shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire eRing - white gold or platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adams828

Rough_Rock
White gold or platinum? Talk amongst yourselves
2.gif

Okay okay, more details will come once I have more time - I am working on a sapphire (an amazing Jeff White cut to go with the others!) engagement ring, and also am going to work with BGD on the setting.

What are everyone''s thoughts on white gold vs. platinum? Color? Durability? Cost differences? Here I am feeling pretty good about myself having figured out a fraction of the collective PS knowledge is, and then I come to find there is another decision to consider!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can throw cost difference out the window. The 2 are practically the same price today.

White Gold
Shows scratches less easily.
Harder but less pliable
Make sure the person wearing it is not allergic to the alloy used in WG
Depending on the body chemistry, may need replating anywhere from every few weeks to a few years, otherwise will show a yellow tinge when unplated.

Platinum
Never "loses" metal. When repolished, it just "moves" around.
Never needs replating and no allergy worries
Has quite a heft compared to WG
Gets scratched up easily which then becomes grayish and is called a patina. Polishing it makes it appear brand new again.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Platinum is usually much more expensive than gold. But the price of gold is extremely high just now, nearly the same as platinum.

That means it''s a much better time to buy platinum than gold.

I FAR prefer platinum anyway. I like the weight, the color, the durability.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the JW Club, Adams! Can't wait to hear more about it!!! (another vote for platinum)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I actually vote for white gold. I feel like plat just looks very grey after awhile- even after polishing. But I think I might be the minority on this one
5.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I vote platinum.
Reasons:
1. I became allergic to gold after after years of no problems.
2. Platinum will bend. It is not brittle. So,when my three day old dainty platinum ring got caught on the edge of a table , it just bent and the jeweler fixed it within about two minutes while I waited. He told me that if the ring had been white gold instead of platinum, I would have snapped it.

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
WG for the no-show scratches.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a WG person. It doesn''t turn color on me. 18 years, no replating still looks white.

Plat looks grey to me, all the time. Maybe my friend never repolishes or maybe my eyes are off.
26.gif

BUT I think now would be a great time to TRY a plat item and see what you think of it. Can you do that before deciding on the ering? Maybe earrings??

HTH

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just gone through this decision process, and plat won hands down for me (coming from someone who was decidedly "anti-platinum" in the past).

Although, that said I do think it depends on the setting style you are choosing - quite alot.

adams828

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information and advice everyone! Seems like there are pros/cons to both - I''ll have to try and see if I can do some "sneaky" research to find out her preference. She does have some very simple WG jewelry (prefers it over yellow) but I don''t know that she''s ever had a piece more than a few hundred $ so I think platinum was never a thought..

arjunajane - what are your thoughts on the different metals for different styles? I am going along the lines of a narrow (2 or 2.5mm band) with diamonds along the band and "claw" style prongs (single). The sapphire is a square cushion.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 8:39:24 AM
Author: adams828
Thanks for the information and advice everyone! Seems like there are pros/cons to both - I'll have to try and see if I can do some 'sneaky' research to find out her preference. She does have some very simple WG jewelry (prefers it over yellow) but I don't know that she's ever had a piece more than a few hundred $ so I think platinum was never a thought..

arjunajane - what are your thoughts on the different metals for different styles? I am going along the lines of a narrow (2 or 2.5mm band) with diamonds along the band and 'claw' style prongs (single). The sapphire is a square cushion.

Hi adams,
thankyou for sharing your design idea, sounds like it will be classic and pretty!
In this case, I would def. go for platinum.
I am also incorporating a Jeff White cushion sapphire with diamonds into my Brian Gavin ring - my thinking was:

* It is a special stone, for a special ring - it deserves "the best" materials (although what's best is subjective, many will argue plat. is "it" for high end jewellery).
* If it is a delicate design incorporating prongs and diamonds, you may find the brittleness of WG (as compared to the "suppleness" of plat), a downfall for your ring. Especially with single claws on your precious JW sapphire, it will be comforting to know your prong is more likely to bend than break if it takes a hit.
* For an ering, which is intended as an ever-lasting symbol, platinum does have this "eternal" quality. It does not need re-plating etc like WG.
* Allergy was not a concern for me, and it seems like it isn't for your girl either - but apparently some folk can develop an allergy to WG over time - so I guess not worth taking the risk for such an important piece?

In the end, I just really loved the look of Brian Gavin's platinum pieces - have you looked through the galleries in the blog? It looks like it is very finely crafted/finished.

I also agree with the others re comparable pricing - I think my quote for 18k vs Plat was only a couple hundred difference (while a year or so ago it would've potentially been at least double).
If you even have an inkling you'd like to own a plat piece, now is a buyer's market for it.

To be honest though, I'm not sure if the research will help (into your GF's tastes) - because if she has not owned a plat piece, she won't have anything to compare it to, kwim?
Just remember, there are people who thought they would love plat and ended up disliking the scratching/patina thing.
So I guess your research could be geared toward whether you think that issue will bother her?
For me, I figured if it really does get to me - at worst I can just get it polished or even rhodiumed (although I don't anticipate doing that)
2.gif

I hope that helps a bit!
aj

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring has a diamond, not a sapphire, but I chose platinum because of the replating/body chemistry issue. I have plenty of white gold jewelry that has yellowed and needed replating with little more than occasional wear. I am also in a profession that requires me to wash my hands constantly (medical field), and I thought the plating would wear off from white gold faster given that. I like the heaviness of the platinum for my engagement ring but probably wouldn''t choose it for a RHR. Finally, at the time I got engaged, platinum was much more expensive than WG, and I liked the idea of having the "best" metal out there for my engagement ring.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 10:55:52 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I''m a WG person. It doesn''t turn color on me. 18 years, no replating still looks white.

Plat looks grey to me, all the time. Maybe my friend never repolishes or maybe my eyes are off.
26.gif

BUT I think now would be a great time to TRY a plat item and see what you think of it. Can you do that before deciding on the ering? Maybe earrings??

HTH
I would be careful about using platinum as a trial on earrings. The weight may cause the holes in the earlobe to stretch.
8.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 6:25:21 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
I actually vote for white gold. I feel like plat just looks very grey after awhile- even after polishing. But I think I might be the minority on this one
5.gif
not the minority
I prefer white gold only.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 10:05:41 AM
Author: Spirit
Date: 10/26/2009 10:55:52 PM

Author: Stone Hunter

26.gif

HTH
I would be careful about using platinum as a trial on earrings. The weight may cause the holes in the earlobe to stretch.
8.gif

Yup, ditto Spirit. I like the idea of "trying out" plat - but perhaps a plain band would be a better suggestion - maybe a really thin one that could be used as a spacer later on?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 10:09:03 AM
Author: haagen_dazs
Date: 10/26/2009 6:25:21 PM

Author: Sarahbear621

5.gif

not the minority

I prefer white gold only.

Hi Haagen, would you mind to elaborate your reasons for your preference? I always find these kinda threads are a lot more helpful when folks supply reasoning behind their decisions (for the OP and future readers).
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results