shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire + Mark Patterson Ring - Good Match?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
I started this thread in RockyTalk because I thought discussing a setting meant it had to go under that forum.

Here''s the story:
My BF and I paid a visit to Michael C. Fina yesterday to take a look at the Mark Patterson settings we''re interested in. After viewing all 3 versions of the same design, we both agreed that this was our favorite version:
Mark Patterson Setting - Crescent Pave with Plain Band

I haven''t been moved by diamonds (never really have), but until I discovered PS never really thought there was any other option. Then I saw some colored stone rings and it''s like the world opened (I might have even heard singing
10.gif
). Anyways, I''ve seen a few stones that I like and was recommended this sapphire by Ed from Wildfish (very nice guy):
Wildfish Sapphire

Do you guys think these two would be a good match? I''ve photoshopped them together and attached an image of the Sapphire inserted, although not adjusted proportionally for size since the sapphire has different dimensions than the reference picture.

Thoughts/comments?

MPCPave031010S.jpg

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I think the setting is beautiful
30.gif

No real advice on the stone but it may be too dark IRL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a lot of money for a checkerboard crown sapphire that might be too dark. Typically, I think, checkerboard crowns are for... well, less expensive stones. I have to be 100% honest, if I say that on someone I'd think it was a cocktail ring and that the center was a tourmaline. But what do I know, apparently blue green sapphires are expensive and normally pretty dark. It could just be a personal preference thing.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
that is a very strong stone personality wise. it has fantastic color and looks like a strong dichroism. with the greenish from the side and that plutonic blue through the top. The cut as well is interesting and unusual. As long as it works as an engagement stone for you it doesn''t matter what someone else thinks across the room. It really needs a custom setting designed for it though IMO. Something that takes advantage of its unique cut and color rather than trying to make it pass as an ER. I don''t think that Patterson setting goes with this stone. Since we can only we it from above I am wondering if it is open enough on the sides to show off how the pavilion is a framed triangle o n two sides and a harlequin on the others?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not halo, bezel or semi-bezel that stone. On Wildfish's site, it is defined as a medium dark stone, and it might go too dark in such a setting. Besides, as the others suggest, I would like an open setting to show off the pavillon faceting and the pleochroism of the gem that Ed talks about on his photo descriptions.

I would be very tempted to used a brushed finish with that stone, or some detailed engraved and slightly oxidized surface (think Van Craeynest) to enhance the color a bit, yet compliment the metallic blue green of the stone.

Something like this perhaps

LIBwedset0002.jpg

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the comments guys. It is a very unusual stone and I already had this setting in mind so was trying to see if I could merge the two together.

I''m attaching a previously posted image from BoomersGirl who had this setting matched to her cushion diamond. Since I''m not an expert, is this setting open enough?

If not, would anyone be able to suggest a setting that would work well to showcase the stone. Thank you for the suggestion Tourmaline Lover (and I hope you don''t take offense), but that type of ring isn''t really my style. I would want something simple and elegant more than anything else since this sapphire speaks very strongly enough for itself and since that is also my general taste (classic, clean lines). As one of my friends describes me, I dress very classicly - black tailored trousers, with fitted tops, all neutrals with only one bright eye popper colored statement piece - usally a handbag, shoes, or tailored coat/jacket.

Would a simple setting like this Leon Mege, or some sort of variation, which I also really like work: Leon Mege Setting - Reference Link

]PSBoomersGirlMPRing.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think that stone has a checkerboard top. I can't tell really though.

Heyjudes--Have you seen this in person yet? If not, when will you get to? I personally think that setting is pretty cool, but I think I'd probably lean towards a 4 prong with a diamond shared prong band.

I don't know. There are too many settings out there in the world! This is why I have half a bajillion erings!

ETA: I think that if it had those diamonds on the sides of the stone, but all the way around, like a sunken down halo, it would be better. I've seen what I'm talking about elsewhere on the forum, but I'm terrible at remembering people's diamond rings. (Colored stone rings, I'm much better at remembering!
31.gif
)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Don''t know how many of you have clicked on all three of the available photos of the setting in question (on the link provided by the OP), but I don''t have a feeling the stone will go too dark. I''m no expert, but seems to me that it wouldn''t result in a stone much darker than one set in a traditional prong setting. Actually I think these two compliment eachother very well, it''s quite a unique setting and certainly quite a unique stone, so I think putting that stone in some very traditional setting wouldn''t be much of an idea.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/11/2010 5:18:59 AM
Author: ma re
Don''t know how many of you have clicked on all three of the available photos of the setting in question (on the link provided by the OP), but I don''t have a feeling the stone will go too dark. I''m no expert, but seems to me that it wouldn''t result in a stone much darker than one set in a traditional prong setting. Actually I think these two compliment eachother very well, it''s quite a unique setting and certainly quite a unique stone, so I think putting that stone in some very traditional setting wouldn''t be much of an idea.
I agree.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone and the setting go well together. I would worry about the sapphire being too dark in person though. Will Ed take additional pictures for you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the stone being of a very unusual cut and colour, I’d wait to have the stone in hand before going shopping for the setting. I know you are very excited but you don’t want to pick out something then have it not work out due to the depth, pavilion design or seeing how the colour will change once in a particular setting. I do like the setting though and would keep it as a contender.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I ditto everyone else about the stone going too dark, but just wanted to say that I''ve always loved that setting but never thought of it with a colored stone and am completely in love now. Can''t wait to see what you decide!

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the comments. I had thought of putting these two together because this setting because was beautiful and seemed to let in a lot of light due to the thin crescents (are they considered a half bezel setting?) and the way that the sides and bottoms are visible. Is that an incorrect assumption on my part?
Date: 3/11/2010 2:02:39 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Heyjudes--Have you seen this in person yet? If not, when will you get to?
That is part of the problem. I''m traveling for the rest of the month so the earliest I could get it would be the beginning of April. I want to be able to get it when I have a good few days to really look at it, since it is so unique, and see if it would work with this setting and, if not, I would be able to find another setting to match.

I guess I was just trying to take advantage of this deciding time to feel it out. If it wasn''t doable I didn''t want to waste (anymore) time obsessing.
26.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Heyjudes, are you married to that stone (so to speak)? The setting isn''t really a semi-bezel, but I think people''s concern is that the stone might just be a bit dark in real life in general. As someone above mentioned, you should ask Ed if he can take pics on his hand or outside so you can see how the color shows in other lights.

If you think its too dark after seeing more pics, you can let us know or talk to Ed about what other colors or particular stones you''re interested in. And if you don''t think its too dark after seeing shots in other lights, then great!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the setting that Freke posted.. wow!
I would also be concerned about the darkness of the stone, but I tend to like lighter and brighter colours..

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 12:49:52 PM
Author: Novel
Heyjudes, are you married to that stone (so to speak)? The setting isn't really a semi-bezel, but I think people's concern is that the stone might just be a bit dark in real life in general. As someone above mentioned, you should ask Ed if he can take pics on his hand or outside so you can see how the color shows in other lights.

If you think its too dark after seeing more pics, you can let us know or talk to Ed about what other colors or particular stones you're interested in. And if you don't think its too dark after seeing shots in other lights, then great!
Nope, not married to it. Just interested and wanted to get to know it better, so to speak before taking the next step
2.gif

I will take your suggestions and ask for additional pictures to see how the colors show in other lights. Besides pictures in hands or outside in natural light, what else should I ask for? Any particular angles, etc.?

Thanks so much everyone!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say to ask for as many different lighting choices as he''s got. At least one in natural light, and at least one inside.

I think it''s a fabulous stone. I LOVE blue green sapphires.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone certainly has a heck of a personality on it, and I personally like it. But like some have said, its best to see it in person to see if your personality goes along with it and that it works for your environment.

-A

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the color and I think the setting is cool! I would think as long as it''s not too dark when it''s loose, it should be ok in that setting.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! Based on everyone''s comments, I''ve written to Ed to request additional pics. I got an autoresponder email from him saying he was traveling until the 19th, so hopefully he will get the email soon and be able to get those additional pics.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results