shape
carat
color
clarity

Second Life? I think I just don''t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 7:19:40 PM
Author: Haven
I don''t think it''s the spending time chatting and creating relationships online that is weird*, it is the way that Second Life seems to create a virtual reality that is disconnected from one''s real life. It is the fact that people can ''marry'' others or ''date'' others on SL, but it isn''t really a marriage or a relationship that I don''t understand.

The article I linked talks about how this woman had a ''virtual'' boyfriend, which insinuates that they weren''t dating IRL. I don''t understand that. I don''t consider the conversations I''ve engaged in on PS and the relationships I''ve built with other PSers to be fake, a part of a ''virtual'' reality. If I recognized Gypsy in real life, for example, I''d say ''HEY!!!! Gypsy! It''s Haven from PS! Oh my gosh, I can''t believe I''m meeting you in real life!'' I wouldn''t walk away because I only know her in virtual reality. THAT is the part that is a bit bizarre to me.

*OBVIOUSLY! I met my hubby on jdate.com, and I spend quite a bit of time chatting it up with you lovely ladies on PS.

I think maybe you are nto considering a "virtual" boyfriend to be an "online" boyfriend. This man and woman from the article met in real life - you would never have a desire to meet a virtual boyfriend, because he isn''t real. He''s pixels and text on a screen. A long distance, online boyfriend, however, you WOULD meet, because you interact outside of the game.

I see no difference between this and role-playing. Which I have also done.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 10:08:27 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

I don''t think it''s the spending time chatting and creating relationships online that is weird*, it is the way that Second Life seems to create a virtual reality that is disconnected from one''s real life. It is the fact that people can ''marry'' others or ''date'' others on SL, but it isn''t really a marriage or a relationship that I don''t understand.

The article I linked talks about how this woman had a ''virtual'' boyfriend, which insinuates that they weren''t dating IRL. I don''t understand that. I don''t consider the conversations I''ve engaged in on PS and the relationships I''ve built with other PSers to be fake, a part of a ''virtual'' reality. If I recognized Gypsy in real life, for example, I''d say ''HEY!!!! Gypsy! It''s Haven from PS! Oh my gosh, I can''t believe I''m meeting you in real life!'' I wouldn''t walk away because I only know her in virtual reality. THAT is the part that is a bit bizarre to me.

*OBVIOUSLY! I met my hubby on jdate.com, and I spend quite a bit of time chatting it up with you lovely ladies on PS.

I think maybe you are nto considering a ''virtual'' boyfriend to be an ''online'' boyfriend. This man and woman from the article met in real life - you would never have a desire to meet a virtual boyfriend, because he isn''t real. He''s pixels and text on a screen. A long distance, online boyfriend, however, you WOULD meet, because you interact outside of the game.

But that''s exactly the point--the article insinuates that they were only "virtual" boyfriend/girlfriend. They were not dating online, they were in a fake relationship. THAT is what I don''t understand.
Did you read the article? It will make more sense if you do.

I have no problem with any of it, I just don''t understand how people can interact with other REAL people online, yet consider it to be a virtual relationship.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 10:54:12 PM
Date: 9/5/2008 10:08:27 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

I think maybe you are nto considering a ''virtual'' boyfriend to be an ''online'' boyfriend. This man and woman from the article met in real life - you would never have a desire to meet a virtual boyfriend, because he isn''t real. He''s pixels and text on a screen. A long distance, online boyfriend, however, you WOULD meet, because you interact outside of the game.

But that''s exactly the point--the article insinuates that they were only ''virtual'' boyfriend/girlfriend. They were not dating online, they were in a fake relationship. THAT is what I don''t understand.

Did you read the article? It will make more sense if you do.

I have no problem with any of it, I just don''t understand how people can interact with other REAL people online, yet consider it to be a virtual relationship.

I did, I found it horrifying, because that exact scenario happens more than it should
8.gif

But still, even though it states "virtual", you don''t meet a virtual boyfriend...you do meet an online one. I don''t know how to explain it to you, unless you have actually done it. I had "virtual" everything when I was online like this, because I roleplayed, but I had no desire to meet them outside of our game because the conversations/scenarios/etc. were made up to portray someone that the person was not in real life. I did meet a couple online boyfriends, though, because even though it was all text, it was the same as dating - we were sharing things with each other that were true, not claiming to be perfect versions of ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results