the last picture). The other one is just under 5 carats and this one is just under 8 carats. Maybe the other one just looks larger because it's in a setting.

This one is definitely more red and the other one is more yellow.

spess1.jpg

spess4.jpg

spess5.jpg

spess6.jpg

spess8.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple more, hand shots. I still can't catch the neon orange flashes though. Maybe I'll try again on a sunnier day. I want the new ring to have a larger setting because the other ring looks a little small on my man hand imo. Please excuse chipped polish. Also, the certificate (AGR) just says "Africa" for origin. The certificate was only $12 so I guess ya get what you pay for. :lol-2:

spessa.jpg

spessd.jpg

Last edited:

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock

1715206831699.png

On David Klass's instagram, there's a marquise diamond that has a setting that is EW and diamonds on the EW side. Maybe something like that that can be turned 90 degrees? You might want to check that out for inspiration. You'll have to scroll back a bit, but it's there.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I'm wondering why it looks so close in size to my other spess (shown in the last picture). The other one is just under 5 carats and this one is just under 8 carats. Maybe the other one just looks larger because it's in a setting.

I can think of three contributing factors.
1. The gold bezel.
2. The fact it's a more elongated oval, seems longer, therefore bigger.
3. It's precision cut iirc? So that also plays a role, it's not that bottom heavy.

Btw for whatever reason I can't enlarge your photos to their full size. And I so love to ogle pretty orange gems!

Yes, the native cut on this one gives it a more rounded pavilion, which causes it to be a bit bottom heavy, as @Avondale pointed out. So that could be causing it to face up a little smaller. But it's lovely! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with it!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I emailed the gem cutter to see if he thinks it could benefit from recutting. My guess is "yes." I really love the neon orange flashes and would love to bring them out as much as possible.

Also, for the ring setting, I want a bezel around the spess, then an airgap, then a yellow gold halo. So, I'm wondering if it would look better to have the bezel around the spess done in rose gold instead of yellow gold. If rose gold would go with the stone better and also if the rose gold would look good with the yellow gold of the rest of the ring. ?

Okay, I emailed the gem cutter to see if he thinks it could benefit from recutting. My guess is "yes." I really love the neon orange flashes and would love to bring them out as much as possible.

Also, for the ring setting, I want a bezel around the spess, then an airgap, then a yellow gold halo. So, I'm wondering if it would look better to have the bezel around the spess done in rose gold instead of yellow gold. If rose gold would go with the stone better and also if the rose gold would look good with the yellow gold of the rest of the ring. ?

You certainly have a lot of carat weight to spare. :lol:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I already have a set of assorted size CZs to use for mockups of ring designs but I wanted some yellow gold foil or gold cardboard too, for more realistic mockups when I get my spess back. If anyone ever needs the same, here's one solution for that. :love:

gold foil.jpg

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just came along to say I love the color -- really amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results