shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting buffs, opinion please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Ellen,

I almost went with her for a reset design (the Ribbon ring, with 3 ribbons on the side)...she is a gem! So sweet, and very very responsive. From the few back and forth correspondances we had, she was very in-tune with what I was looking for, and very willing to work with me.

What I have seen from her website, and the photos she sent me of ideas/past work she did, I think her work is lovely! The designing on the baskets are impeccable, I am a real sucker for the "side views!"

Do you have something brewing??

31.gif
28.gif
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok you two, you both found her very, very sweet and helpful, yet neither of you went with her. What''s the catch??
9.gif

How was her pricing?

And thanks, so far, so good. I''m just browsing at the moment.
5.gif

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Her prices were very fair, and far less than what Leon commands.

I was just toying with the option of resetting my centerstone...DH put the kabash on that, so here she sits with her smaller twin sisters.
20.gif

She does have many fun stacking bands however, I too am wondering what her quotes were on them.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
ellen, you asked for my opinion...Meh, is my opinion. Nice but just okay in terms of detail. For example, I dont care for her prong work. The claws are too bulky and lack that fantastic pointed end that Leon does so well. Her flat edged Deco style prongs are also too clunky and obvious, and her regular prongs are too blobby for my taste. I think I judge a jewelery maker a lot by what they''re prongs are like. For me, Leon is it. Nobody comes even close. For instance, I think MWM''s settings are lovely but I think his prongs are too big and obvious. Maybe it''s just my eyes though?...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evie, gotcha, thanks!

SG, interesting. I guess I can see what you''re saying about her prongs to a certain extent, although I also know how deceiving magnified photos are. My X-Prongs prongs (say that fast 3 times) look gargantuous in my pics, yet in real life, they''re truly not that noticable at all. And I''ll be honest, I don''t care about them near as much as I would other details....I''m just not as fanatical as some. Don''t get me wrong, I wouldn''t want to wear something hideous, but some things are more important than others.

Still, I really do appreciate your opinion! Do you really think that pink saphire (4th one down) is meh?
39.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

Depending on the project and the budget they might nice. I''m far more picky when it comes to my e-ring setting than I would be about any other piece of jewelry. I''m with surfgirl re: prongs, detailing but if the price is right it could be a nice ring.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am by no means a setting buff, but I just wanted to say that I think her work is lovely. I really like the designs she has on the colored stone section. And her prongs are not perfect (a la Leon perfection), but IMO they are not bad either, they are much better than a lot of prongs out there.... I know we have all seen MUCH worse.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pave looks even and the designs she tackles are quite nice. Her galleries are imaginative and I like that. But her work is a paler imitation of Leon's though, I agree with surfgirl. It's the little finish details and the prongs, some of the persnickity things aren't 'just so' at 40 mag.

THAT SAID, what we see at 40 mag isn't usually visible when you are looking down at the ring in real life. And the prongs are something that can be emphasized to the designer if she is open to the input and her personality allows that kind of management. So can the polishing (which isn't as crisp as I'd like) and the depth of the engraving (a couple of spots it was light, of course it's hand done, so it happens). I think her work is solid though, and if the price is right, and the project is right... I'd go for it. It just depends on how MUCH less than Leon and so forth she costs and how much easier she is to work with.

I wouldn't throw her out of consideration... not unless I can get Leon or comparable for the same or similar price. Hope that helps.

ETA; Like MrsS I'm pickier with my e-ring than I would be with another piece, so it also depends on the project.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My husband is looking for an entrance gate artist. He has been reviewing all the top premium artisans in our city. He has been sent out to look at the welding on elite estate entrances. They all have what is call sledge? (sp I am sure) It is extra welding material blobbed and messy looking. He made the observation that some low waged welder in the rural part of or city can put out a far greater quality piece. That joint area is all the welder stands on as for detail of his work. Most take great pride and focus on that one area...and do so with perfection. He will not hire the "she she" gate guru guy...not even in a million years. If he has no pride in that detail, the obvious tale tale sign of great work...why should we?

Sometimes, detailed images of an artists work can tell you more about them than actually holding the piece in person. They choose to put this out as their calling card. If it wasn''t good enough...you can just reshoot the item and take a better picture...right? Yes, there is now trickery you can do with photoshop...but you can tell if a photo has been goosed up. When little fibers are still attached to prongs..you can pretty much guarantee there has been no photoshop.

Just as in my husbands welding search...the craftsmanship is in the details...not the finished piece as a whole...with price in the equation. Look closely at finish/polish...angles of diamonds set...milgrain...bezel setting...prong thicknesses ...and if your eye tells you everything measures quality...then you will answer your own question. If however you notice subtle things that seen to have been slid by...or unchecked...as in the welding seams on these gates...then you may be better suited going elsewhere. Settle for nothing...and insist on the best.

DKS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I hear ya. Thank you all so much for your thoughts!

In fairness to her though, I don''t know how fair it is to compare her to Leon, cuz, well, she not him. So we can''t really expect her work to really compare.....

How would her work compare to say, Quest, or WF?? I think that may be a more reasonable question. I would have asked that in the beginning, but I really didn''t think everyone would be comparing her to "the master".
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s kind of hard to say.

In terms of design, I think she''s much better. There is a delicacy in her work that I tend to feel Quest can lack, and a imaginative aspect that WF sometimes doesn''t capture. Both of their work lack some of the artistic flare that I can see very clearly in her work.

BUT both Quest and WF are really good about the finishing details. WF especially is good with finish details (normally, although we''ve seen a couple of cases where this isn''t the case with prong heads and so forth) has really great polish. And both of them are used to their work being scrutized at 40 mag, and they are responsive when something is wrong. They are aware of the fishbowl.

It''s a hard thing to compare.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I agree with the artistic flare she seems to have, that''s kinda what I was thinking when looking at her stuff. But I also know what you mean bout the other two living in a fishbowl.

DK, I really liked your post and analogy, thankies mam.

Good food for thought guys. Much appreciated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, to answer your last question Miss Ellen, I like her better than the last vendors. Hope that helps sweetie!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you mam!!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I think most of her work is devine. The band section is so feminine, whimsical and original.....I was in stacking band heaven!!!
36.gif

And her main setting work definately shows talent and a good eye for details. Some of the work has prongs that are a little bulky, but other settings show that she can do fine prongs also. I think her details are very pretty, especially her designs on the baskets etc.

Like others have said, if she is easy to deal with, and the price is ok, then by all means use her!!! She is definately in a higher league than the other companies mentioned. As for the LM, the master....I think that one day this lady will be right up there. She has a freshness and playfulness that makes her work not as serious as the master, some might prefer that????

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I need your help please. I may be inheriting an art deco broach w/5 carats of diamonds and 3 carats of blue sapphires. I need to get it appraised and was wondering who you used to appraise your beautiful antique ring??? Thanks friend!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remind me never to show any of my jewelry to Surfgirl...yikes!!!!
2.gif

I think her work looks really nice, actually. Even under magnification.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 3:01:36 PM
Author: Skippy123
Ellen, I need your help please. I may be inheriting an art deco broach w/5 carats of diamonds and 3 carats of blue sapphires. I need to get it appraised and was wondering who you used to appraise your beautiful antique ring??? Thanks friend!!!
yikes2.gif
GET OUT!!! Skippers, that sounds, I don''t know what word to use!
lol.gif

I can''t wait to see this, when do you find out?

And I haven''t had the ring appraised yet. My "plan" is to go with hubby and youngest to FL after school is out next year to visit my aunt in Palm Harbor, and see Rich Sherwood who is not very far from her to have it appraised. That is, if she feels like company.
5.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 8:00:42 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/25/2007 3:01:36 PM
Author: Skippy123
yikes2.gif
GET OUT!!! Skippers, that sounds, I don't know what word to use!
lol.gif

I can't wait to see this, when do you find out?

And I haven't had the ring appraised yet. My 'plan' is to go with hubby and youngest to FL after school is out next year to visit my aunt in Palm Harbor, and see Rich Sherwood who is not very far from her to have it appraised. That is, if she feels like company.
5.gif
I will find out at the end of the week; my sister in law didn't want it (there is a long story involved to so I won't bore you w/the details). I will keep you posted. Crossing my fingers and toes it will be mine. When I saw it I thought that is the broach of my dreams, seriously (my heart started to pound super fast). hehee Thanks for letting me know.

ETA: sorry for the hijack.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with Maytal for designs like this if not Leon. I think her work has the level of perfection that Leon's does, just slightly different styles.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, do you know if Maytal works in WG? I didn''t get that impression from her site, and neither does Leon. That makes a difference, as I really don''t want Platinum.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 3:32:36 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Remind me never to show any of my jewelry to Surfgirl...yikes!!!!
2.gif

I think her work looks really nice, actually. Even under magnification.
33.gif
You mean because I''m a prong snob? I cant help it FG! And no, I dont think I could say anything negative about your beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results