shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Large high quality emerald

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I am not an emerald person, but my friend is looking for a large high quality emerald and has asked me to help her look. Anyone know of any good dealers and some nice classic settings? She likes bling, and has large and long fingers, so I think she is looking for a fairly rectangular emerald with a larger L/W ratio... She's been to the major jewelry stores, but really wants to have more carat weight for her budget... Any ideas?

Also, anyone with emeralds, what are some things to look for specifically? I gave her the AGA charts, but wondering if anyone has anything you can say about which table and depth percentages you noticed to be more pleasing? Thanks!!!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
you do mean emerald cut diamond right>?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know of "windowshopper"s stone, right ? That one turned a dazzler.

I hope she will get to look for better info than table and depth to begin with
7.gif
Anyway, if this one must be long (assume about l:w =1.6- 1.7:1 ) than those depth and table % need a grain of salt since they are taken relative to the narrow side of the diamond which is now quite a bit narowwer than usual. But you know this already... Any chance to see the diamond candidates down here ?
2.gif

(btw. - posting in the same time with WS!!!)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
She''s in the seeking stage, and yes it is for an emerald DIAMOND...sorry. I plum forgot to add that!

That was why I was wondering about the depth and table ratios, since the L:W would be so different...She likes it longer and more slender, but at that size it surely won''t look like a baguette!

Window Shopper, please refresh my memory on your search, as i haven''t been too active on PS lately (studying), and would love to know how your search went, and what sort of things you picked up about emeralds that may help out in her search... THANKS!!!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2005 4:58:11 PM
Author: valeria101
You know of 'windowshopper's stone, right ? That one turned a dazzler.

I hope she will get to look for better info than table and depth to begin with
7.gif
Anyway, if this one must be long (assume about l:w =1.6- 1.7:1 ) than those depth and table % need a grain of salt since they are taken relative to the narrow side of the diamond which is now quite a bit narowwer than usual. But you know this already... Any chance to see the diamond candidates down here ?
2.gif

(btw. - posting in the same time with WS!!!)
hi ana.............i see the word emerald and my mind goes blank..........my ring should be completed sometime in the next week or so
emteeth.gif
. Nicrez: have you any idea of her specs--carat and color and such--we could do a search and get a preliminary idea. I purchased my stone through Dirt Cheap Diamonds and they have an amazing supplier IMO of high cut EC's.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2005 53:59 PM
Author: Nicrez

... at that size it surely won''t look like a baguette!
34.gif
link to two four carat F VS1 baguettes and a slender better & bigger & long thing

48323.jpg
27477.jpg

Didn''t have to look far... for just anything at all. Sounds crazy to consider such things based on a bitmap though - even if high resolution
11.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2005 5
6.gif
3:59 PM
Author: Nicrez
She''s in the seeking stage, and yes it is for an emerald DIAMOND...sorry. I plum forgot to add that!

That was why I was wondering about the depth and table ratios, since the L:W would be so different...She likes it longer and more slender, but at that size it surely won''t look like a baguette!

Window Shopper, please refresh my memory on your search, as i haven''t been too active on PS lately (studying), and would love to know how your search went, and what sort of things you picked up about emeralds that may help out in her search... THANKS!!!
i stuck to my guns on depth as you lose so much carat weight on the step cut stones there. mine falls into 1A cut category across the board (extremely difficult to find) with the exceptions of a 17% crown. and a 59% table correspondingly --which i was fine with--great oomph to the stone. ONE key thing I learned--most of them are flat as pancakes which is why they look dull unless immaculately clean. A crown of 12 plus is pretty important. I know there are pretty stones with 9/10 but they disappear into their settings to my eye.

specs of mine are...

ratio--1.35
3.18 carat
D
VS2
10.14 x 7.51 x 4.65
depth 61.9
table 59%
girdle VT to Sl thk
culet small
Polish VG
Symmetry Good
Flour Faint
Comments none

nowadays this is considered going on lean!!!!!!!!I think its perfect. less they are too blocky yet they arent asschers andover 1.45 i think they look spindly.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well her specs range from 6-7 carats+ E or F color, and I suggested she go to a VS1 or VS2 (but she is considering VVS1&2s).

Since she is literally all about size, I figure with a stone that large, and a bad cut and it will just look like glass in a setting. So a 12% crown is a good start huh?

We have been looking at slender stones, and even fatter stones, but the slender ones seem to fit her quite well... I figure a slender stone with side baguettes? Perhaps to add Umph, some other shaped side stone? Rounds? Or would that look silly... Pears?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
holy smokes...

1-first yes a crown of roughly 12 plus is a must in a well cut stone
2- i think trapezoids are a fabulous choice for a slender EC
3-i think this vendor via DCD may be a great source for her. They specialize in the classic EC and the smallest Ec they had was 3 carats. I actually went there directly but purchased through DCD as she would need to do as well. One ring they with the stone already mounted that i flipped over was (not for her but i am thinking of the style) was a 3 carat 1.5 ratio stone set low to the hand with the shank entirely set with baguettes --running loengthwise down the shank--magnficent--.

She should contact Jim at DCD and give hime her specs and he can get her some stones lined up when shes ready.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not thet there will be lots of room for side stones, and they are harder to fit the slender emerald cuts... but hei, there seems to be some opening for all sorts of options there.

IMO, half moon and traps come to mind
9.gif

The bigger the diamond, the more important those specs - not just for looks, but for size too. And there may be some difficulty lining up several options at a time. Hope things work out beautifully with the respective ingredients.

How does 10 carat G/VS sound ? Tinted ?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I think she would be over the moon for a 10ct... I can''t say a G is all that yellow, especially if it is well cut. She wanted a D initially, but I explained the lower color=bigger, and she seemed to heed on that account.

Yes, large stone. How do you think my little stone felt as she tried on these monsters all over the diamond district. What was annoying was that a few jewelers didn''t take us seriously when we went to search on 47th street. One guy ignored us, as I was dressed casually for school, even though she looked fabulous. I guess I brought her status down! :)

DCD has offices that she can view the stones in NYC right? I know when I searched, they only allowed viewing through an approved appraiser, David Wolf, I believe? Is there any other way?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i know mine initially went to david wolf--yes an appraiser of her choice i would imagine. i think they will do two stones sent for free for you to loko at--HOWEVER in her ballpark$$$ they may make an allowance --she should call jim schultz and start working with him on how to proceed

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know of an appraiser in NYC other than David Wolf? Would DCD ship to anyone else I wonder... I guess she will have to deal with them on such issues, I figured i would ask though...

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
yes there are a bunch of good ones

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
a thought--at that size and price--shouldnt she try on a number decide on her absolute minimum in size and ratio that call in a few through a vendor. if she wants to save by going the e-vendor way then she will not have the ability to get 20 stones in front of her as though its T & co or HW

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there any way you can post photos of the finished product? I would *love* to see how your friend''s ring turns out!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of unrelated, but couldn''t keep it to myself anyway
2.gif
I know this is relatively cheap, but the photos helped comiserate on your shopping experinece. Darn thing !

1004f.JPG

link to source

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
ana: how big was that stone!?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2005 9:37:29 AM
Author: windowshopper
ana: how big was that stone!?
Here it is: link ( 10 carat, 14 x 10mm). That not a small calculator!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Justin Krall is another appraiser in NYC. He is very patient and generous with his time and is very reasonable for NYC. He is at 43 West 47th and is listed here under resources. I was very pleased with him and have sent several people there.
Good luck with your studies. I hope you are enjoying the GIA program.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results