shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratched diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I was at jewelry store that sells allot of antique pieces. Well I was looking around and a 2 ct transitional cut caught my eye
30.gif
. Of course I had to see it up close. Well after looking at it closely (drooling all over it) I noticed a few small scratches on the top of the diamond. This made me wonder what can scratch a diamond and how can small scratches be buffed out?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel I think it depends. Diamonds are very hard to scratch but not to say they can't be scratched, it happens. You really need an expert opinion from someone such as Oldminer etc, but it might be possible they can be polished out, but you would really need an expert to look at it if you were interested in buying it - there could be so many variables here. I think it really takes another diamond to scratch one up, or I remember Forte Kitty's story how she scratched the top of her Marquis by her BF hitting her hand with a metal cart if I remember rightly, bad luck I guess and tough metal. I think with repolishing you might lose a point or two in carat weight to hardly anything or a lot - depends. There might be a chance that maybe the scratches might be an inclusion or two even that slightly break the surface or little fractures but these are just my thoughts and I am in no way an expert. I think I remember reading that small scratches can be removed or improved with a cutter using a polishing wheel and a type of diamond paste or powder.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I am not going to buy the diamond my hubby would kill me. I know they where little scratches I could take my finger nail and "feel them". I have had only a couple of hours of sleep so I am on the forums thinking of every question I have ever wanted to ask to keep me awake
24.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The scratches were probably caused by another diamond, as suggested. It would be possible to have the stone repolished, and depending upon the extent and depth of the scratches, little weight may be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results