shape
carat
color
clarity

SERIOUSLY?! $150K for a Hot Pink Topaz specimen?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I saw this crystal specimen online. Accdg to the seller, it weights 2.5 kg and the topaz crystal is approximately 15ct to 16cts from Katlang, Pakistan. Price tag: $150,000!
23.gif
I know Hot Pink Topaz is extremely rare but the prize is just waaayyy too high IMO.

>just my .2c<

Anyway, here are some vendor''s pic. *Enjoy*

pt1.JPG

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
6.gif
150k???

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Holy Cow!! That is pretty, but 150K?

Crystal keeper

Rough_Rock
I sell natural non treated imperial pink topaz crystals from Ouro preto..these from katlang are super rare..I have been trying to get my contacts in pakistan to get some for awhile now and they are around but super expensive..now this one you posted, blith, has the color of a treated one but I am sure it is not thats is why the super high price..you don''t ever really see a natural pink color like that..it''s one inb a million. A stone like that is 1000''s times rare than benitoite and 500 times rarer than red beryl believe it or not....that stone would be considered a lavender and not hot pink as that term is not used in gems technically...a lavender clean ouro preto imperial cost $1000 a gram standing at the mines straight from the ground..katlangs and especially one of that color is one in a million..I can undertand the price but not that high..thats way way over priced even for such a super rare stone

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 2:57:55 AM
Author: Crystal keeper
....that stone would be considered a lavender and not hot pink as that term is not used in gems technically...
How on earth would that stone be considered lavender? I don't mean to be rude, but I would have thought for a stone to be called lavender that it would approximate the colour of, well, lavender:

**Edited by Moderator. No links to outside blogs or picture hosting**

There isn't enough blue in that topaz to dip it into purple, let alone violet. If anything, it is closer to cyclamen (even if that is not a term used in gems technically):

http://www.flowers-cs.com/Pictures/CYCLAMEN.jpg

Very pretty crystal, though - but not how I would spend my $150K!
25.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool photos! Way out of my price range LOL. Thanks for sharing!
21.gif

Crystal keeper

Rough_Rock
Yes you are right, Kim..don''t know what I was thinking..it was 3 a.m. in the morning when I posted...LOL more like a super saturated pink. That is a very unnatural color. Normally if I saw that color red flags would be flying as topaz just doesn''t come naturally in that color..at least not often. If that is a true deep pink like the price way over reflects then that is one of the best pink topaz''s I have evern seen color wise. They just never come in that color so I am still wary. By god for 150K that topaz had better cook and clean for me and wash my car...LOL

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks extremely pink to me and very saturated for a pink topaz. Do you know if it has been treated in any way? I haven’t seen any unheated/untreated pink with that colour intensity but if it is untreated which is different from a vendor saying it is natural because a stone can be natural and treated at the same time.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for clearing that up, Crystal keeper.
1.gif
I thought it was one of those things where the original reference point for a colour had lost its meaning. Botanists, for instance, are famously colour blind, and will readily describe any purple or violet flower as blue.

On a related note: Does topaz occur naturally in any tone of violet or purple?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someone should buy it and post RL pictures! LOL j/k.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
I''m a collector but apparently not that much of one!!

-A

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys, here''s the link btw: KATLANG PINK TOPAZ ($150K)

...I have to agree, this kind of topaz is extremely rare. It''s like searching a needle in a haystack. I so love its rich pink color. Darn, why does it have to be sooo expensive?
39.gif
*huhuhu*

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
As long as we are talking about pink topaz, Dana at mastercutgems has a natural pink topaz for sale at a very reasonable price. Pretty nice pink, although not hot pink, of course. Link

pinktopaz20822.jpg

Crystal keeper

Rough_Rock
I also remember Master cutter John Dyer saying that he bought or had someone buy an imperial topaz that cost more than a house..and he was being serious..a true imperial has either pink, purple, or red in it..those oranges and yellows you see everyone calling imperial are truly not ones..so from that phrase that John said I can believe that certain pinks, pruples , or reds can cost out the wazoo but I am sure the one he was referring to must have been 100 grams and gem clean or something to cost that much

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
While we are talking about Pink Topaz.

I was told by the seller that my stone is unheated and untreated and that it came out of the ground that way and then he cut it.

Its 3.67cts Its not that saturated in colour but has a lot of fire!

Is this stone considered rare???

How do you ''rate'' my stone?

lass_pink_topaz_01.jpg

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Oh, but mine is from Pakistan

1 more pic

lass_pink_topaz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results