shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring from Etsy - experiences/advice

elderwynd

Rough_Rock
I should also add - a big THANK YOU to Chrono, minousbijoux, colorluvr, Chloeishere, velouriaL, Sarahbear621, LD and everyone else who chimed in! This forum is a great resource.

Also a big thank-you to Andrew and Laura Gulij of Gemfix, who were really patient and flexible with their return policy, which allowed me to view all the stones together over a couple of days and choose which to keep. I'm so glad pricescope was able to point me to them!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you found your stone and cant wait to see the set shots. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no better way than to view several stones at once, checking them under various lighting. Yes, as you've noticed, sapphire loves to change its looks depending on the time of the day and the type of light used. You've seen it first hand and selected the one best for you. Congrats! I also agree that the small window will "close up" once set.

I thought the Sri Lankan sapphire looked quite nice too. Was it too small? Did it darken up too much at times?

elderwynd

Rough_Rock
The Sri Lankan sapphire was beautiful - it was a wonderful cut, and actually expressed the least color change - it stayed either violet or a fantastic royal blue. It did darken occasionally in low indirect lighting, but it wasn't excessive. It was a great sapphire, and I hope someone else snags it soon! The size was good too - my only complaint about the Thai sapphire is that it's rather large and may be difficult to wear under gloves, but if so we can just get a necklace or she can leave it at home when she goes to work.

For this ring, however, I wanted one that leaned towards green, not violet. Also, I rather like how dynamic the ring is under different lights - I feel it adds more personality to the ring.

elderwynd

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone!

Sorry for such a long delay - I thought I should finish this post by sharing photos of the set ring. The Thai sapphire ended up being perfect, and a simple white gold solitaire actually suits it much better than I thought it would. The one drawback is the height of the stone - it actually is taking up the entire height of the setting you see, so it can't be set any lower. My (now) Fiancee occasionally knocks her hand/ring against walls or dressers, but she's getting used to it now.

The stone is predominantly blue or bright blue in most lighting. I actually think the setting made it more blue, compared with the white foam it was packaged on when I bought it. It will occasionally turn purple (as shown below), or grey, neither of which really make it bad. And every so often, in the right light/angle, it almost turns clear. Very strange, but in a good way.

One thing this has taught me is that sapphires are very, very hard to photograph and get the color right. The photos below best demonstrate the range of color it expresses (bright blue/deep blue/violet), but 90% of the time it hangs out in between deep and bright blue.

Thank you all for your help - you were an excellent resource and made this MUCH easier for me.

8300058937_7af9859a95_b.jpg

8300058319_6027a9b886_b.jpg

8301111384_e807d343c7_b.jpg

8301111100_e18653ba90_b.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the lovely ring. You mentioned the drawback of height but did not show the profile view. Do you mind sharing a side view of the ring? Also, what is the mm depth of your stone? Just wondering if it can be set lower.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results