shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire ring I just bought, what you think ?

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
Hey , I just bought this locally at an antique shop. just curious about what you guys think of the Sapphire.
personally its my favorite color, but Im curious does it suit your tastes as much as mine?

I got the ring for $430, I think it was a great deal.

regards,

Chris

5yt5gdfg4asds.JPG

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think the price i payed was very low considering the quality of this sapphire.
. So any information you can give negative or positive will help me.
I am love learning about stones, I know a bit about diamonds, but these colored stones are in
an entirely different ballpark

Experts advice greatly appreciated somebody teach this sapphire rookie a lesson !! :) :)

Chris

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question 1: How do you know it is a natural sapphire?
Question 2: How do you know if it is treated or not (thus knowing if it is a good deal or you overpaid)?
Question 3: What is the mm size or estimated carat weight of the sapphire?

Looking at the colour (somewhat gray but at least it isn’t an inky dark blue) and presuming heat only (no diffusion), I’d say the price you paid is fair.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
the metal alone is probably worth that much

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 11:21:36 AM
Author: VapidLapid
the metal alone is probably worth that much
Yes, I agree. However, as Chrono stated, there is not enough information about the gem to determine a true value on it. Removing it from the settng might also damage the piece since it''s bezeled. Therefore enjoy it for what it is and know you probably paid a fair price.

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
Question 1: How do you know it is a natural sapphire?
The seller stated it was natural. I am not 100% but I trust my seller.
He stated ceylon as the origin the only part i do not believe.

Question 2: How do you know if it is treated or not (thus knowing if it is a good deal or you overpaid)?
Nothing was disclosed about treatment or lack of.

Question 3: What is the mm size or estimated carat weight of the sapphire?
It is 9mm by 7mm to the end of the stone showing( the bezel hides the rest)
the seller stated it was approx 2.5 carats

Does anybody know anything about The international Gem and Jewelry show? this is where he purchased the loose stone and setting .

I love your honesty (the stone is too grey) or (too inky) more comments welcomed, and I really thank you all for your time in reading and replying .

Regards,

Chris

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
this stone reminds me of the summer, the icy color of water in a swimming pool or a pond.
during the winter all i see is snow. sometimes i like to remind myself of the summer :) :)

that is my personal reason for choosing this ring !! :)
30.gif

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
lets pretend it is heat only, natural. just to argue about the color

I am most curious about my eye for color, this appeals to me not the dollar signs
How close does my color choice compares to the "most desirable" sapphire color.
The velvety deep blue that has little extinction due to the tiny silk inclusions is most valuable.
No expert here just letting you know that Im aware of the top quality sapphires. Is this medium quality ? Is it low?

colored stones are alot harder to learn about than diamonds, you guys should be paid for the information you give me .

regards,

Chris

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like it. The shot from the back has some darker lines running through it which may be growth lines and could tell you easily if the stone is natural. It also appears to have a slight silkiness to it. Do you own a loupe ? Check it out and see if it has microscopic thread like crystals running through it. These would indicate lack of any treatments if they exist. I think that you got a great deal on that piece.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an important saying around here "trust but verify." Even the most trustworthy sellers can be duped, and the treatments and synthetics out there are so convincing, most expert jewelers are duped. I went to "Peacock & Co" and they were trying to tell me that a large pink stone with tons of fire like a diamond and the same dispersion, was a tourmaline. It was a CZ, and I could tell very easily, but they didn't want to believe me. They're a very trusted seller. I suspect their buyer was duped into thinking it was a tourmaline.

Only a highly reputable gemological lab with the equipment to check for very advanced treatments and synthesis can detect if that's a natural sapphire without or with minor treatment, unless it contains tell tale inclusions as Michael E mentioned. If the stone was diffused (dyed), then it's worth almost nothing.

You cannot tell origin without microscopic evaluation, and even then, it's not always conclusive.

The most desirable sapphire color costs anywhere from $60K to $100K carat, and unfortunatley, that color isn't close. Fine sapphire is typically a medium dark blue with vivid saturation of color. The color has to be seen to be beleived, but check out Palagems.com to see fine examples of Kashmir sapphire. Your stone has a significant grey mask and is lacking in saturation, but the most important thing is that you like it.
1.gif

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I like the ring. However I see it as a mans ring. Am I going to be embarrassed if you are a woman? I''ll apologize in advance. When I saw it, I thought, Oh my son would like that.

Nice ring. Don''t know about the sapphire, except to say I like the soft color.

Wear it in good health.
Annette

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
yes i am a man. :) :) :) hahaha im 22 .

I would consider this sapphire a pastel color like a steel blue,

anybody else have an idea of the exact color of this stone? .

ps. i know how hard sapphire are infront of the camera, the are camera chameleons :razz:

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
heres one i consider better than mine :razz:

idealone.jpg

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the color of the tourmaline, although I am not sure of the color''s value. I actually don''t love the super saturated, primary color stones. I love ones with subtly and variations. People on here always say something is too gray or brown, etc, but I often love those more than the bright neon ones. However, I also totally understand why the "pure" colors are more expensive, which they always are.

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
its not a tourmaline its sapphire :)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2010 2:29:35 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I LOVE the color of the tourmaline, although I am not sure of the color's value. I actually don't love the super saturated, primary color stones. I love ones with subtly and variations. People on here always say something is too gray or brown, etc, but I often love those more than the bright neon ones. However, I also totally understand why the 'pure' colors are more expensive, which they always are.

I'm confused, too.
Are the above photos your stone ? Have you taken the stone out of the ring now?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I really like the color, but can''t speak to the value because I know very little about sapphires. But I prefer this color over the deeper blues of sapphires that are considered "better." And I agree that the gold alone is worth the price. It also has a very smooth and masculine feel.

stonecutter2

Rough_Rock
I love the icy blue color. If you like it for what you paid for it, that''s all that matters!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Chris, I like it! I prefer this blue over the traditional color and I really like it with all that yellow gold, they are a great combo. It is also nice to see a guy wearing a colored stone. Enjoy!

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
The knowledge and wisdom that most people pay for is available on these forums, its too bad more people are not here. This is like a University for gemstones. and the tuition is free

Im a poker player and I met a pawn shop owner one day playing and he has taken me under his wing.
I help him sell and help him with non GIA diamond color grading for purchases under 2000.
He has not spent much time on colored stones but they are my weakness I have a couple of diamond rings but
rarely wear them .

Colored stones have a special feeling, just like spending a day in the forest or at the beach.

Thank-you ladies and gents,

Chris

SB621

Ideal_Rock
hey there,

I dont think anyone here can label the color of your sapphire as it is all based on opinion. What one person may call pale, another will call light and another will call it cornflower blue. Also, while the medium blue that is highly saturated is the most expensive many people like many different colors of sapphires. So ultimately if you like your ring/ stone then that is all that matters. it looks very nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results