shape
carat
color
clarity

Scar prevention/remedies post-surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
A week ago I had a laproscopic surgery to remove two ovarian cysts. While this type of surgery is definitely less invasive than the "open" version of the procedure, I guess I was not prepared for the size/ugliness of the incisions (I previously had an exploratory laporoscopy with basically no scarring) and I''m a little scared of how everything is going to look when I''m all healed up.

I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for the best ways to prevent the incisions from making ugly scars?

Thanks!
RZ

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just say lots of lotion..cocoa butter maybe? Smells good and makes your skin super soft!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s called Mederma, it''s a patch you put over the scar and is OTC. Does a great job. DD has used it with great results.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Massage. My mother had a breast reduction and has zero scars due to massage (with vaseline or cocoa butter).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto - Mederma gel several times a day and Vitamin E cream massaged in after showering and before bed worked wonders on my knees and elbows when I rode my bike into barbed wire
38.gif

It's a pain to use, though, and I used it on fresh scars so the only way to see if it really worked was by comparing to other older scars - probably not the most accurate comparisons! I can say that I scratched myself up pretty thoroughly and have only the faintest lines to show for it now.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mederma works wonders. I used it on 2nd degree burns that were on my stomach and they are no longer visible at all. You do have to apply it several times a day at the beginning, but it''s worth it!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone - I picked up some Mederma today! (though its in a tube, not a patch) I''ll let you know how it goes *fingers crossed*

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to all on the Mederma. I used the tube (lotion) and it worked wonders on a wire scar. It can be expensive and it might take a few weeks/a month or so, but stick with it!

split_shank

Shiny_Rock
I''ve heard Mederma works well too but please make sure your doctor ok''s it first. Some want the incision to heal for a certain amount of time before putting anything on it. Any extra rubbing on the area can cause problems. Well-healing incisions heal from the inside ->out. just a thought!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results