shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire setting vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So since you are really the only ones who understand these frustrations, I need to vent this out.

My first colored stone is a sapphire, and it is still my favorite piece. I have it in a WG solitaire setting. It was meant to be a temporary setting, but it is really working for me so I am planning to keep it in that setting for at least a few more years.

About a month ago it came loose, so it took it to the jeweler, asked them to tighten the prongs and re plate it. I got a call back saying the owner wanted to talk with me in person. So I set up an appointment. It turns out the the prongs were shaved down to make them look more "delicate." I explained to him that I told the sales lady to make them as "delicate as possible" but not to compromise the setting. When she got the ring back, she thought the prongs were not the way I wanted them and sent it back to be shaved down and the benchman did it despite his concerns. When I told him that, he said he would take responsibility for thickening the prongs but that he wanted to put a bar between the shank and the side of the ring. He specifically said he thought that putting the bar across the profile would ruin the look. I agreed with him and paid to have bars placed between the shank and the side of the sapphire to make it more secure.

Today I go to pick up the ring and the owner tells me that the jeweler wanted to put a bar around the whole ring. He told him no. Well the benchman did it anyways. He told me it looks better than he initally thought and asked me if I want to keep it that way. I told him I would live with it for a weekend and get back to him. He was fine with that.

My point is not to bash the jeweler, which is why I am going to keep him unnamed. I am just frustrated that this is so difficult. This benchman sounds like he has a "I know best" attitude and I hope if I send my ring back to him, he won''t make it looks worse than it does. I am really tired right now, but I will try to get pics changes up so everyone can see what I am talking about. I will put a pic of the way it was before for reference.

IMG_0463_1.JPG

The plan was to add a bar between where the shank and the prongs meet. Instead, a full "basket setting" was done if that makes since.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How frustrating for you. I hope they get it fixed the way you like it. It looks very pretty. I find custom jewelry has been a challenge for me too.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Marcyc -This jeweler is standing behind the product, and will fix it. I just wanted to give it a chance. So far I want it the way I asked for it.

Here is a pic of the "new and improved ring" with the same view.

sapphirebasket4.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here is the part that they were not supposed to do

sapphirebasket2.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The other side, this one doesn't look that neat to me.

sapphirebasket33.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Gaaah! What did they do??!!
23.gif

The whole point of that setting is to showcase the stone, and you''ve completely lost the open view of the gem with the re-work. At least he''s standing behind the product and will do what you ask, but at this point, your ring might as well be a standard 4-prong basket setting. So sorry LtlFirecracker, this must be so frustrating!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ok, the bar on the last pic is crooked and ridiculous for a benchman that apparently "knows it all." Take it back, demand they do it the way you ORIGINALLY wanted it, or refund you. I agree, it doesn''t look as polished now as it did before.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Oh, ltlfirecracker, I would be so annoyed too.

I have the Vatche X Prong setting for my diamond and it has a bar all the way around. I''ve never been bothered by it at all but it''s a lot more subtle and fluid and integrated into the setting than what''s in your pic.

I hope you get it resolved soon.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah, I would tell them its not sitting well with you, and that its not what you envisioned at all. The bar looks not well done anyways. I''m so sorry Ltl- I hope you can get it all sorted out.

H

hlpkaixin3344

How disappointing. Your ring is very pretty and looked better in the "before" pictures - the bars detract from your sapphire. I''d ask them to return the ring to its original configuration without the bars.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
The anonymous post was me and the PS web server apparently ate my follow-up post explaining that.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I showed it to my BF who said the same thing you guys did, and the ring was a good 18 inches away from him when he saw it! Not only did the benchman go against what I (and the owner of the store) asked him to do, he made the bar crooked. I am going to call the jeweler on Monday and ask him to fix it. I hope removing that bar dosn''t mess up the original prongs.

This bench man makes me think of Leon''s temperament. Except Leon does better work. I am moving in a month, so I will be done with this jeweler after this, although he still has some of the best colored stones I have seen in person.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Lousy work, avoid the jeweller. If a BF noticed the flaw from far away, you can imagine the reactions of people who are actually interested in jewellery
9.gif
(I''m assuming your BF is a standard example of one when it comes to little shiny things that make some weird people happy
2.gif
).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hun, that's not good. You need them to start again I'm afraid. Is the issue that they're worried about the security of the stone? If so, how about two other suggestions to add metal, make the stone secure but not compromise the design ....

ETA forgot to say that the re-worked claws are waaaayyyyyyyy too chunky. Your original ones were much more in keeping with the sleek design. You need to ensure they go back to how you had them before. xxx

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
LD -

So where you drew the stright red line, a bar was placed. That was the *only place* a bar was supposed to be placed
29.gif

Basically I told the jeweler it was ok to make the prongs chunky again. He told me basically either I needed chunky prongs or a basket. Thin prongs without a basket was not going to hold the stone and it would continue to come loose. The idea was to thicken the prongs a bit more and put the side bars to give it a little more support. I spend my day with angry 2 year olds, so I need a little protection for my ring. I would rather have thing prongs, but if you look at Leon''s settings, he always buts a basket on the setting if he has thin prongs. Guess it is a balance between beauty and function.

Thanks for those suggestions though. I think it will be helpful to say I showed my ring to my BF and some other people and they all agree it doesn''t look like it used to.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry. I know I would be upset. Hope it gets worked out this week.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, LtlFirecracker, but your jeweler did not do a good job on setting your lovely stone. Do you think this ring can be reworked or will you need to start over? I hope you can get this resolved and have your ring back on your finger very soon!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 1:17:02 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
LD -

So where you drew the stright red line, a bar was placed. That was the *only place* a bar was supposed to be placed
29.gif

Basically I told the jeweler it was ok to make the prongs chunky again. He told me basically either I needed chunky prongs or a basket. Thin prongs without a basket was not going to hold the stone and it would continue to come loose. The idea was to thicken the prongs a bit more and put the side bars to give it a little more support. I spend my day with angry 2 year olds, so I need a little protection for my ring. I would rather have thing prongs, but if you look at Leon''s settings, he always buts a basket on the setting if he has thin prongs. Guess it is a balance between beauty and function.

Thanks for those suggestions though. I think it will be helpful to say I showed my ring to my BF and some other people and they all agree it doesn''t look like it used to.
Yes you''re right but I don''t think that what you want isn''t achievable. I would be very tempted to take the ring to another jeweller if I were you. Even with thin prongs and just the side bar, the setting should be stable.

Have you considered a tension setting with the same side profile? Here''s my chameleon diamond - ignore the side diamonds but there''s no reason why you couldn''t have a tension set and leave the side open using your V shape - does that make sense?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they get it fixed for you before you move. I agree that bar does not look right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would be done with this jeweller. Despite your concerns and repeated attempts to get through to them, they are just not “listening”. I’m worried that the numerous attempts to fix it is only going to look worse in addition to the cost you have to fork out. I’m sorry for your troubles.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, I am concerned the ring will never be the same again but the bar is already there, and there is nothing I can do. If the setting is ruined, I am probably just going to reset it sooner than I thought I would ( with another jeweler). I wish I could bring my BF with me when I take the setting back, but he has a job interview - which of course is a good thing.

I am just having a bad time with my jewelry. I just lost the back to my ACA earring. No now not only do I not have my RHR, but I can''t wear my diamonds either! I am hoping WF sells spare high-friction backs, because I don''t want to have to ask this jeweler for one.

LD - I totally agree, putting back in the chunky prongs and the side bar was supposed to make the ring more stable without the front bar - that was the whole point.

Chrono - I hear what you are saying. This will be my last attempt to deal with this jeweler, partially because i want the bench man to know, that it doesn''t matter if he is one of the "best in town." He can''t make executive decisions and than do sloppy work. I only know of one other goldsmith, and I doubt he would want to try to clean this mess up.

They are going to loose business from me. I was going to see if they could replace the sapphire in my Mom''s old wedding ring (the ring would need to be re-worked). Now there is no way they are touching that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results