shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarin report in!! Opinions on my diamond please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

a69nova

Rough_Rock
The following is a diamond that I' am very interested in buying. I got some feedback for you all on the board, but now i have some additional data. Let me know what you think.

Round Brilliant 1.22 carat
GIA Cert
6.83 x 6.88x 4.29
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 62.6
Table: 56
Crown: 34.0 deg, 15.2%
Pav: 42.0 deg, 44.8%
Culet: 0.6%
Polish: Very Good
Sym: Very Good
Girdle: 1.02% thin to SL thick
-However in this report some of the numbers differ from the GIa cert? Is this normal? (GIA depth 62.6, sarin 63.2)
The jeweler is a friend who is willing to sell it to me for $6500 GIA table 56%, sarin 55%
Any feedback would help GIA girdle med facet, sarin thin/thick

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The measuremet variations are not unusual... but did you run a HCA to see what those numbers mean ?

Not that the diamond is not great - all I can see is the numbers you have posted, so... what do I know
20.gif
The numbers are not too optimistic though.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yow!

But not the good way.

You got the sarin data, because you''ve understood it would be helpful. Have you run the numbers yourself?

Please do.

From what people especially like Garry and Dave Atlas have said, it''s hard to see how this could be considered a diamond that will perform well.

I dunno, by the book, if you have an ideal scope, or by some measure you love it, go for it. But that blue color and a 6.2 (by my calculation...please check me) on the HCA are not favorable signs.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually that''s a pretty big difference in the depth measurement. Those proportions would produce a possible LightScope graphic like the following attached image. IMO there are too many whites (which = blatant leakage) and not enough blacks. Keep hunting would be the advice of this Rhino.

a69nova01.gif

a69nova

Rough_Rock
I used the HCA and it scored 5.2 Good. In the weight I''am looking at what is the ideal depth, table etc. I''am losing my mind trying to find the right diamond! I can''t believe how deep i''am researching the stats about a diamond, who would have thought how complicated it is.

g8erh8er

Rough_Rock
I feel, or should I say felt your pain. I wanted something that scored good on the HCA for starters, so I went through every diamond on Blue Nile''s site that had an AGS cert. and that satisfied my initial requirements and fell within my budget constraints. Their interactive search was very helpful. About 150 diamonds later, I found three or four that rated between a .5 and a 2 on the HCA. Made my final decision based on the price and inclusions within the diamond. I think I got a winner.

What I found interesting is how many of Blue Nile''s Signature Ideal diamonds (which are often priced about $1,000-$2,000 more than just regular ''ol ideal diamonds of comparible color/size/clarity) didn''t rate so hot on the HCA.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Provided by the nice folks at niceice.com

Table Diameter: 52.4 - 57.5%
Crown Angle: 33.7 - 35.8° degrees
Pavilion Angle: 40.15 - 41.20 degrees
Pavilion Angle: 40.15 - 41.20 degrees
Culet Size: None, Pointed, Very Small, Small, or Medium
Note that the Total Depth % of the diamond is not taken into account... This is because it is the Crown & Pavilion angles that control most of the brilliance and thus the Total Depth is not as important a factor. Just the same, we prefer that the total depth of a round brilliant cut diamond be somewhere between 59.0% and 61.8% with the ceiling being around 62.5% in our opinion. Although it is not uncommon to find AGS Ideal Cut diamonds with total depths as deep as 63.5% we recommend that you avoid them like the plague because they are simply too deep!

This page provides some food for thought. Check it out.

http://www.niceice.com/cut.htm

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 2:50:35 PM
Author: Rhino
Actually that''s a pretty big difference in the depth measurement. Those proportions would produce a possible LightScope graphic like the following attached image. IMO there are too many whites (which = blatant leakage) and not enough blacks. Keep hunting would be the advice of this Rhino.
Helpful illustration Jonathan.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
There''s the hard way....

(g834h8er) DOH....searching Blue Nile and entering one by one...

or...the easy way! (am I a shill for Pricescope, or what)...

a69nova...you have 3 possibly easy choices with the search by cut tool, allowing you to save $1000, spend a $1000, or stay right where you are...(the latter being discounted, as you''ll see when you use the search by cut tool, when you tell ''em you''ve been sent from Pricescope).

Best of wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results