shape
carat
color
clarity

semi-mount sizes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I just purchased a gemstone that is slightly off round. The dimensions are 8.1x 7.1 x4.5. Do you think I can use an 8 mm round for the setting? I''d rather not go custom.

Thanks,

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on the setting. For a halo setting you''ll probably struggle because if you imagine a circle, where your gem squishes in a little at the sides, you''ll have an airline and may be able to see part of the basket underneath. However, if you got a setting where the gem was raised above the setting and held in place by 4 claws this shouldn''t be a problem. This is the sort of design I mean (but ignore the size etc as it''s just to show you the picture).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220537321743&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D220537321743%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Again,

Thanks so much for your input. I will keep it in mind.

I take it you''re from the U.K. I lived there about a yr when I was younger. My brother now lives there with his wife who is English. Beautiful country. My American nieces love it there and are staying.
Thanks for your help. The reason I don''t say what the gemstone is, is that I haven''t seen it yet. Might have to send it back. But, i still get ahead of myself.

Thanks

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries! I think we all do that! I''m waiting for a couple of arrivals and have already picked out their settings! I have to keep holding back to not buy just in case the gems have to go back!

Yes, I''m in the UK. It is beautiful but cold and snowy at the moment
7.gif
Since I love hot weather I''m certainly in the wrong country!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results