shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking antique and tension setting sites and ideas for new Ideal/ AGS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katealt

Rough_Rock
I just bought my diamond yesterday and am so excited! It is an AGS "000" (0 +ideal polish and sym), .83ct, J, VS1. and rates EX on the GIA facetware calc. and EX.EX.EX.VG on the Holloway Cut Adviser. I want to show off the fire and sparkles this diamond should show (I haven''t seen it yet, bought it over the internet). I have always thought I would get an antique style setting and have researched tons of sites with a few styles I really like in my price range. I don''t want to spend more than $700, but have found a couple of really nice ones I like for $300-500 but nothing perfect. Now I am thinking a tension setting or something similar ("floating" or semi tension perhaps) to show off this amazing cut diamond. Do you guys have sites for me to see such settings? I did check out all the antique setting style sites listed in previous posts on the subject, but if anyone has further sites, that would be great. Also, if anyone has info on wheather tension settings are safe, that would be great, I''ve read mixed reports.

Thanks, Kate
35.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock

katealt

Rough_Rock
THanks for the links to those nice settings. I hadn''t really considered those from Fay, though I had others they have. NOw that you mention them, they are very nice. The Vatche rings are a whole new way to go and I do like the style, simple and elegant. I read the thread about the tension ring where the diamond was lost and it is scary enough to not consider a tension setting. I''ll show you a few antique style settings I like and am considering (how do you attach multiple pictures?).

This one sits really high to me, with high prongs, but the setting is my favorite and I love the two tone b/c I wear both yellow gold and silver.

katealt

Rough_Rock
This one is pictured with a diamond that I think must be just sitting on top, not properly set, just to give the idea... I think it looks funny that way. So you have to imagine it set properly. It is white gold.

katealt

Rough_Rock
This one the store doesn''t have any more photos available (annharrington.com), which is a real shame because I think I really like this one, but the photo quality is bad and I want to see the detail of the engraving and the head of the ring.

katealt

Rough_Rock
side view of same ring

platinum ring3.jpg

katealt

Rough_Rock
This photo shows the accent diamonds sides.

platinum ring2.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, i really like the one with the yellow gold.

just a side note, Demelza said in another thread she purchased an eterntiy band from antiqueengagmentrings.com and wasn''t happy with the quality. you can PM her for more details. I think they would be safe to buy true antique rings but not sure i''d want to take the risk on the setting
1.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a vendor that has a few things here in the PS gallery that has an-E-bay store, and the things look very nice although I''ve never purchased from them (I ALMOST did, though) - it''s Firenze

They have a number of settings in your style and price range, it seems, like this one

or this one that looks a lot like the ring palegirl888 posted recently (pic attached. You can link to her ring through the Eye Candy folder).

There are more - some more ornate, some simpler, but I like them, and the quality appears to be quite good. Just food for thought!

palegirl888 0.7ct center a.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2005 12:07:40 AM
Author: katealt

This one sits really high to me, with high prongs, but the setting is my favorite
The prongs look weird like that because the setting is new and the prongs have not been cut yet. The girdle of the diamond can sit right over the bezel underneath - if it fits. Actually, those prongs are too thin to hold a diamond high up. Overall, it looks like a relatively low setting to me: once set,k there will not be allot of room between the culet and the hand, and this setting seems to have been made to best fit a diamond under 1 ct (unless the ring is unusually large so that the proportions of the picture are missleading.

Hope this helps :)

katealt

Rough_Rock
I have checked out Firenze and emailed them regarding one of their settings... we''ll see if they have more photos. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I like a few of their settings and we''ll see if one pans out. As far as the info on the prongs, I never realised that they get cut! This makes me feel much better about the settings as the prongs wouldn''t be so high.

Check out this ring I found at http://engagement-ring-mountings.com/ring_settings_info.php?id=982

It isn''t antique styling, but I love it and I love how it shows the whole diamond from the side (I''ll post another photo of it below). It''s only $425! But it says for a 7mm diamond (mine is 6mm) so I''ve emailed them to see if mine would fit. They have two other settings I like, too.

real contender setting.jpg

katealt

Rough_Rock
I LOVE this!

katealt

Rough_Rock
The photo didn''t go through before.

real contender 2.jpg

katealt

Rough_Rock
I really like this Firenze setting they have listed on ebay for $750.

katealt

Rough_Rock
THis is the side view of the Firenze ring.

katealt

Rough_Rock
My diamond has arrived at my mom''s and she says, "It is gorgeous, breath-taking, and it sparkles a lot! In the sunlight, it has amazing tiny sparkling irridescence. You will love it!".

I am so excited!!!!! It is almost in my hot little hand!

What do you think of this plain setting to show off the ring? It is so wide and my diamond will be smaller than the one pictured, so it may look smaller in this wide setting, but I love the size view.

katealt

Rough_Rock
Side view that shows off the diamond of the $230 plain wide setting.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 8:28:49 AM
Author: mrssalvo
just a side note, Demelza said in another thread she purchased an eterntiy band from antiqueengagmentrings.com and wasn''t happy with the quality. you can PM her for more details. I think they would be safe to buy true antique rings but not sure i''d want to take the risk on the setting
1.gif

Katealt--just sent you a pm.

Actually, I bought a replica setting from them and was not very pleased with the quality. They ended up having to do a repair on the head because they made it too small to accommodate my center stone. It was the worst repair job I''ve ever seen -- sloppy, uneven, rough. Just one experience, though. I''m sure there are many other positive accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results