shape
carat
color
clarity

Service and emotional-support animals ... Official Rules & Guidelines

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, when out and about with Bibi on my shoulder, I'll be asked by an employee whether Bibi is an emotional-support, or a service animal.
(Apparently there are other categories too.)

Such questions made me curious; are there legal or official rules on this topic?
People with certain disabilities, physical and otherwise, should have rights which aren't extended to everyone who just wants to bring their pet (any pet) with them everywhere.
( ... I can hear it now ... "But but but, if he can bring his parrot in, then why can't I bring my pet rats in?")

What questions can, and can't, the establishment legally ask?
Is professional training of the animal required? (answer is, no)
Must a certificate of the training be carried as proof? (again, no)
Must the animal be trained by an official certified pro? (another no)
Etc. Etc.

Here's a .gov website with 37 such Q&As.
Very interesting ... well, to me at least.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting read, thanks for that.

DK :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People bring pets into the store I work at all the time, mostly dogs but I’ve also seen a cat draped over a man’s shoulder. I wouldn’t dare ask any questions of anyone with an animal because by law there are only certain questions you can ask and certain ways of asking and I don’t want to overstep and violate the law.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's ridiculous! I'm so tired of seeing people in the store or wherever with their dog, who is poorly behaved or walking 5 ft in front of them. There is no way that dog is trained to serve a medical purpose. I think the dogs should be required to have a tag or something showing they are trained/certified, because people definitely take advantage of the privacy laws.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd much rather have a dog or cat in a store than an unruly child. I see more poorly behaved children than I do animals.
(And of course that is usually the parents fault. But another story for another day. I do not blame the child for their behavior).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd much rather have a dog or cat in a store than an unruly child. I see more poorly behaved children than I do animals.
(And of course that is usually the parents fault. But another story for another day. I do not blame the child for their behavior).

+1000 missy! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add ... When asked, I've never lied about Bibi's "status".
Though after reading those 37 Q&A's from the American ADA PDF linked above, I now know it would be true and legal for me to say Bibi is a trained emotional support animal ... trained by me.
In our 8 years together Bibi has brought nothing but joy to literally hundreds patrons of these businesses.

Of the very few times we've been asked, only once was it in a hostile and aggressive manner.
We both just immediately just left the business, politely.

I've learned that the larger the corporations, such as Costco, the higher the odds they tell us no pets ... and I leave Bibi home when patronizing those businesses.

Bibi is most-welcome at small mom and pop businesses, especially those catering mostly to clientele from south of America's border - where many parrots are native and relatively inexpensive.
Usually patrons there have/had an aunt, mother, granny who had a parrot, so they "get it".

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny Bibi is welcome in my home any time. You too

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww missy, you're so sweet. :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results