shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratch in table- Big Deal or no?????????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moritz

Rough_Rock
Just got the engagement ring back from the jeweler and it is beautiful. After all the time I spent learning about diamonds I still didn''t get exactly what I wanted but I was probably nit picking on the polish and symetry. But after looking at the diamond a bunch of times (i actually get why girls like these stones) I noticed that when the light shines directly off the table, I can see a scratch from one end of the table to the other, basically cutting the table in to 1/3 2/3 of the table. Than after turning the ring around in the light I can actually see the scartch with my eye. Let me say that the stone and the light have to be at the right angle for it to be seen. The jeweler louped and ''scoped the stone before I picked it up and didn''t notice it, so I may really be picky here, so help me out by answering the following question:

The stone is an F SI1 at 1.11 carets that I paid 5600 dollars for. Is the scratch nit picking or is it a big enough deal to say to the jeweler to take it back???

thanks

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
That scratch would bother the hell out of me. I''d take it back. I''m the type that would look for the scratch every single time I look at the ring, so it really depends on how much it would bother you. If you don''t think you''d mind it, then don''t worry too much about it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 10:32:32 PM
Author: Cinderella
That scratch would bother the hell out of me. I''d take it back. I''m the type that would look for the scratch every single time I look at the ring, so it really depends on how much it would bother you. If you don''t think you''d mind it, then don''t worry too much about it.
I agree, would bother the heck out of me too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s like driving home a brand new Porche and realizing there''s a scratch across the entire length of the hood ... does that make things clearer
11.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may not be a scratch but a wisp or inclusion under the table that you can see in the right light. Is it a certed stone? If so, that inclusion should be plotted on the cert.

You have obviously looked at the stone numerous times without seeing it but now that you know it''s there you will probably always be looking for it. It is absolutely not nitpicking if it bothers you. It would bug me to no end - I would have to take it back.

If it doesn''t really bother you, then consider yourself lucky and enjoy the stone!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Are you absolutely sure it''s a scratch and not a streak of dirt? Try running your fingernail across it. Do you feel it? Try soaking the ring for a few minutes in a mixture of half water, half ammonia, then gently scrubbing the top with a soft toothbrush. Does it go away?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
It could be a watermark from when cleaned. It could be an inclusion.

But if its a scratch and you can still get your money back, I would. A scratch on a brand new stone would bug the heck out of me.

My husband bought me a sapphire ring a few years ago. Within 2 days I noticed a big scratch on the table. I asked him if I was being neurotic about it. He saw the scratch too and said without question it had to go back. He ended up buying me a sapphire ring from somewhere else.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have an inclusion that is a feather hidden under a prong but when I look at the diamond on a side view I can see it underneath the prong. It doesn''t bother me in the least. I love that it''s there so I know that if I ever have to take this diamond/setting to be worked on they''d have a hell of a time getting away with switching my stone. But I think had it been anywhere else I''d be going crazy. Across the table would drive me insane I think. My choice...take it back. But I''d do what the above poster said and clean it really well with ammonia and water with a soft toothbrush. I hope it''s not a scratch but just some type of residue.
Let us know what you decide!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
first thing you need to do is find out what it is.
I wouldnt do anything with it, just go back and ask what it is and have them clean it and see if it goes away.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Rockdoc''s advice.

Get a pro do look at it. Examine it under a microscope. It could be a multitude of things. If you have a loupe hold the table so it is totally glared by overhead light and see if you can see it on the surface. If you can''t it is probably a reflection of something internal, or perhaps a reflection of the girdle or even a facet line.

Commonly it does happen when one of two things occur.

A) the diamond was put in a parcel and another diamond scratched it. ( It could also happen in a jewelry box if put with other diamond jewelry)

B) What appears to be a scratch might be what is called a polishing drag mark.

But enough speculating on what it "could" be, let make some suggestions to resolve it.

Generally, if it is a light surface scratch, it can be polished out. It''s a minor cost, and your jeweler should know someone that can do that. If it isn''t deep that isn''t a big deal to have done. Probably take 15 minutes at most to do. (The stone will have to be unset to do that)

If the scratch ( or whatever ) is deep, then the stone may need some recutting, if they have to polish the table a lot to polish out the mark.

Sometimes it is not possible to determine if the mark was pre-existing, or it happened before it was set, or during the setting process. Jewelers tools generally will not mark a diamond, put if put in an ultrsonic with other diamond pieces, that could be a possible explanation.

If a gemologist can find supportable evidence it is a drag mark, then you shouldn''t have to pay to get it repaired. If the cause for it can''t be determined, then your insurance company will probably pay if it is covered in your policy.

Hope this helps,

Rockdoc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d guess it is either a fault of polish, or surface graining that you see. An accidental scratch on the table could hardly be this subtle.

Is there any note on the lab report about graining? Twinning whisps?

Anyway, Rocdoc''s posts covers all the basis on what can be done about it.

Best of luck!
35.gif

Moritz

Rough_Rock
Some clarifications:

1. Definitly a scratch. It is visible both with a loupe and naked eye.
2. The stone is certed and the scratch is not on the map.
3. I have cleaned the table with a polishing cloth used for cameras, and it is still there. I have also taken my fingernail and gone over the scratch which does not remove it.
4. The scratch is mostly visible only when light is reflected directly off of the table and more from one side of the table than the other.

It is definitly very shallow, and from the previous description of polishing, I suspect it could be removed. I am taking it back tomorrow, but unfortunately I have spent the last month planning a very elaborate presentation to my fiance and airline tickets are already purchased since she lives in a different state. Needless to say I am really pissed that I spend 6k on a stone and spend well over a month buying the damn thing only to find this scratch after the stone is set and I get it home with no time left to correct the problem.

8.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Just been pondering on this......

Could be the facet is not polished absolutely flat. The labs don''t report this If the cutter polshed the table in different direction a slight very MINSCULE variation might be seen if the angle is "just so" and the view has "eagle eyes".

A clue "might" be to see how the polish was rated on the grading report.

Rockdoc

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Moritz ~
emrose.gif

I am sorry about your diamond
15.gif
. I understand your disappointment. If the person you bought it from is local, maybe they would have another diamond that would fit your parameters and they could set it for you ASAP?

Please keep us posted with what happens, and again ... I am sorry that this happened.
Take care,
35.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go to the store, use the microscope. Do it SOON! Tell jeweler you discovered this prior to giving it to young lady, so it is not something you did. If you wear the ring for a couple of weeks first he will have good reason to claim that this is something the wearer did.

Most jewelers will take care of this, if this one does not, be sure to let the world know. If he takes appropriate care of you, let the world know this also!

Wink

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
For me, it sounds like graining...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you feel the scratch if you run your fingernail across it? Or can you just see it with your eye or a loupe?

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
A scratch would drive me mad.
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results