shape
carat
color
clarity

Seriously Peeved. Venting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I've been at my job since June of 2007. So over a year. On a constant basis, people are calling me by the name of the girl before me, Megan.

At least four people have done this in the past few months. I even got congratulated for getting engaged because someone told another person in the office that "Megan" got engaged. They immediately came over to my desk and congratulated me. Double whammy since I'm already an LIW.
38.gif

These are not people who barely know me. They work with me enough to know my name.

Just last week someone referred to me as "whatshername" to another person and then continued toward my desk. I said "Oh, whatshername?" and she goes "Oh! I didn't know you were here!"... as if that somehow makes it better? You call me "whatshername" when I'm not around?

Today someone came up to my desk and said "Ohhh! I'm so glad youre here!" and asked a favor. I did it, and got a "Thanks Megan!"

I am seriously starting to take this personally. Am I THAT insignificant that you can't even be bothered to remember my name? I know I'm quiet, but sheesh...

Rant Over. This is partially PMS inspired, so be gentle.
17.gif

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I''d be so mad... I hate when people dont know my name that damn well should...

HONESTLY..This is just my personality... But I would wear a name tag... like one of those sticky ones u wore in elementary school that says HI MY NAME IS ...... If they ask why you were it, say because I dont wanna be called Megan or Whatshername... It''d probably make them feel pretty stupid and they wouldnt forget it again..

But that stinks and Im sorry...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh that would be so annoying, especially after working there for so long! Sorry to hear that.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ladies for commiserating. I know it sounds silly but it almost made me snap today! Really irritating.
29.gif

Blonde: I totally thought of the name tag idea! Except instead of putting my name, I was going to put "HI! My name is... Not Megan!"
20.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2008 12:10:23 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Thanks Ladies for commiserating. I know it sounds silly but it almost made me snap today! Really irritating.
29.gif

Blonde: I totally thought of the name tag idea! Except instead of putting my name, I was going to put ''HI! My name is... Not Megan!''
20.gif
GRRRRR! I would be SO pissed off! There is just no excuse for this, after you''ve been working there for OVER A YEAR!!!
38.gif
29.gif

And I loved Blonde''s idea about the name tag! LOL!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just tell them; I told a corp big wig at one of my jobs my name when he got it wrong. I am very easy going but after while I tell them, especially since you have been there awhile; that is just rude!!
38.gif
I would smile and say wellll, my name is actually, Elle.
2.gif
Or you could say "Who's Megan???" haha

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:35:52 PM
Author: Skippy123
I would just tell them; I told a corp big wig at one of my jobs my name when he got it wrong. I am very easy going but after while I tell them, especially since you have been there awhile; that is just rude!!
38.gif
I would smile and say wellll, my name is actually, Elle.
2.gif
Or you could say ''Who''s Megan???'' haha
Ohhh I say something. I''m beyond being nice. I''m insulted!
29.gif

When she called me Megan, I did not smile. I simply looked at her and said "Lauren?"

She says "Ohh Lauren. I''m sorry. It''s my old age!" Then her and another woman got into a discussion about the last time someone forgot my name. Like it''s funny.

Old age would be forgetting my name, not calling me the name of someone else. You just didn''t think about it. And you''re not THAT old! You''re like 60!!!

Gosh I am so heated!!! LOL

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s annoying...but kind of funny at the same time...in a twilight zone kind of way.

I''d just start calling people by wrong names too. They say, "thanks Megan!" To which you reply, "No problem Pepe!" And so on. So juvenile, but yet so satisfying. Hey, if they can''t be bothered to remember your name, why bother to remember theirs?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:44:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal
It's annoying...but kind of funny at the same time...in a twilight zone kind of way.

I'd just start calling people by wrong names too. They say, 'thanks Megan!' To which you reply, 'No problem Pepe!' And so on. So juvenile, but yet so satisfying. Hey, if they can't be bothered to remember your name, why bother to remember theirs?
Funny in retrospect (in like a week I'll probably be amused
1.gif
), but right now I'm irritated. Probably because it happens so much, and then today it happens by one of the people here that I like the least.

I think she is the straw that broke the camels back. The annoying, irritating, condescending straw...
9.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
This happened to me on the elevator a few weeks ago.

Coworker and I: blah blah blah work blah blah blah
Random woman gets in elevator: OMG, you're here. Thank you so much for all the work you did on x project. I don't know what we would have done without you. The reports look great and we're going to use that outline going forward.
Me: You are very welcome
1.gif

Random woman getting off elevator: Thanks again!
Me: Ok bye
1.gif

I have NO idea who that woman was or what the heck she was talking about.

Do you correct them when they call you Meghan? You should every single time they say it so that they can see it bothers you and they condition themselves to learning your name.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:10:23 PM
29.gif

Blonde: I totally thought of the name tag idea! Except instead of putting my name, I was going to put ''HI! My name is... Not Megan!''
20.gif
You should totally do this!! At least you have a good sense of humor. I don''t blame you for being mad. But your name doesn''t sound at all similar to Megan, does it? That Megan sounds like she made quite an impression. Geez. How rude are some people?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
That kind of thing makes me sooo mad! This cheerleader in high school called me "hoops girl" (I was wearing silver hoop earrings) repeatedly until I looked at her. She wanted me to buy a cheerleading calendar
20.gif
We were in the same class and I knew HER name... why can''t she remember mine? I did NOT buy a calendar.

Honestly, if it were me, I would HATE me job and want to quit. If no one knew my name and they thought it was a big joke... I''d probably want to find a job where I was more respected.

Not saying you should quit... that''s just my personality and what I would do. I''m sorry you have to deal with ignorant people.
38.gif
Get a name tag or one of those things that sits on your desk with your name on it maybe.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:44:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal
It''s annoying...but kind of funny at the same time...in a twilight zone kind of way.

I''d just start calling people by wrong names too. They say, ''thanks Megan!'' To which you reply, ''No problem Pepe!'' And so on. So juvenile, but yet so satisfying. Hey, if they can''t be bothered to remember your name, why bother to remember theirs?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh goodness.

Elle, I''m sorry that''s happening to you. It would really drive me nuts. I''m bad with names (I called my friend Billy "Jimmy" for 3 weeks when I first met him) but even I can remember names after a year! I really hope there''s a way to get them to stop. Have you tried just not responding at all when they call you Megan? Just stonewall it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate it when people forget my name!!

I have been married since my children started school. The head teacher had a really bad habit of calling me by my maiden name. She would walk past me and say 'good morning Ms Wotsit' and I would say... 'No, its Thingy now.'

This went on for about 7 or 8 months. Now I know that she has a lot of mothers to remember but I corrected her every day.

One morning I had raging PMS. I walked towards her in the yard and true to form she said 'Morning Ms Wotsit'. I let her get past me before I turned round and yelled at the top of my voice.. 'MY NAME IS THINGY!!!!!!!'

I have never seen someone look so shocked. But it worked. She calls me by my proper name now!
9.gif

(sorry about the wotsit and thingy names.. didnt want to put my proper name for obvious reasons - I don't want Skippy to stalk me.... actually I do... maybe I should change it lol!!)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 1:26:53 PM
Author: Maisie
I hate it when people forget my name!!

I have been married since my children started school. The head teacher had a really bad habit of calling me by my maiden name. She would walk past me and say ''good morning Ms Wotsit'' and I would say... ''No, its Thingy now.''

This went on for about 7 or 8 months. Now I know that she has a lot of mothers to remember but I corrected her every day.

One morning I had raging PMS. I walked towards her in the yard and true to form she said ''Morning Ms Wotsit''. I let her get past me before I turned round and yelled at the top of my voice.. ''MY NAME IS THINGY!!!!!!!''

I have never seen someone look so shocked. But it worked. She calls me by my proper name now!
9.gif

(sorry about the wotsit and thingy names.. didnt want to put my proper name for obvious reasons - I don''t want Skippy to stalk me.... actually I do... maybe I should change it lol!!)

ha ha ha ha ha Maisie, you crack me up.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery: I do correct them, fortunately there''s only been one repeat offender, and he''s retired now. I think it''s just bad luck on my part that it happens so often, but from so many different sources.

Allison: Her name is Megan, mine is Lauren. I guess we sound kind of similar, but I know Megan. She''s friends with my boyfriend. She looks and acts NOTHING like me. So its strange.

Oobie: I thought about storming out making a huge scene and quitting. But that was just a PMS-fueled fantasy. LOL
2.gif
No reason to quit at all, I do like working here, it just really rubbed me the wrong way today.

Princesss: I think I may throw ignoring people in there a bit also. I shall couple ignoring with a few random snotty glances.
11.gif

Maisie: Ha!! That is great! I swear PMS gives me a spine sometimes, too.
1.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''d buy a plaque for my desk. People are sooo rude.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 2:24:19 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

I have a plaque on my desk.

I know it''s just sooo hard to look down at it!!
20.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elle, I would do exactly what TravelingGal said.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 2:25:38 PM

I have a plaque on my desk.

20.gif

Gosh, after all this time you''d think people would grab a clue!
38.gif
If they can''t see your name plaque, maybe you should print a small banner that says "It''s Lauren, not Megan" and hang it across your desk. I like TGal''s idea too!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
its time for a name tag for awhile...who are these people you work with?!...scary.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elle, I am beginning to think they do it on purpose just to get a rise out of you.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 2:25:38 PM

<Sigh>I have a plaque on my desk.

20.gif

SERIOUSLY?! They have to be doing this on purpose...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I just received a file from someone with an attached inter-office routing slip (she''s in my office), and it was addressed to Megan... AGAIN. But she even used my last name!!!

How do you get my first name wrong and remember my last?

I am seriously wondering if there is some huge office wide joke going on...?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:54:50 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Do you correct them when they call you Meghan? You should every single time they say it so that they can see it bothers you and they condition themselves to learning your name.

Yes, tiring, but so necessary. You must tell them your name. Over and over and over and over and over and over again! And then they can get to know you and like you.
28.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:04:22 PM
Author: blondebunny
OMG I''d be so mad... I hate when people dont know my name that damn well should...

HONESTLY..This is just my personality... But I would wear a name tag... like one of those sticky ones u wore in elementary school that says HI MY NAME IS ...... If they ask why you were it, say because I dont wanna be called Megan or Whatshername... It''d probably make them feel pretty stupid and they wouldnt forget it again..

But that stinks and Im sorry...
This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

But I have to admit, Tgal''s idea is way funnier.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 9:30:22 AM
Ok, I just received a file from someone with an attached inter-office routing slip (she''s in my office), and it was addressed to Megan... AGAIN. But she even used my last name!!!

How do you get my first name wrong and remember my last?

I am seriously wondering if there is some huge office wide joke going on...?
Can you call a meeting?? I''m only half kidding....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results