shape
carat
color
clarity

Sending my ring in... precautions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sending my ring in to Vatche for "service" (sizing and to have one of the prongs straightened after I knocked it). What are the precautions I should take in sending it? FedEx, right? Should I pay to have it insured?

Kind of a stupid question but I don't want to make the wrong choices and then have my ring lost along the way!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Musey,
I've heard that Fedex does not cover diamonds, gemstones and jewellery. Jewellers who send via Fedex have their own seperate insurance which covers loss and damage during the shipping process. It is recommended that regular folks like you and me use the USPS (registered with insurance included). It is the safest way as it will be under lock and key all the way. If it is already set (as yours is), UPS might be the other option if you don't like the postal service.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, thank you!! I wouldn''t have known. I prefer USPS in general, anyway. I''ve never shipped insured before... will I need a receipt or appraisal? Or do they just take your word for it on the value?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've shipped a ring for repairs before using USPS registered mail. As far as I can remember, the clerk told me that there is automatic insurance for up to 25K and you do have to state the value. Nobody will ask you to prove the value of the ring at the post office. They just want you to put down a number.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks baby monster! That helps a lot. I guess I''m ready to part with my ring now...
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A small tip about packaging:
When packing, I usually wrap the ring in a cotton pad (or put it into a gemstone plastic case), put some bubble wrap over it the case, then enclose it in a small plastic bag (zip-able type). I then tape the bag to the inside of the small USPS box so that it won''t rattle when shaken. I mean, really tape it all over to make sure the tape holds.
9.gif

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2007 2:15:34 PM
Author: Chrono
A small tip about packaging:
When packing, I usually wrap the ring in a cotton pad (or put it into a gemstone plastic case), put some bubble wrap over it the case, then enclose it in a small plastic bag (zip-able type). I then tape the bag to the inside of the small USPS box so that it won''t rattle when shaken. I mean, really tape it all over to make sure the tape holds.
9.gif
Wow, that is some serious packaging
2.gif

I guess I fall short in that department. No wonder my presents always look like I used 2 left hands to wrap them
3.gif
. I just put a cotton pad over the stone in the ring box and put it in the shipping box with some crumpled newspapers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baby Monster,
Your method sounds so easy. My problem is that I don''t have newspapers at home (plus I''m just protective and anal like that.
11.gif
).

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for USPS registered. It is literally locked up the whole way. Only senior staff can touch it, and every person who touches it has to sign for it. So, if it disappears, the hand is as red as can be. That''s why they can afford to give you the free insurance! The chances of something happening are next to nil.

Now, the only thing to take into account is that this kind of attention makes it fairly slow. Count on a week at least. But worth it! Plus, it shouldn''t cost more than $10 at the most.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 2:51:19 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Another vote for USPS registered. It is literally locked up the whole way. Only senior staff can touch it, and every person who touches it has to sign for it. So, if it disappears, the hand is as red as can be.
Sweet! That makes me feel a LOT better.

Chrono, I''ll pack it the way you suggested. Thank you
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did USPS registerd when I sent two rings into Wink for repair a couple of weeks ago.

It takes a little longer than regular first class mail, but is totally worth it. I declared the value, and the clerk didn''t say a thing. It got to Wink safely in less than a week. Little advice. Put your name and address and instructions regarding the repair in package. Helps a lot.
2.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I third (or fourth) the USPS idea. That''s how we have people send stuff back, and it''ll hardly cost anything, I believe around $25.00 for $25k worth of insurance. Takes a little longer but we''ve never had anything get lost.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to be aware of is that you should avoid, if possible, putting the name of the jeweler or anything that indicates what you are sending in the address. Like, don''t write "Vatche, PO Box ###, etc." See if you can get the name of a person or an anonymous address from them to serve as the addressee. Does that make sense? You should be quite safe anyway going with the registered/insured USPS, but just to be sure.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 3:41:59 PM
Author: Gypsy
I did USPS registerd when I sent two rings into Wink for repair a couple of weeks ago.
Gypsy, mine are going through Wink to Vatche as well. What was the turnaround time for yours? I guess it probably varies a lot... It took about 6 weeks from the time they received our stone to the time we got the finished ring back. I hope it won't take that long this time, I would be sad to be without it!

(I'm having a prong fixed, the ring sized and polished, if that makes a difference)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh for reference of any future readers... I sent LA to Boise, ID, registered and insured USPS mail, no rush delivery, and it came out to $24
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was soooo grateful for this post.

I sent my e-ring to Wink from Chicago on Friday and was all set to go to FedEx.

My first trip to a US post office was quite an experience - but the guy was so nice. There wasn''t a box that would fit - either huge or too small - so he found a sellotape box and emptied all the contents out and gave it to me for free. It cost me $20 total with UPS Registered Post, so I was very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results