shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire recut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all! I have a beautiful light blue sapphire set in a white gold ring, the stone is just over 4cts and measures 9x9ish. It is a cushion cut but I believe it''s a native cut. I would love to have it recut to perform better.

I know plenty of people on here have had stones recut, who have you had them done by and what do you think of the results? There are pics of my current sapphire in its setting in the photo gallery, I''ll try to post some in here to make it easier...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
some pics....

original.aspx

original.aspx

original.aspx

What do you guys think? I''m no expert on colored stone and have no idea what to look for in cut quality, does this warrant a recut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is based only on your pictures. The cut on your stone appears decent. If there is anything to gain, it will be some brilliancy and sparkle. In the colour department, it isn’t a saturated stone, so it is not going to appear a richer blue. In fact, as it becomes smaller after the recut and the light path shortened, it will not appear a deeper or more saturated blue. That said, the most accurate opinion will be by the cutter who has the opportunity to examine it in person.

I know that Dana (Mastercut) does recuts as does Jeff White.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono, I''m actually happy with the color and not concerned about making it look like a richer blue, I was concerned about the cut.

Hearing that you think it is well cut makes me feel pretty good. What does everyone else think? Is this well cut?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The cut looks pretty decent to me in your pictures. It doesn''t really look like it needs a recut to me.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2009 4:11:19 PM
Author: Kismet
The cut looks pretty decent to me in your pictures. It doesn''t really look like it needs a recut to me.
This is true, I would leave the stone alone. Making your sapphire brighter may indeed make it appear a little less saturated. From your photos, it appears to be a fairly well executed cut.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! Good to know!

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi!

From the last photo looking straight down on the stone it looks like there is little if any windowing going on at all. This means that your stone is probably cut with the correct angles, or close to the correct angles, permitting the best light return.

What you might do is look close at the facet junctions under magnification. If the stone is older it may have experienced wear and slight chipping - all normal wear, although sapphire is hard sometimes the sharper edges on the facets can be worn. From your photos though, it looks like this may not be a problem. If you do see rounding or wear you might consider a repolish instead of a recut, this will increase the sparkle and flash as the stone is moved and add a bit of show to it.

My guess is that you have a stone that does not need repolishing, but the only way to really tell is to look a bit closer under magnification.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey Hunt

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think you have a very nice stone, no window or fish eye visible from your photos!! I would leave it as is. But of course I''m just a beginner with Sapphires. Anyway TFS!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A-L;

I second the motion of all the others and cutting expert Roger... The cut looks fine from the photo as it does not appear to have a window, etc. that would hurt the optics of the gem. That is one I would leave alone as it looks mighty pretty just as it is
30.gif

Most Respectfully;

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please leave it as is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results