shape
carat
color
clarity

Saw a ring I love and need some help with questions about it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mas

Rough_Rock
Hi all -- I have been trying to figure out what style engagement ring I want -- I saw an amazing ring that a co-worker was wearing and fell in love with it (one picture attached here and I''ll post more) I wanted to get some help with questions about it. The ring was her husband''s grandmother''s, so it''s an older piece of jewelry. My questions:

1) what type of cut is the diamond? Old European?

2) can a modern cut diamond in a round shape give me a similar look to this diamond? Could a diamond be cut today to look this way (or what''s the best way to replicate the look of this diamond?)

3) The flash from this diamond seems to be in larger blocks instead of the glitter from a modern brilliant cut. Is the look of this diamond more about "fire" than "brillance"? (I am trying to understand the difference between those two terms)

4) has anyone seen modern settings similar to this one (three headed prongs and curve U shaped setting for side diamonds)? would there be any difficulty in having a setting like this custom made?

5) any thoughts about the size relationship of the side diamonds to the center diamond? I would be going with a smaller stone (hopefully two carats
21.gif
) for the center, but wanted to get a look similar to this ring so was wondering what size side diamonds I should consider

6) anyone want to venture a guess on the size of the center diamond? My co-worker didn''t tell me, but I''m curious
21.gif

Thanks for your help!!

(also -- please don''t copy photos posted here -- thanks!)

100_1431A[1].jpg

mas

Rough_Rock
photo #2

100_1437A[1].jpg

mas

Rough_Rock
photo #3

100_1442A[2].jpg

mas

Rough_Rock
photo #4

100_1439A[1].jpg

mas

Rough_Rock
last one!!

100_142.jpg

Mrsgardener

Rough_Rock
What a lovely ring! I especially like the side view.

mas

Rough_Rock
Me too! I have been looking at antique settings and love the fact that this one is simple

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
looks like a checkerboard cut...........

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That looks like an Old European Cut (OEC) to me. The big chunks of light as opposed to small needles have to do with the way the underside (pavilion) is cut, I believe, with bigger facets down there. (I''m sure an expert will correct me if I''m wrong.) "Fire" means flashes of colored light, whereas "brilliance" means white light.

If you want the same look, consider antique OEC diamonds. They''re definitely my favorite, and a number of the people here agree.

mas

Rough_Rock
I''m beginning to agree too -- I seem to keep being drawn to the old cuts!

What''s the best way to find and evaluate a loose antique OEC? I''ve been searching on the internet and looked at Fay Cullen, but the stats given online provide much less helpful information than those given online for a modern brilliant cut, where you can really evaluate it through numbers.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m getting an OEC, so I was very concerned about how to evaluate what was a good OEC cut. I found this table to be very helpful... http://www.gemappraisers.com/OldEuroFrame.htm

One word of advice though, don''t stick to it absolutely. My stone had most of it''s measurements in the Very good category, and one in the poor category...it is absolutely stunning in person.

Another thing that I noticed while shopping for them...many are off-round. This bothered me, but it may not be noticable to other people. I know Whiteflash has OEC as an option in their diaond search, and there''s Fay Cullen, but you can also ask a good B&M to find an OEC for you. Actually, I refused to work with Fay Cullen because they advertise that they charge $75 for you to get more info about any stone. That really turned me off.

The other thing I had ot adjust to when I decided on an OEC was that I was going to have to adjust my sense of what was beautiful. Most OECs are warmer colors (H,I,J,K). I used to want a D or E stone, but I realized that I actually liked the warmer colors in an OEC. It really compliments the cut.

Good luck in your search!

mas

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice -- the table looks like it will be really helpful. Does anyone else have suggestions about the best way to find loose old cut diamonds?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 9:34:09 PM
Author: mas
thanks for the advice -- the table looks like it will be really helpful. Does anyone else have suggestions about the best way to find loose old cut diamonds?
Talk to some vendors. WF does have a search for OECs, so maybe give them a call and see what they say.

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
That center stone is amazing...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought an OEC from Fay Cullen for my SIL who asked me to find her one as her''s fell out of her setting. I did call WF in the beginning of my search as well as many other vendors, they all were helpful but came up empty. Good OEC''s are hard to find. Kind of like a needle in a haystack. But this was 8 or so months ago. You should still call WF and see what''s available now. Also Oldminer here is a good source. But Fay Cullen had the perfect OEC, and I found it by chance. Eduardo is the owner and is very nice to work with. I''d call him and tell him exactly what you''re looking for. If he doesn''t have it, he may be able to find it for you. Good luck, they are beautiful stones. I love them!!!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t comment on OECs, but I may be able to help a bit with the setting. My E-ring is also an antique and has the three-head prongs around an RB. It came from antiqueengagementrings.com. I know that mine is not the only ring he had with these prongs, and I know he can make reproductions of antique settings. I have never met Leigh, but my fiance and my sister said he was wonderful to work with.

That ring provides some beaustiful inspiration!

Good luck!
Munchkin

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a thread going called LGF and Stars - the last few posts turned toward OEC style stones, and Jonathan attached a gem file for an OEC - worth checking out!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s a place called Singlestone that also specializes in antique cuts. I think they are in LA and a gal who has a thread called "A Cotton Candy Colored Halo" got her center OEC from them.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s one from www.singlestone.com

1.20_HVS2.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
And one I wanna buy RIGHT THIS INSTANT for a right hand ring.

0.70_ISI3.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2005 11:05:14 PM
Author:mas

1) what type of cut is the diamond? Old European?

Yes.

2) can a modern cut diamond in a round shape give me a similar look to this diamond? Could a diamond be cut today to look this way (or what's the best way to replicate the look of this diamond?)

No, modern style brilliants diamonds don't look like this. Ans yes, old style stones are still being cut. I know about new old mine style, but perhaps OEC (=old European cut) too. Some time ago someone from a firm doing just that was posting around here... If interested, you might want to look them up: the avatar name is 'DiaGem' (link to PS profile) but his last post is rather old by now.

3) The flash from this diamond seems to be in larger blocks instead of the glitter from a modern brilliant cut. Is the look of this diamond more about 'fire' than 'brilliance'? (I am trying to understand the difference between those two terms)

The short lower girdle facets and high crown are responsible for the 'blocky glitter'. Neither is done in modern style rounds. The old stones may have more fire, but that depends on the stone. The olds can be as brilliant as the modern and very fine symmetry is also possible. You need some luck to find a fine old cut though. I wish there are some new old style cuts for you, because those will have far better chance to have a fine cut overall.

4) has anyone seen modern settings similar to this one (three headed prongs and curve U shaped setting for side diamonds)? would there be any difficulty in having a setting like this custom made?

The setting looks modern - perhaps custom made. It reminds me of Jaffe settings...

5) any thoughts about the size relationship of the side diamonds to the center diamond? I would be going with a smaller stone (hopefully two carats ) for the center, but wanted to get a look similar to this ring so was wondering what size side diamonds I should consider

IMO, the sides are tiny - probably around 20pts each or less.

6) anyone want to venture a guess on the size of the center diamond? My co-worker didn't tell me, but I'm curious

It is hard to tell without knowing the actual size of anything in the picture (ring size etc). My guess would be about 2 cts with a large give or take.

Btw, speaking of new OEC cut diamonds....

I wonder where These Guys get their diamonds from. There are a few OEC in there.

On a different line, Jonathan ("aca. 'Rhino') from Good Old Gold volunteered the GEM file of an OEC in his inventory. Judging from the slightly jagged cut, the stone is a true oldie. He might have others
31.gif
See the second page on THIS otherwise unrelated thread.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink Jones ?
2.gif

302OECxv.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
Are you determined to get an unmounted OEC? Would you consider a vintage/antique ring?

You might try www.nelsonrarities.com ....they have a large inventory of vintage engagement rings, and seem to specialize in ones with finer old stones, many of them GIA graded. I don''t know if they carry unmounted OECs, but it might be worth calling them and asking.

I highly recommend them..

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For got about these LINK - a database of loose old cuts, but with not much info on each (do check the return policy too!).

Sometimes there are a few OEC on Pricescope''s list. If you ever go for it online. Even if not, it is still worth looking around for reference, IMO.

Hope some of this helps
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results