shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire for a bezel James Meyer???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brightblue

Rough_Rock
When I saw this photo I knew what I wanted.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jw-jm-ckims-engagement-ring.136024/

(I do not know how to make it linkable...anyone?) I was hung up on heated vs. unheated sapphires and I am past that now. My questions are these:
1. What color sapphire would you suggest to go in a bezel setting so that the blue does not significantly darken? (J. Wise posted in another thread that having light underneath it does not really give it anymore brightness) Anyone with experience here, please chime in.
2. Would you source your own sapphire or just let JM-the professional find one. (his prices are probably higher-I have been to numerous suggested sites and just can''t determine why one stone is $600 and another is $1900)
3. This is a 25th anniversary wedding ring replacement so I want it just right. MY finger is a size 8--any views on how a delicate ring (I want an oval or cushion 1.5-2 ct. 8mm length-I think) would look on a stocky finger? I would also want the wedding band like what Coati has.

I saw heartbroken''s post and know how she felt. But then I thought-there ARE lots of vendors. I just need some guidance.
THANK YOU>

34.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that with precision cutting, the stone does not seem to darken much, if at all, in a bezel setting as opposed to native cutting on a gemstone. Also, some bezel settings are more enclosed than others. I love JM''s bezel because it is one of the most open style of bezels where the pavilion is shown to great advantage. It is up to you whether to source your own or let JM find one. I highly doubt he''ll find you a dud. If you are up to the challenge, then by all means, do a lot of research and reading so you can determine why a stone is $600 and another is $1900. Posting the stones you have in mind here on PS and asking for extra sets of eyes is always welcome too. There are many regulars who''ve developed an eye to differentiate a good stone from a poor one.

As for a stockier hand, I''d suggest either an oval or an elongated cushion set NS to give the appearance of lenthening the finger.

brightblue

Rough_Rock
Here is one stone

DT #2.jpg

brightblue

Rough_Rock
I''ll have to figure out how to upload and not just have an attachement...

GS #1gem-253335a.jpg

brightblue

Rough_Rock
Trying again

brightblue#2.jpg

brightblue

Rough_Rock
Well, I am going to get some help loading some pictures of stones I have looked at.
Thanks Chrono, for your interest. It seems that there is something to be said for trusting the guy who is making the ring. It''s just there are so many blue sparkles out there and I want a stunning cornflower blue!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Get rid of the spaces and the # symbol in the file name.

reggie

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 3:27:11 PM
Author:brightblue
When I saw this photo I knew what I wanted.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jw-jm-ckims-engagement-ring.136024/

(I do not know how to make it linkable...anyone?) I was hung up on heated vs. unheated sapphires and I am past that now. My questions are these:
1. What color sapphire would you suggest to go in a bezel setting so that the blue does not significantly darken? (J. Wise posted in another thread that having light underneath it does not really give it anymore brightness) Anyone with experience here, please chime in.
2. Would you source your own sapphire or just let JM-the professional find one. (his prices are probably higher-I have been to numerous suggested sites and just can''t determine why one stone is $600 and another is $1900)
3. This is a 25th anniversary wedding ring replacement so I want it just right. MY finger is a size 8--any views on how a delicate ring (I want an oval or cushion 1.5-2 ct. 8mm length-I think) would look on a stocky finger? I would also want the wedding band like what Coati has.

I saw heartbroken''s post and know how she felt. But then I thought-there ARE lots of vendors. I just need some guidance.
THANK YOU>

34.gif
brightblue – About a month ago I contacted JM looking for basically the same thing as you. He sent me a couple pics with five different Ceylon sapphires and a few antique diamonds from the late 1800s. The pic he sent me showed one lavender round, one blue round, one blue cushion, one purple oval and one green cushion sapphire. I thought the sapphire prices seemed very affordable but I am like you in the fact that I have no idea what makes one sapphire that much more expensive than another.

I really liked the blue round and the green cushion but I ended up going with one of his antique cushion diamonds. I would give him a call to find out what he now has on hand or what he could get for you. He seemed very willing to find me a different sapphire if I wanted to go that route so I’m sure he would do the same for you.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you haven''t, read this article: http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

It should make things more clear to you and bring you closer to understanding gemstone evaluation. Just like diamonds, gemstones also have their C''s, which can help you tell a bit about a particular stone.

brightblue

Rough_Rock
Ma Re-Fantastic article. It was very informative. THe difficulty is seeing these things in a photo.
Reggie-I read many of your posts-congratulations on your decision. Did you get a wedding band from JM as well?

How strong are cabochons? This may be an alternative. I haven''t even heard of this before a week ago.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 12:16:59 PM
Author: brightblue

How strong are cabochons? This may be an alternative. I haven''t even heard of this before a week ago.
Cabs don''t have facets so they tend to hold up better to daily wear, unless of course they have too many inclusions inside, in which case they might be somewhat more fragile and sometimes even difficult to set - but a good jeweller will be able to tell you if that''s the case with your stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cabochons hold up to daily wear a lot better than a faceted version of the same variety because there are no pointy ends to chip. However, the look of a cabochon is quite different from the faceted version. A cabochon is all about the colour and glow while a faceted stone can get away with lesser colour because of the sparkle, dispersion and fancy cutting. The Cs to look for in a cabochon is mostly similar as the faceted version.

reggie

Rough_Rock
brightblue – I’m holding off on purchasing a wedding band until after the girlfriend becomes the fiancé. It all depends on how much more bling she is craving after seeing her ering.

I think cabs are pretty cool looking and definitely unique. I don’t think I’ve personally ever seen one as an ering. I asked Jim how much 1316 would be if I replaced that aquamarine with a similar sized sapphire. He said it would cost around 22k. I laughed and said maybe next time. I would have purchased 1316 had I thought the aqua could have held up to the daily wear and tear of an ering. Jim agreed it would be a bad idea and if you do a quick search on PS the general consensus is that aquas just aren’t hardy enough for that kind of usage.

That brings me to a new question though.

Chrono – Do you really think aqua cabs would hold up better than an aqua that’s faceted? Cabs seem very exposed and in turn more susceptible to scratches. Or was your statement geared more toward sapphires?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reggie,
My answer applies to all varieties of gemstones. While a cabochon aquamarine might appear more exposed, those scratches do not affect the brilliance as much as it would in its faceted version. Being a rounded surface all around, it is less likely to get scatched up compared to a faceted stone which has pointy corners all over the crown area.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 8:49:25 AM
Author: Chrono
Reggie,
My answer applies to all varieties of gemstones. While a cabochon aquamarine might appear more exposed, those scratches do not affect the brilliance as much as it would in its faceted version. Being a rounded surface all around, it is less likely to get scatched up compared to a faceted stone which has pointy corners all over the crown area.
And even more importantly, flat surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results