shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire qualities and non-engagement ring etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what qualities I should "look for" / "inquire about" if I want a sapphire that glows and sparkles? Does fluorescence give glow and a brilliant cut gives sparkle?

I also would like to know if it is "okay" to wear a coloured gem on my left "engagement" ring finger when I am not engaged (I am in a long-term committed relationship with my BF but we have decided that gettting married isn''t for us). I am emotionally engaged but not actually engaged...

I am asking these questions because I want to buy myself a sapphire gemstone ring that I will wear everyday to mark my 30th birthday and to celebrate the fact that I''m studying abroad right now. I expect to wear this sapphire ring everyday but I am also thinking of the long-term jewelery projects... and I would also like to wear a diamond ring at some point. So, I was thinking of wearing the sapphire ring on my left ring finger and (later at some point) wearing a diamond ring as a RHR. How does this sound?

Let me know what your experiences are with RHRs or non-engagement LHRs as well (if anyone out there wears LHRs casually).

Thanks,
Gempassion,

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''ll let the ladies here answer your questions about wering rings, but I can tell you a thing or two about the appearance of gemstones. In general, the more they glow, the less they sparkle and vice versa. That''s because glow gives them a more gentle, subdued, appearance, so it makes "the sparks" of brilliance less sharp and distinct. So I don''t think you can really have these two qualities without them influencing eachother. Somebody correct me if I''m wrong. I don''t know how much fluorescence has to do with the glow of sapphires (it can do wonders for rubies), but I think that a strong saturation of color is a much better guarantee of glow, than any fluorescence.

You''re partially right when you say that a brilliant cut gives them brilliance. But I''d like to clarify a few things, to make sure you understand what I''m talking about and to make sure we mean the same thing. Brilliance is what you see when the light hits the stone and bounces back, so you see a sparkle. Therefore, just about any faceted gemstone has some degree of brilliance, but how much is a different matter. Another word we use to describe how gems look is scintillation, which basically is a description of how lively is the brilliance, and how fast (and how much) the light bounces around inside a gemstone. So, for example, an emerald cut gemstone can have a more evident brilliance than a round (or "brilliant cut") one, but the round one has a potential to be much more scintillating, cause it''s got more facets and of smaller size, while an EC can have fewer facets and they''re generally larger (so they can "shoot larger sparks of light"). So, yes, a brilliant cut (the term used to describe a variation of a round cut) can increase brilliance of a gemstone if it''s well cut and well polished, but it''ll mostly bring you more scintillation than some other cuts. If you''d, however, like a stone that''s very brilliant and has large reflections of light coming off it''s facets, then a brilliant cut might not be the best idea.

But I''m guessing you''re in no hurry and have some time to google around and find things out before making a purchase.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ma re,

No, I''m no hurry. I''m looking around to see what''s out there but I''ll probably end up with a custom gem. Thank you for clearing up what scintillation is for me. Your answer has been very helpful.

Best,
Gempassion

vsol

Rough_Rock
If you''ll be going with a custom cutter, you can let them know all the qualities you''re looking for and your total budget and they''d be happy to let you know what is or what is not feasible. I just had one cut by Dan Stair and gave him a size and a few color and sparkle likes and dislikes and he came back with a great stone and a "modified" round brilliant cut that will do exactly what I was looking for. Haven''t seen the stone in person yet but I am super excited! Should be here Monday or Tuesday..

My opinion on erings and whatnot from a guy''s perspective, my gf currently wears a ring on her left ring finger that she''s been wearing since before I met her so I think that is perfectly fine. She has even used it to fend of would-be flirters when she''s not in the mood ;-) But at the same time I plan on proposing to her soonish and sized the ring for that finger. Now I''m a little worried she won''t like mine as much as the one she''s been wearing for 7 years! But the ring is less important to me than us being happy so I don''t care what she chooses to put on her fingers. I think it''s safe for you to take the same approach that they''re your fingers, you love your bf so who cares. (and personally, a ring can be a sign of commitment even if you don''t plan on getting married .. you might want to make sure your bf is cool with that)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say I think wearing a ring that shows your commitment is a lovely idea. BTW my mother has been with the same guy for 25 years and they also chose not to get married. They call them selves partners and they own their home together and everything.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though I''m married I opted to not have an engagement ring (long story!! lol) I wear whatever rings I feel like on whatever hand. As long as you''re partner is ok with that, I wouldn''t worry about it much.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Conventions are so conventional. By the time they become accepted norms they are more like nostalgic artifacts than manifestations of a contemporary zeitgeist. Wear what you want. The only etiquette that matters is your own sense of taste and style - what feels right on you, by you.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/10/2010 12:21:32 AM
Author:Gempassion
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what qualities I should ''look for'' / ''inquire about'' if I want a sapphire that glows and sparkles? Does fluorescence give glow and a brilliant cut gives sparkle?

In blue sapphires, "glow" comes from microscopic inclusions, "sparkle" comes from a good cut and a top quality polish. Very few blue sapphires have much noticeable fluorescence, (though a chalky white fluorescence is an indicator of high temperature heating).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should wear whatever rings you want and since you are in a committed relationship whatever you both think is all that matters.

I had an oval royal blue sapphire that really glowed but it did not sparkle much. It was a beautiful stone however I traded it in for a round royal sapphire and while it sparkles a lot more than the oval it''s color beauty can''t touch the one I traded in. I guess you have to look around and see what appeals to you most.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the helpful comments,

My bf is happy with whatever kind of ring I wear as long as I am happy with it. He''s the one who encouraged me to join pricescope in order to find some help getting the type of sapphire that I''m after.

I do think that going custom will be my best option since I''m looking for something fairly specific. I''m living in Australia now so Doug from Bespoke is trying to source what I''m after (he said it could take him a few weeks though). I found Doug''s website when I was lurking on someone else''s thread... I wasn''t even sure that there were precision cutters here in Australia.

I''ll let you know how I go.

Thanks again!
Gempassion

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is fine to wear a ring on your left ring finger if you would like. Some people may ask questions, but what does it matter if you are alright answering them?

My mother wore rings on her left ring finger that my stepfather gave her over the 25 years they lived together and did not get married (they just got married a month or so ago). She had beautiful opals, amethystes, diamonds, sapphires, and so on and would switch them out. I used to joke she was not getting married as she wanted to always get new rings
26.gif
. She still got a new wedding band when they did decide to get married.

I have a coworker who is single and just loves rings (especially rose gold and gemstones) and she wears one on her left ring finger too. I am sure it limits some of her "meeting random guy in produce aisle who asks her out on a date" opportunities however she likes to rock her rings.

I did get married and opted not to have an engagement ring when we got engaged! I do wear a wedding ring, and am getting a new "engagement" ring and wedding band now after we are married, but I guess my point is do what works for you and your partner.

Others have answered your sapphire questions (I LOVE sapphires they are my favourite and I would choose a lovely sapphire over a diamond anyday to be honest - my wedding ring is a sapphire with diamond sidestones, and my new ring will also be sapphire with diamond sidestones - it is common in my family to choose sapphires for engagement and wedding rings rather than diamonds).

Have fun selecting your sapphire and setting!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve worn gemstone rings on my left ring finger ever since I was a teenager and got my first nice pieces of jewelry. Wear whatever you want, on whichever finger you want! I for one don''t assume someone''s engaged if they wear a left hand ring, especially if it''s not a diamond solitaire.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 6:52:38 PM
Author: Gempassion
Thank you all for the helpful comments,

My bf is happy with whatever kind of ring I wear as long as I am happy with it. He''s the one who encouraged me to join pricescope in order to find some help getting the type of sapphire that I''m after.

I do think that going custom will be my best option since I''m looking for something fairly specific. I''m living in Australia now so Doug from Bespoke is trying to source what I''m after (he said it could take him a few weeks though). I found Doug''s website when I was lurking on someone else''s thread... I wasn''t even sure that there were precision cutters here in Australia.

I''ll let you know how I go.

Thanks again!

Gempassion

Hey gempassion,

welcome from another Aussie - what state are you in may I ask?
Like others, I think it''s a lovely idea to wear a CS ring to wear your commitment, and as long as your partner is on board I see no reason not to!
Good luck working with Doug, I have heard good things about him here although am yet to use him.

In case that doesn''t work out or you want to "shop around" can strongly recommend Jeff White, who cut my sapph <--------- and is really intuitive at sourcing the exact colour and qualities in a stone that the client wants. I was just checking out the sparkle on my ring under spotlights last night, and noticed the sapphire gives the ideal cut side diamonds more than a run for their money
5.gif

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for everyone''s lovely stories about various non-engagement rings. They are quite inspiring.

(To arjunajane): I''m in Victoria (I''ve been in Australia for a little over three years and I will be here for another year or so while I complete my studies... I am originally from Canada though). Australia is a beautiful country!

I caught on fairly quickly that Jeff White is a beloved cutter among pricecopers, and I have already asked him what he has in stock (he was very nice and quick to respond to my emails). Since I''m after a specific, fairly saturated hot pink, he was kind enough to suggest cutting a Lake Baringo Ruby but only had enough raw material for a 5x5mm cushion shape. And, I want something slightly larger since it will be worn as a solitaire. Now I''m waiting to see if Doug can find something but he said that he has to scout-out a native-cut and then recut it as I am being fairly specific about the colour.

I have no idea why I want a pink sapphire. I don''t even wear that much pink at all and blue has been my favorite colour for quite some time but I am suddenly attracted to the warmth and vibrancy of a hot pink gem for some reason.

This is my first gem project, but I''m sure there will be many others. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I start looking at various websites.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was waiting for other''s responses because I am not too familiar with "ring etiquette". I do not wear a wedding band for most mundane reason: I gained weight and it doesn''t fit! At the same time, I plan to get on a diet and feel there is no reason to size it.

Also, in my culture we use right hand for wearing a wedding band. If a woman is divorced and wants people to know it, she moves it to the left hand. I wonder if it is typical for everyone who is Eastern Orthodox (e.g. Greeks? It should make sense). I am using this information just to illustrate my point, that which rings you wear on on which hand is in fact it more of a personal preference. People who are in committed relationships emanate certain "vibes" - I do not think I ever made any deductions by looking at the rings.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wear whatever ring you want where you want. Anyone who knows you well will already know your relationship status and if they don''t know you well then is won''t concern them. They''ll just see a pretty ring there. I''m not married or even engaged (yet), but I wear rings on that finger all the time. Sometimes I even wear a diamond solitaire there just because it''s a nice stone and I haven''t yet had a custom mount made for it yet. Enjoy your rings.
35.gif

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about a mahenge spinel? They come in stunning hot pink, and can be sparkly and glowey. I don t have one (yet!!!!!
28.gif
) but some of the ones I have seen on PS lately are stunning. I dont think it would be a cheaper option, but if its hot pink you are after maybe there would be more choice.... I could be totally wrong on this one (being a newbe myself).

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the information crasu. The Greek Orthodox tradition, which I think you are refering to, sounds very interesting.

I will do what I like in the end. I was just wondering what others do.

For mousey: Hi, yes, I have had a look at some spinels but I find them too pink. I want a pink with a tad of purple in it. And, I''m set on the hardness of corundum since I''ll wear this ring everyday. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Thanks again,
-Gempassion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results