shape
carat
color
clarity

Save the planet. Rich or poor, eat more beans. Spread the word.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny, what is happening here

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps.

I posted this in the wrong forum.
I'll ask admin to move it to Hangout.

Thanks. :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't eating more beans make humans create and release more gas?
I hate beans. I love vegetable but a hard no to beans.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't eating more beans make humans create and release more gas?
I hate beans. I love vegetable but a hard no to beans.

Eating beans vs., say, beef results in a huge net reduction of harm to the earth.

If beans lowered demand for beef that means fewer cattle, which produce huge amounts of methane.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then it's a good thing I don't eat red meat in the first place.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@kenny did you see that FDA recently gave the ok to sell lab created meat? I’m just thinking about it.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Climate change is real but some of these environmentalists are mental for sure!

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Beans are not the answer for me but I just had a conversation with my DIL about the climate impact of non meat meals. It started with us discussing vegan lifestyle which is not happening for either of us. But I was able to educate her on the climate benefits of eating less meat. I have several vegetable based main dishes and an incredible goat cheese wonton salad. Also, I have multiple pasta recipes with a small amount of pancetta etc.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
had baked beans on toast for breakfast

but we had a side (ok a whole packet) of bacon with it

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pay people a living wage so they aren’t forced to eat beans

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love black beans and quinoa and eat it every other day for dinner. I am doing my part :)

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"But there is an unpalatable truth to face for those of us with a bag of quinoa in the larder. The appetite of countries such as ours for this grain has pushed up prices to such an extent that poorer people in Peru and Bolivia, for whom it was once a nourishing staple food, can no longer afford to eat it. Imported junk food is cheaper. In Lima, quinoa now costs more than chicken. Outside the cities, and fuelled by overseas demand, the pressure is on to turn land that once produced a portfolio of diverse crops into quinoa monoculture."

source:

This is called food gentrification, FYI people.

Eat locally produced foods, help your community/farmers. This is the only feasable future not food monopolies and tons of chems and GMOs.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind beans. I like beans with my meat just fine.

Honestly the issue is not cows or the like, its factory farming. thats always been the issue.

Also

The nasty stuff over at beyond meat in their factory....no thank you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"But there is an unpalatable truth to face for those of us with a bag of quinoa in the larder. The appetite of countries such as ours for this grain has pushed up prices to such an extent that poorer people in Peru and Bolivia, for whom it was once a nourishing staple food, can no longer afford to eat it. Imported junk food is cheaper. In Lima, quinoa now costs more than chicken. Outside the cities, and fuelled by overseas demand, the pressure is on to turn land that once produced a portfolio of diverse crops into quinoa monoculture."

source:

This is called food gentrification, FYI people.

Eat locally produced foods, help your community/farmers. This is the only feasable future not food monopolies and tons of chems and GMOs.

This has been brought up for at least a decade now. Farmers in North America are now producing quinoa so i think we’re on our way to making it local.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This has been brought up for at least a decade now. Farmers in North America are now producing quinoa so i think we’re on our way to making it local.
That's good, I just hope it doesn't affect the local flora. Humans have a way of ruining habitats for various reasons.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's mathematical. Regardless of what we eat, we still need space to grow food and unpolluted air and water to nourish food growth. Populations living in areas affected by climate change (i.e., areas that are now prone to severe flooding or will soon be under water or are and will suffer enduring droughts) will need to move. They'll be moving to places that are agricultural because there's insufficient room for them in developed areas. Climate change is moving the US breadbasket farther north -- like north to Canada. The current agricultural meccas in the US will become dustbowls. The sum of the problem is that we need far far fewer people on the planet so the areas that can still provide food and those that will provide food in the future can produce enough food to sustain what needs to become a human population in balance with the earth's ability to sufficiently sustain it. The now and the future will require us to make choices we'd rather avoid and have avoided which is one reason why we're in this pickle.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's mathematical. Regardless of what we eat, we still need space to grow food and unpolluted air and water to nourish food growth. Populations living in areas affected by climate change (i.e., areas that are now prone to severe flooding or will soon be under water or are and will suffer enduring droughts) will need to move. They'll be moving to places that are agricultural because there's insufficient room for them in developed areas. Climate change is moving the US breadbasket farther north -- like north to Canada. The current agricultural meccas in the US will become dustbowls. The sum of the problem is that we need far far fewer people on the planet so the areas that can still provide food and those that will provide food in the future can produce enough food to sustain what needs to become a human population in balance with the earth's ability to sufficiently sustain it. The now and the future will require us to make choices we'd rather avoid and have avoided which is one reason why we're in this pickle.

Neh, food production is not the problem, it's food distribution.
I used to think we are too many, now I just think we are enough. Population will reach decline and then it will be bad because there will not be enough people able to work to sustain the ones that are old, that will be a disaster.

Also, we can grow food vertically too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results