shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarcasm... Evolutionary?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
As a sarcastic PITA, myself,
3.gif
I thought this article was pretty interesting: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080620/sc_livescience/sarcasmseenasevolutionarysurvivalskill. So, I thought I''d share.

What do you think? Do you think sarcasm is a survival skill/evolutionary?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This reminds me of that Far Side cartoon about the 'invention of sarcasm' where two cavemen are standing over a fire. The first caveman asks "Is it hot?" and the second caveman says "No. It's cold." and the first caveman just stares at him blankly. Or maybe they're cooking food? I can't remember, but it used to make me laugh because I can't imagine a world without good ol' fashioned sarcasm! I think sarcasm comprises about 40% of my daily diction.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
The other day my DH and I were having a "discussion." It was not a bad "discussion." It was just popping off at one another. When he finally irritated me beyond all reason, I blasted him with some excellent sarcasm. He looked at me and said, "Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in that answer?" I said, "If you only detected a bit of sarcasm, I obviously wasn''t doing it right." End of discussion.

shay

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
It wouldn''t suprise me. What I really want to know is the evolutionary value of finding cats and dogs so cute. It is so prevelant and in me atleast so strong, that it seems like there must be some deeper advantage, but even with all my training in evolutionary science, I have yet to find it.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Sarcasm is my best friend. Sometimes, its the main mode of communicating between me and my husband! Good thing we are both equally as sarcastic. We feed off the banter between each other. Probably explains why my ex-mother in law and I didn''t get along. She did not get sarcasm at all. Or jokes. She had the personality of a kitchen faucet.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/20/2008 10:36:05 PM
Author: hairgirl95
Probably explains why my ex-mother in law and I didn''t get along. She did not get sarcasm at all. Or jokes. She had the personality of a kitchen faucet.

Drippy, and kind of cold?

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Exactly circe! You nailed it! Although drippy MAY have been giving her credit.
3.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2008 9:28:51 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
It wouldn't suprise me. What I really want to know is the evolutionary value of finding cats and dogs so cute. It is so prevelant and in me atleast so strong, that it seems like there must be some deeper advantage, but even with all my training in evolutionary science, I have yet to find it.
it's so we'll bond with our (human) babies. we're hardwired to find small things to be cute.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results