shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring - Lack of Symmetry?

brody24

Rough_Rock
Just received the sapphire engagement ring I ordered for my girlfriend. I saw the stone in person, but it was loose, against a white backdrop. So I did not realize that the stone is a bit asymmetrical. I was told that the stone was set exactly right, and that its just the stone cut that leads to the crooked look. I am a guy who knows nothing about jewelry, and who is obsessed over neurotic details. So my opinion would be (a) without any basis in knowledge, and (b) biased in that I would obsess over small details. So I would love some opinions on here. Is this a major flaw? Is this not something you would want in an engagement ring? Or is a little bit of asymmetry par for the course when it comes to sapphires and stones like this? Thanks. screenshot_2014-09-12-14-13-48_1_.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones looks to be crooked in the setting and there could be reasons why the jeweller was not able to set it straight.

Do you have clear and magnified pictures of the loose stone?
Sideview of the stone and setting?

The first thing I would want to determine is whether is stone is asymmetrical or not.
Secondly, I want to determine whether it has cut issues that might force the jeweller to mount it as such.

Such asymmetry will bug me to no end, even if it is an occasional wear right hand ring.

brody24

Rough_Rock
I do not have any pics of the loose stone. A family friend works with wholesalers, and he went to gather a bunch of stones and brought some to my office that most matched my criteria (i.e. between 2 & 2.5 carat, cushion cut, medium blue, etc.). And this one seemed to meet the criteria, and had a wonderful color, but I did not snap any pics of the loose stone itself. And when I asked how come it looked crooked, and asked if it was set properly, he said it was set exactly right.

My girlfriend barely wears any jewelry at all, so since this is to be her engagement ring, I feel like the burden is even higher to make sure its excellent in every way.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you take some more pictures? Without flash and in natural lighting (under a tree works well) would be best. It looks like a lovely ring and a beautiful color sapphire.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I love the color!!! A beautiful gem !! But I have absolutely nothing to say whether the setting is correct or not. I am a dummie in jewels.

If the stone is a bit asymetric - it is a piece of nature - not a synthetic stone - maybe the cutter wanted to preserve ( right word ) as much weight as possible.

But the color..... :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, please post highly magnified pictures (zoomed up close or in Macro mode) of the ring from the top view, both side views and as many other views as possible. What are the mm measurements of the stone (length, width and depth) if you have them?

brody24

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1410547936|3749834 said:
In that case, please post highly magnified pictures (zoomed up close or in Macro mode) of the ring from the top view, both side views and as many other views as possible. What are the mm measurements of the stone (length, width and depth) if you have them?

Ok, I will take a bunch of pics, as zoomed in as my phone will go. I believe the width is 6.2 mm, length is about 8 mm. Not entirely sure the depth. Will post those pics shortly.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you find that stone :love:
The setting complements the stone very well

The colour is so amazing that a little bit of asymmetry would not bother me at all. And, like Marlow already stated, it's a piece of nature.

brody24

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1410548230|3749839 said:
Where did you find that stone :love:
The setting complements the stone very well

The colour is so amazing that a little bit of asymmetry would not bother me at all. And, like Marlow already stated, it's a piece of nature.

The benefit of knowing someone who works with the wholesalers is that I had first pick of a new shipment of stones, before the retailers even had a crack at it. And the color was exactly what I wanted.

And my mother said the same thing, that the asymmetry is very minor and that she would have almost never even noticed it unless I told her to focus on it, and zoom a pic of it. So a part of me says this is still a wonderful engagement ring. But I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Here are some zoomed pics I took. Phone camera isn't too great. screenshot_2014-09-12-15-01-08_1_.png screenshot_2014-09-12-15-01-22_1_.png screenshot_2014-09-12-15-02-16_1_.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason it wasn't obvious when unset is because face up and loose, it looks fine. When trying to set it, the bench has to make adjustments for the off-centered-ness, which in turn, just accentuates it. Based on your 3 pictures, I suspect an off-centered culet.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can forgive a wonky cut for velvety blue sapphire color. But those prongs need some work. If it is going to be for an engagement the magic is in the details.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot,
I'm not sure if the jeweller can do anything else for the prongs. He/she had no choice in the placement due to the cutting on the crown. Sure, it could be shaped a bit pointier, but that's personal preference. They look secure and the seats are well notched.

brody24

Rough_Rock
Elliot86|1410549546|3749864 said:
I can forgive a wonky cut for velvety blue sapphire color. But those prongs need some work. If it is going to be for an engagement the magic is in the details.

Can you elaborate? I know nothing about jewelry, so I wouldn't even know what to say is the issue/problem if I call up the family friend who had this made for me. If I am to contact him to say that there is a problem, I want to make sure I can articulately speak to what the problem is.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Different things bother different people. I don't find any asymmetry a problem at all in your ring, from your pictures. The design is very nice, the sapphire color wonderful -- a tiny tad of imperfection would barely register on me. I'd recommend not mentioning it to your GF; see if she notices it at all. Wouldn't be surprising if she were so thrilled by the ring, she doesn't see it or doesn't care. There are other anomalies I wouldn't be able to live with, but in a beautiful ring like this, I don't see anything unbearable. Congratulations, by the way!

brody24

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1410550131|3749877 said:
Different things bother different people. I don't find any asymmetry a problem at all in your ring, from your pictures. The design is very nice, the sapphire color wonderful -- a tiny tad of imperfection would barely register on me. I'd recommend not mentioning it to your GF; see if she notices it at all. Wouldn't be surprising if she were so thrilled by the ring, she doesn't see it or doesn't care. There are other anomalies I wouldn't be able to live with, but in a beautiful ring like this, I don't see anything unbearable. Congratulations, by the way!

I think you are probably right. She won't be looking at super zoomed pics, or having the flaw explicitly noted to her. So perhaps she won't even notice. And honestly, I don't think 99% of people who see the ring will notice since the hand is rarely entirely still, and few people would be close enough to actually recognize the flaw. And to be honest, even if I told her straight up, I highly doubt she would care much. Its me who neurotically obsesses over minor small things like slight asymmetries, whereas she is more easy going and nonchalant. So I'm inclined to lean that way, but still curious what people think.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you, too, get to look at the ring everyday, will this bother you later down the road or do you think you can let it go?

brody24

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1410551005|3749889 said:
Since you, too, get to look at the ring everyday, will this bother you later down the road or do you think you can let it go?

If I know she genuinely loves it and doesn't feel like she is "settling" in any way, then I would be able to put aside any problems I have. I just never want her in a position where she is bothered by it, or has to explain why it isn't straight

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any recourse later when you present her with the ring and she points this out?

brody24

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1410551406|3749898 said:
Do you have any recourse later when you present her with the ring and she points this out?

I will have to find out the specifics. Again, its through a family friend, so I doubt there is a full warranty and satisfaction period, but he said he would make sure everything is made right if any issues. And I would assume that means he would help me find a new stone if necessary, though I would obviously have to pay extra for that.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Wow the color is to die for wish I could find one with color! I love it and would be proud to wear it, really.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
It looks like the stone needs to be rotated about 2 degrees clockwise, but then I'm fanatical about symmetry. :snooty:

brody24

Rough_Rock
Fancygems|1410552858|3749909 said:
Wow the color is to die for wish I could find one with color! I love it and would be proud to wear it, really.

Yeah, in the light, the color is excellent. The box in which the ring is currently held has a small LED light in the top, which shines down when opened. So it highlights the color big time in that first pic.

brody24

Rough_Rock
indigoblue|1410552995|3749912 said:
It looks like the stone needs to be rotated about 2 degrees clockwise, but then I'm fanatical about symmetry. :snooty:

Oh I can relate. I'm the one who, in my apartment, is always straightening posters or frames when they are the slightest bit askew. And my desk is a work of symmetrical perfection. :)

But in all seriousness, you think its minor and not worth fussing over?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
brody24|1410553315|3749918 said:

I think the opinion that matters the most is your and your fiancee. Still, I realize you are asking for our opinion; this would not be okay with me on any setting over $1000.

If it were me, I would go back to the vendor and show him these pictures that obviously show that the stone is not level. He should be able to recognize it is not level, and tell you why that is. If he blames the stone, then that is a difficult situation. I would consider going to another vendor to ask if they can fix it. Of course you will have to pay extra for the repair. I have had to do this before. If you go this route, please have the ring fully insured so that if something goes wrong, your insurance covers it. (Please also notify your insurance policy if you get the ring altered in anyway.) Otherwise, you may end up in a situation where the 2 ring vendors point fingers at each other if something goes wrong.

If you live in the DC area, I can recommend Quest for repairs. I have a thread about their work here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/[/URL] (Since then I have reset the stone to its final resting place.)

As for the stone itself, your family friend may not be able to return the stone. I don't know the circumstances under which he bought it, but 7-10 days a standard inspection period for gemstones.

brody24

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1410555503|3749937 said:
brody24|1410553315|3749918 said:

I think the opinion that matters the most is your and your fiancee. Still, I realize you are asking for our opinion; this would not be okay with me on any setting over $1000.

If it were me, I would go back to the vendor and show him these pictures that obviously show that the stone is not level. He should be able to recognize it is not level, and tell you why that is. If he blames the stone, then that is a difficult situation. I would consider going to another vendor to ask if they can fix it. Of course you will have to pay extra for the repair. I have had to do this before. If you go this route, please have the ring fully insured so that if something goes wrong, your insurance covers it. (Please also notify your insurance policy if you get the ring altered in anyway.) Otherwise, you may end up in a situation where the 2 ring vendors point fingers at each other if something goes wrong.

If you live in the DC area, I can recommend Quest for repairs. I have a thread about their work here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thanks-to-quest-jewelers-for-my-reset.163316/[/URL] (Since then I have reset the stone to its final resting place.)

As for the stone itself, your family friend may not be able to return the stone. I don't know the circumstances under which he bought it, but 7-10 days a standard inspection period for gemstones.

And if the problem is simply the shape of the stone? Then I guess the only option would be to try and see if he can have it returned, and to start fresh, picking out a new one :(

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I am a fellow picture-straightener, and I think the symmetry would bother me after a little while. Obviously what you do is up to you and you know her best, but if it was me, I'd try to get it fixed/adjusted if at all possible, and would take it for a "second opinion." It might be there really are no options with that particular stone, but I'd at least find out from a neutral third party. If that is the case, and I had a lot of money to spend, I'd consider getting a setting made specifically to account for the stone. If I didn't have the money to spend (more likely), I'd live with it as a "quirk" - especially with what looks like really nice color. (Unless you wanted a different stone - another option, but starting completely over sort of sucks)

I will say that your girlfriend not wearing a lot of jewelry is not an indicator of whether or not she will notice. I never wore a lot of jewelry either (I still don't, and frequently forget to wear my e-ring after taking it off at night), but I do notice stuff like that.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Just my opinion - the stone is o.k.!

It is the job of the vendor to set it correct - this is an expensive setting and an expensive stone! If they are not able to it....
It should be a question of honor for the vendor.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now would be the time to talk to your 'friend' who set the stone and ask: Can anything be done to rotate or reset the stone for symmetrical balance? Even if the stone is not symmetrical is it the cut, the culet, the way it is located with the prongs and other side stones that causes it to look the way it does? Sometimes getting a clear explanation of what is at play can make a difference. Explore what is going on with the ring as a whole and what (if anything) can be done to change how it is right now, and then you'll have a lot more info to make a decision about your next step. Since your gf hasn't seen it..........now is the time to explore whether changes can be made. Hopefully your friend will see what you are seeing........

Also I agree that getting an independent assessment (or two) from someone other than your friend would be a good idea........and the shape of the stone could present an opportunity for a recut with someone like Jerry Newman. But that is not without risks too.......there just seem to be a lot of questions (stone in setting seems tilted, is the stone asymmetrical, are the side stones set correctly) at this point getting accurate information will help to sort through this.

brody24

Rough_Rock
digdeep|1410556898|3749961 said:
Now would be the time to talk to your 'friend' who set the stone and ask: Can anything be done to rotate or reset the stone for symmetrical balance? Even if the stone is not symmetrical is it the cut, the culet, the way it is located with the prongs and other side stones that causes it to look the way it does? Sometimes getting a clear explanation of what is at play can make a difference. Explore what is going on with the ring as a whole and what (if anything) can be done to change how it is right now, and then you'll have a lot more info to make a decision about your next step. Since your gf hasn't seen it..........now is the time to explore whether changes can be made. Hopefully your friend will see what you are seeing........

Also I agree that getting an independent assessment (or two) from someone other than your friend would be a good idea........and the shape of the stone could present an opportunity for a recut with someone like Jerry Newman. But that is not without risks too.......there just seem to be a lot of questions (stone in setting seems tilted, is the stone asymmetrical, are the side stones set correctly) at this point getting accurate information will help to sort through this.

Ok, I just wrote to him to find out what, if anything, can be done to achieve a more symmetrical look. I will also go to a reputable jeweler here in NYC for an independent opinion on what the issue is. Any recommendations for a place in the city that would provide useful and honest feedback?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If it's going to keep you awake at night, by all means get another opinion as to whether anything can be done. But before you spend a lot of money, I still suggest giving it to your fiancee first to be sure whether it bothers her. It may not even occur to her, and if it does, she might be so crazed for the color of the sapphire & beauty of the ring in general that she won't care. Everybody's different. Fix it if she does care.

Thing is, you are currently concentrating on this one imperfection to the exclusion of all else. If you put up an immaculate stone on this forum of jewel nuts, you would still get opinions on why it isn't perfect because we are kind of...um...obsessed. What drives some of us crazy isn't even apparent to most normal people. It may bother her. It may not. She has to wear it. I'll guarantee that in a short time, you won't notice the asymmetry because 1. you're a guy, and 2. jewels aren't your thing & you won't spend your time staring at her hand.

This does illustrate the complications inherent in doing business with friends -- if it doesn't work out, it can be sticky. Hope it all works out -- and I really really want to hear how she reacts when you give it to her, please!!! :appl:

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results