clarity

Saunas

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have an in home sauna?
What kind?
Would you buy it again?

I’m interested in purchasing an in home sauna and just starting my search.

Curious if any PSers use one and what thoughts you have.

Thanks

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have space for one.. but if I did, I would love an infrared sauna.. Its not the same as a steam sauna as the heat isn't as hot/dry but you still get the benefits of using the sauna and also probably more energy efficient.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the Finns certainly believe a home sauna is an absolute necessity, so there’s that… :lol:

Can’t be of more help, sadly. Heat is a health hazard for me so I stay away from saunas. But if it’s something you love, well… why the hell not?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have space for one.. but if I did, I would love an infrared sauna.. Its not the same as a steam sauna as the heat isn't as hot/dry but you still get the benefits of using the sauna and also probably more energy efficient.

Thanks Mary Jane. I have read about the many benefits and I do enjoy sweating (when working out) though I do not enjoy the heat. I have Schamberg disease and my capillaries burst in heat so that is my main concern about spending thousands on a sauna and then not being able to use it. I would try a public sauna to see how I do but for the many germs and toxins in public saunas..I do not relish using one even just to try it out as I am very susceptible to toxins etc. But I guess I won't know if I can be successful using a sauna if I never try it out though repeated use might not follow my reaction with one or two uses. Or perhaps repeated use might help dissipate my heat reaction.. So it might be impossible to know for sure either way. I might just have to bite the proverbial bullet and get one and then see how it goes. An expensive experiment to be sure

Well, the Finns certainly believe a home sauna is an absolute necessity, so there’s that… :lol:

Can’t be of more help, sadly. Heat is a health hazard for me so I stay away from saunas. But if it’s something you love, well… why the hell not?

Hi Avondale, my main concern is I am heat sensitive and have something called Schamberg disease and therein lies my quandary. And since it is so rare no one here (or anywhere lol) can tell me if my reaction would preclude my successful use of the sauna. I have wanted to get one for a long time not that I particularly enjoy being hot. No, I do not. But I want to sweat out the toxins and there are many benefits to doing a sauna. I realize no one here can guide me about Schamberg but I do wonder if anyone here is heat sensitive and still does well with the IR Sauna. Thanks for your reply

each to their own, but not for me either
now a walk in 'beer fridge' type room, i would move my bed in there

Ha read my above reply. I want to do it for the health benefits. Not because I enjoy being hot :)

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Avondale, my main concern is I am heat sensitive and have something called Schamberg disease and therein lies my quandary. And since it is so rare no one here (or anywhere lol) can tell me if my reaction would preclude my successful use of the sauna. I have wanted to get one for a long time not that I particularly enjoy being hot. No, I do not. But I want to sweat out the toxins and there are many benefits to doing a sauna. I realize no one here can guide me about Schamberg but I do wonder if anyone here is heat sensitive and still does well with the IR Sauna. Thanks for your reply

I wish I could help you more. I understand the dilemma and, honestly, if it were me, I'd probably prefer to stay away. I guess it depends on the severity of your reactions and if you're willing to tolerate the negatives for the sake of all the positives. In that sense, I'm not a suitable example. My condition is both neurological and degenerative, you know what that means. Excessive heat can speed up the process that we're trying so hard to slow down, so I have a lot at stake and therefore tend to err on the side of caution.

I understand your concerns about public saunas, but aren't there really any well kept and hygienic places? A spa centre with solid reputation, for example?

I've been in a sauna a couple of times, many years ago, before I got sick. The heat inside hits you like a wall, it's so much more than a hot day or a steamy shower. Yeah, you breathe freely and fell both relaxed while inside and fresh as a cucumber once you emerge, but if you have issues with, say, a hot tub, I'd imagine you'd struggle with a sauna.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could help you more. I understand the dilemma and, honestly, if it were me, I'd probably prefer to stay away. I guess it depends on the severity of your reactions and if you're willing to tolerate the negatives for the sake of all the positives. In that sense, I'm not a suitable example. My condition is both neurological and degenerative, you know what that means. Excessive heat can speed up the process that we're trying so hard to slow down, so I have a lot at stake and therefore tend to err on the side of caution.

I understand your concerns about public saunas, but aren't there really any well kept and hygienic places? A spa centre with solid reputation, for example?

I've been in a sauna a couple of times, many years ago, before I got sick. The heat inside hits you like a wall, it's so much more than a hot day or a steamy shower. Yeah, you breathe freely and fell both relaxed while inside and fresh as a cucumber once you emerge, but if you have issues with, say, a hot tub, I'd imagine you'd struggle with a sauna.

Thanks Avondale. I appreciate your input very much. I wanted a different answer but the truth is best always even if not pleasant to hear. I really wanted to sweat out toxins. And working out just isn't enough for me. I have heavy metal issues due to genetics and I cannot detox in the traditional sense of the word. And I do get what you are saying and my heart goes out to you. For those of us with disease processes that are affected by heat it can be challenging. I guess I was hoping somehow I could desensitize myself but I am thinking that is not likely. I will look around and see what facilities might offer options to try a sauna despite the "ick" factor lol. It might give me an idea if it is an impossible dream or perhaps a (remote) possibility. My research to date suggests a "good" IR sauna is going to cost at least 5K-7K so not a small investment for me. Thank you again

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add for anyone who might be considering an IR sauna there are "sauna blankets" that are much less expensive.

I think I would greatly prefer a stand up solid sauna structure however but the blankets are under 1K and some under 500$ making it a more reasonable option for many. And for those with limited space perhaps a good option for them

@maryjane04 just wanted to make you aware in case you were not

Lifepro Rejuvawrap infrared sauna blanket is highly rated and well under 1K
I have done some research about this specific brand and it looks to be good. Low EMF too

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there are sauna tents for around 1299$ that some rave about. So there are affordable options for those who are also short on space

I have not yet done the research on IR sauna tents however so just be aware

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have this portable one. Truthfully, I don't use it all that much, but I like it when I do - not sure if it's available in the US.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I wonder if you could see a pertinent doctor about chelating heavy metals (which also seems to be fraught with potential risks, TBH) rather than sweating them out. Clean diet (including looking into possible allergies or histamine sensitivities, etc.) and water, proper nutrients etc. that help with detox might also be a better answer than a sauna for someone with heat sensitivity. I also wonder if fasting, interval eating, or cold plunge could help you.

To address your question directly, one of my loved ones is Finnish and has ALWAYS had a sauna in the house (she lives in USA). Her’s are properly Finnish made, of wood. She combines her sauna with a cold exposure afterwards. It’s part of her lifestyle and culture and self-care. I think if you look for well-rated saunas you can find info on what they look like and where you can put them. The heat from these wood saunas smells like wood, and it is very hot. The experience is basically like being in a superheated very strongly fragrant space, it’s hot even in your nostrils. I literally can’t imagine that someone with heat sensitivity would enjoy it, to me exercise and not putting more toxins in, might still be your best option.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I wonder if you could see a pertinent doctor about chelating heavy metals (which also seems to be fraught with potential risks, TBH) rather than sweating them out. Clean diet (including looking into possible allergies or histamine sensitivities, etc.) and water, proper nutrients etc. that help with detox might also be a better answer than a sauna for someone with heat sensitivity. I also wonder if fasting, interval eating, or cold plunge could help you.

To address your question directly, one of my loved ones is Finnish and has ALWAYS had a sauna in the house (she lives in USA). Her’s are properly Finnish made, of wood. She combines her sauna with a cold exposure afterwards. It’s part of her lifestyle and culture and self-care. I think if you look for well-rated saunas you can find info on what they look like and where you can put them. The heat from these wood saunas smells like wood, and it is very hot. The experience is basically like being in a superheated very strongly fragrant space, it’s hot even in your nostrils. I literally can’t imagine that someone with heat sensitivity would enjoy it, to me exercise and not putting more toxins in, might still be your best option.

Thanks for chiming in Light Bright. I can’t do chelation unfortunately. But I do everything else you mentioned in terms of eating clean, exercising, and leading as clean a lifestyle as possible. Fasting is out as it’s hard on one’s adrenals. Thank you again.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a traditional sauna in our last house. We absolutely loved it and used it regularly during the winter. I wasn’t one for going from that in to a cold shower, more luke warm, but I did feel good after using it, and it certainly helped me sleep better on the nights we used it.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 11
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results