shape
carat
color
clarity

Second homes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I'm referring to weekend places rather than rental properties.

My husband and I are looking to buy a place in Connecticut (we live in Manhattan) to use at weekends. Before we definitely make the purchase, we want to hear stories from other second homers.

How often do you use your home?
Do you see it as a burden at all i.e costs of caretaker/gardener etc.?
Do you use the place much in winter?
Would you argue against the idea of a second home in favour of continued summer rentals?

Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wish i had your problem.
28.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ursula,

I don''t have any specific advice for you, but just wondering what part of CT you are looking at. Litchfield county? I know a lot of Manhattan folks have been buying in the Litchfield area for a while now, so I wondered. I am in CT, but not that part of the state, though I do think it is so beautiful. Just drove through last weekend on our way to upstate NY and must go back soon for the antique shops!!

Also, a lot of people own second homes in areas that are much farther away from their main residence, so you might find that you get a lot more use out of a second home in CT, since you are a relatively short drive away. For instance, I often wonder about the people on House Hunters International, who buy second homes in Europe or South America and plan to vacation there for two weeks out of the year! Uhm, why not just rent an apartment or house for the time that you plan to be there? But, like I said, your situation sounds much different.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the idea of a get away in CT, I would imagine you would get a lot of use out of it.

We have 2 second homes. The first one is in Nantucket. We use it from June through September.. Sometimes we will go for Thanksgiving, we have family there, so it's really nice. I love going off season.

We bought my parents house in FLA outside of Palm Beach about a year ago. Renovated it. We rent it for the season Dec thru March or into early April. The couple is from CT, and they go back and forth much of the winter. When they are back in CT, we go up and use it, or give it to friends and family. It's a nice relationship, we know them from Nantucket, so we are very lucky...

I think it's all about how much you will use it.

Nantucket kills us, because we are not there enough... But won't rent it, I know how renters are.... GRRR. I put my heart and soul into this house and am not going to have some family move in where the parents have no regard for your nice things, and have no control over their darling children... I know the types and want to stay clear of all of that....
20.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 6:16:35 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Hi Ursula,

I don''t have any specific advice for you, but just wondering what part of CT you are looking at. Litchfield county? I know a lot of Manhattan folks have been buying in the Litchfield area for a while now, so I wondered. I am in CT, but not that part of the state, though I do think it is so beautiful. Just drove through last weekend on our way to upstate NY and must go back soon for the antique shops!!

Also, a lot of people own second homes in areas that are much farther away from their main residence, so you might find that you get a lot more use out of a second home in CT, since you are a relatively short drive away. For instance, I often wonder about the people on House Hunters International, who buy second homes in Europe or South America and plan to vacation there for two weeks out of the year! Uhm, why not just rent an apartment or house for the time that you plan to be there? But, like I said, your situation sounds much different.
We''re looking at Litchfield County, and also the more bucolic areas of Fairfield County. We want a drive of no more than two hours, hence choosing CT over the Hamptons (not to mention getting more bang for your buck in CT).

Kaleigh, do you have anyone that looks after your property when you aren''t there?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes we have a caretaker for both properties. The one in FLA is under a co-op, so that helps a lot. Best of luck to you....

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
i am dying to have a getaway home! esp for summer...i am really looking into poconos, PA...love it there

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 9:08:11 PM
Author: nycbkgirl
i am dying to have a getaway home! esp for summer...i am really looking into poconos, PA...love it there
I''ve never been. How far is it by car?

I''m head over heels about Vermont, but I really don''t want to be sat in a car for four or five hours every Friday and Sunday.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We have a second home "at the lake". Our first lake place was a camping site about a 3 hour drive away, and we used it a lot when the children were young. We build a small cabin on the site, and it was a pain after that. The biggest problem is when you need work done on the place. Either you take an entire day off from work to supervise, or you trust the person who is coming onto your property to do the work without you there. I insisted on inspecting the work before paying, so there would be extra trips to the lake to see if the guy really did deliver gravel for the driveway, the electrician really did install the new meter, etc. etc.

When the kids got to high school, we used the camping place a lot less. Finally we decided to sell and get a house closer to town. Our new second home is on a gorgeous lake only a 40 minute drive from our main home. I love being so much closer. It is far enough away that we really get a break from all of the chores at home, but close enough to run into town when necessary. We do all the chores and maintanence ourselves, so being close is really helpful. But, the most wonderful part of a second home, is you really do get away. I come up here, take a deep breath, and start to relax immediately.

We do use the place some in the winter. It is still a wonderful getaway.

We decided not to ever rent. Just don't want to deal with that.

Best of luck with your new place.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend that owns one here Lake Ridge, they go there practically every weekend.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:01:38 AM
Author: gaby06
I have a friend that owns one here Lake Ridge, they go there practically every weekend.
What a lovely place, and it''s reassuring to hear that your friends frequent the place often. I take it they live in NYC?

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, they do live in NYC, and they drive there almost every weekend, and a couple of weeks on summer, the community is really nice, you get to meet new people and do activities on the weekend, it's really good for kids as well.

It's around 1.5 hrs driving, and more than 2 hours taking the bus on Grand Central.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results