shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire engagement rings for the bumbling idiot.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone from Jerry looks lovely! Nice choice! :appl:

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! I love that stone soo much!

Now we have to help you figure out how to set it...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good decision!
until you see it you won't know.
also, if you don't like it, be specific...as specific as you can as to why you don't.
that helps the vendor maybe to find something else in his/her inventory that you might like.
not all vendors have their entire inventory online.
developing a relationship with a vendor is a very good thing.
I personally like this stone because it isn't the pure dark blue that is so much in favor.
I like the lighter color and the mixture of blue/green.

you do know, of course, that we love color stone ****?!
I'm hoping you take pictures and post them for us...
and I'm certainly hoping that when you have this or another stone set you will post pictures of it in a setting and even better yet, a ring shot! we love seeing the finished product on the recipient's hand!!!!!!!

gasdark

Rough_Rock
I will certainly post pictures of the whole process. It's the least I can do.

AS to the setting - presuming for the moment that it's a stone like this one or this one - I am almost certain I want get a ring cast out of platinum. I was under the impression that there are jewelers who will do this sort of thing for not much above the cost of the metals - and then I'm not sure how much more setting it costs.

I know that platinum is a heavier metal than gold - but I can't imagine there are more then ten or so grams in your average engagement ring - and my girlfriend has a very small finger.

Am I correct in these assumptions?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a simple setting will be nice...and allow the sapphire to be the star of the show.
no idea re the price of platinum....I'm more of a high karat gold kind of woman!
hopefully, someone else will chime in on that.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Platinum would run around $1500/OZ which will be around $50/gram; however, the craftsmanship needed is typically more as they are tougher metal to work on; therefore labor charges are higher(at least that's what they told me when they try to get more money and they succeeded).

PS: MZ don't get the newbie started on the hardcore yet, always with soft core. :D

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Eastjavaman, if you don't mind, I'd love to ask a few questions:

1) Where did you get the setting

2) How much did it end up costing (broken down between raw materials and craftmenship if possible)

and 3) were you satisfied with it?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
It was done in HK, I do not know the craftsman personally it was through a local shop, since the shop claims that locals are not very good with platinum. Mine is a wedding band, can't remember precisely what he quoted me, since it seems done forever ago (like my marriage :lol: ). Since Plat is denser(read: heavier) for ring in the same size, they seem tougher, but they are not scratch resistant although they are harder than gold. Overall I do not have any complaint and satisfied with it.

For comparison(you can check Blue Nile) in the same setting you have the option of switching the metal (Plat, 18k, 14k)
http://www.bluenile.com/en/petite-solitaire-ring-platinum_19010
For Plat will run 900$ for 18k will go for 680$

You can estimate the cost of the metal as gold is running at $1250/OZ=$42/gr

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Hm, after doing some searching - I think I prefer palladium over platinum. Obvious price break, but no serious difference in the overall look methinks.

The thing is, I would really love to get the ring cast by a similarly small business like jerry's.

A while back I posted about this on reddit and during the outreach, I was messaged by a guy who worked in a jewelers that did ring casting in Philly. He connected me to his boss, who owns or works for a company called AION Jewelers. I spoke to the boss several months ago and talked about the possibility of a palladium cast setting. They sent me a catalog, which I looked through then and again today.

I want a setting where the band sort of breaks apart into several thin, graceful strands of metal that sort of dance into the sapphire. I also like the idea, as was the case with Jerry, of working with a smaller company and individual craftman. So I've reopened communication with them, explained my notion for the ring, sent a picture and specs for the stone and requested some examples of their cast palladium work.

Question is: Is this stupid? Should I instead rely on specific jewelers recommended by multiple parties? Or, assuming they show me the rings and they look right, and the price is right, is it OK to work with an otherwise unknown entity?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what you are describing, but there are many, many small businesses/individuals who make settings. Daniel M on Etsy sets outside stones and does nice work. Are you philly? Bario Neal in philly is awesome.

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I think I may be waxing a bit poetic in my descriptions.

I'm actually in NYC - but this fellow on reddit is in philly. However if anyone knows a reliable caster in NYC I'd certainly check it out. I'm just loathe to enter the diamond district without a very clear idea of who I'm going to see and why.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer platinum over palladium many times over in terms of servicing (fewer benches deal with palladium), how it wears (palladium looses its white shine far quicker into a very dark gray) and the weight (palladium feels like costume jewellery to my hand in heft).

As for the jeweller, will they send you a CAD to review?
What is their policy in terms of satisfaction with the end result?
Any idea of the customer service after the completion of the ring (potential issues thereafter)?

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Hm great questions -im going to broach them all when they respond.

In fact these questions really highlight why I guess a referral to a ny jeweler wpuld be best.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, I was able to visualize your description of the setting.
solid at the bottom and then splitting into strands that go under [and/or around] the stone and perhaps also form the prongs [or at least the prongs are incorporated somehow].
I think it would be lovely!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
these are some "inspiration" pictures I saved to use one day:

paul_gross_1.jpg

paul_gross_3.jpg

paul_gross_5.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Engagement Rings Direct is in NY and I've worked with them. I'm sure there are many others but I've not used them before.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following this thread with interest - the sapphire you're having shipped out is beautiful, gasdark!!

I was unable to visualise what you meant re. the setting until I saw MZ's pictures. I'm going to strongly recommend that you ask to see samples of pieces they've already made that feature similarly "entangled wires"... in my experience settings like those that feature lots of nooks and crannies and lots of surfaces that aren't easily accessible from the outside can be nightmares to polish unless cast in multiple pieces and polished before assembly. Those unpolish-able surfaces will still be very visible to the wearer admiring the ring on the finger, so a clean wax and pre-planning is SUPER important!

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Gasdark - beautiful Sapphire. Jerry's work is pretty stellar too.

As far as setters - I wouldn't worry to much about the connection from Philly as you have a huge opportunity to work with multiple vendors in NYC. There are some great threads on here with various ones, along with some pretty strong recommendations above! Goodluck :) Can always send in those pictures from MovieZombie above to various casters and see what they come up with.

gasdark

Rough_Rock
These are great ideas - And those pictures are right along the alley of what I'm imagining MZ.

Chrono, I'm assuming you were happy with the results of engagement rings direct?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post a pic of the stone when you receive it, I'd love to see more!

I would suggest, as you are trying to limit the amount you spend yet have an heirloom piece, to try to find a stock setting in platinum or white gold that will work for your stone. Even people who have been working and doing custom work for a long time, can attest that is hard to get it right the first time, especially with something so complex as you describe. Also custom work is priced significantly higher (you don't want to cut corners here). Another place there are respected vendors who work in etsy (I think there is a thread here about them) but they typically work in gold and silver.

I just want to you have a beautiful and simple ring your girlfriend will love, and it looks like you are halfway there!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may have more.....but those three certainly seem workable as ideas to work from.
as you can tell, I like that type of ring!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for platinum or white gold. In the long run, it will be easier to resize, repair, etc.

Make sure whomever you get to set your stone is experienced with setting colored gemstones, which are a little trickier than diamonds! And make sure you discuss insurance, replacement if the stone is damaged, etc. Even if do you have insurance, that Montana sapphire might be hard to replace, as ones of that size, color, and cut are actually quite hard to find!

Daniel M on etsy is someone folks around here have had a lot of success with for custom settings for colored gems. If you dig through his sold items, you might see some settings to start with.

Michael E at gemshoppe.com is a gem cutter and jeweler who is good with colored gems. He has a couple of ring on his site that I think are stock settings that you might like. If they are stock, that will help with your budget, but it would be good to through Michael or someone like him whom you can trust with setting. I can't link directly, but the ones I'm thinking of are under "round rings." There's a few, but the one that caught my eye is on the fourth page and called "partisapphire swirl semi bezel."

gasdark

Rough_Rock
So good news - the stone has arrived and, by and large, I think it looks much as advertised and quite brilliant all around. The stone is surprisingly clear in most lights - but then looking straight down at it from the top, the color changes and it sparkles in such a way that it becomes, overall, rather hard to describe. Taking a picture of it is very difficult in this regard, because the color always changes wildly - from light but strong blue to strong green - in photos. Additionally, my camera, unlike other samsung's I've had, apparently has no macro mode - which is unfortunate. However, it is, no doubt, very photogenic.

gem_1.jpg

At first, looking at it in box it came in, it seemed there were a couple of inclusions when viewed up close - a tiny white dot and a bit of whiteness under one of the near center facets. Then, when you look at it in your hand, it seems not to be the case, which is a bit confusing. Then the whole thing looks a darker blue under direct cloudy light - and I have no idea what it will look like in sunlight, but I can only imagine it will be positive.

Basically, aside from these phantom eye-visible inclusions, I can't see anything wrong with it. And even with them, it appears very beautiful.

Here's another picture with the flash on.

gem2_0.jpg

And another trying to get a more accurate color - although it ends up appearing very dark.

gem3_0.jpg

So, long story short it's almost exactly what I suspected. Question is, should I be concerned about the inclusions - they seem very obvious when they do show up, though I might be imagining it.

Thoughts?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
My guess is that the stone looks a lot better in person. It's so so so hard to photograph colored gemstones. I have been collecting them for close to a decade and haven't yet been ablt to take a decent picture. If you have a friend with an iphone, those seem to work well. I think I can read through the photographs to see the stone it probably is in person... And looks really awesome!!! It does have some gray to it, which is to be expected from Montanas. The colors sounds REALLY cool and dynamic. Of course, I can't make out the inclusions. How much do they bother you? Natural stones are just that, natural, and idiosyncratic. Will they bother your gf? Once the stone is set, it will be sparklier, brighter. My guess is that you won't be able to see the inclusions unless you look really closely and know where to look. But, it's all about personal taste. I think the price you paid is quite good for this stone. The question is whether or not it speaks to you.

gasdark

Rough_Rock
I really like - and the inclusions only bother me when I think abstractly about the idea of getting a "perfect" stone. The whole thing is sort of idiosyncratic - it varies in it's look pretty regularly depending on the circumstances, but is always very lustrous. I don't think it should bother her either, especially if I just never mention it. I think unless you're looking at it with a very critical eye, the first thing that pops into your mind is definitely not going to be negative.

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Sorry, looking back at the pictures and comparing them to the actual stone, It's clear I've done a not so great job. But it is really quite nice nonetheless.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
No, it's hard to capture colored gems... they really are all about reflecting LIGHT, so it's tricky. Makes you feel for the vendors, huh?

Does it look more like jerry's photos or like yours? I like your first photo. You'd get a lot more oohhs and awwws on here if your photos were better, but oh well.

From what I can tell, I love that Montana. I think once it's set, your GF will be thrilled.

But again, how does it make you FEEL? There's no such thing as "perfect gem"-- and if there were, it would cost A LOT more than $800! But there are a million (sapphire) fish in the sea. Would you prefer a stone with NO inclusions? You'll probably want heated gem, then. Do you want a stone with more pure blue color? Perhaps not a Montana. But if you like this one, don't hesitate to forge ahead.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for taking pics for us to see the stone in hand.

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Suffice to say the sapphire looks like jerry's photos - with my top most photo most nearly approximating its look. I put the other pictures just to demonstrate what a hard time I was having getting a proper photo as its look changes drastically in each.

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Also this is a heated stone - does that effect everyones opinion as to price?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results