shape
carat
color
clarity

S.P.I.N.E.L.S. !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
I notice that there is alot of talk about Mahenge Spinels for their lovely pink or red (when larger in sizes)
What about other red spinels from other locations?
Anyone loves spinels from Burma or Thailand or India?
There are red spinels that do not have to be large and will still be very red =)
Care to share what you might have?
How much is the price/ct for other location red spinels?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fine Burmese reds are not easy to come by and are $$$. I was shown a sizable one. I can''t forget the colour -- red with a hint of purple. $7k/ct.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have two from Sri Lanka. They are a little bit dark but they actually glow under black light which is pretty cool. I have heard a lot of the old spinel jewelry had spinel in it from there. Maybe I can post a pic of them. They were dirt cheap about 6 years ago when I bought them.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Okay here goes.

spinel0562.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
another.

spinel087.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Couldn''t post the last pic for some reason. I had them made into earrings but never wear them so I''ll probably turn them into earring charms.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have two reds from Burma - both around a carat, as they get crazy expensive in larger sizes, as Harriet said. Both are lovely.

Unlike the picture, the gem is very red, not pinkish at all.
psld_redspinel.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i like the color on those
10.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are Sri Lankan, African and East Asian (Burmese, Vietnamese, Thailand) red spinels. Those from Burma/Myanmar are know to be the best but as with all gemstones, that is partially true as each stone must be rated based on their individual colour, not just origin. Yes, there are red spinels that do not have to be large to still be very red and saturated. Prices of these fine reds go anywhere from $1K/ct in sub-carat sizes all the way up to thousands per carat for larger pieces. I have 6 red spinels which do not want to photograph well. They have a tendency to show some orange which is not present at all IRL. All were purchased years ago when they were easier to find and far less expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d like to apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. This picture is a pair of matched red spinels that I am currently wearing. They are rated as very very slightly orangish red and as you can see, my picture does not show that. These are of Burmese origin.

ACSearringredspinel1B.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up is another matched pair with a singleton of Burmese red spinels. These also photograph horribly. These are even redder IRL than the earrings above.

ACStrioredspinelpair1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same picture of the trio, but this time, taken outdoors. Capturing the red colour eluded me again.

ACStrioredspinelpair2A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last red spinel which is also of Burmese origin. Again, it photographs orange-ish when it really isn’t.

AJSringredspinel1B.jpg

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
some of the Mahenge spinels exhibit florescence
do the burmese or other location spinels exhibit florescence too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, some but not all Mahenge spinels fluorescence pink/red. The same with Burmese and Vietnames spinels; some but not all will fluorescence pink/red. I am unsure about spinels from other locations though.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I can't believe you're apologizing for such great photos :) Have you seen the quality of mine lol! I remember those pretty Burmese spinel earring charms of yours. It actually inspired me to make my pair dangly. Lady Disdain, love that hot pink/red! I also have a pink spinel from Burma but it's more of a bubble gum. I adore it but don't know what to do with it since it's only about .90.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark,
If you are interested in fluorescence, I have a thread in which I posted pictures of my spinels taken under UV light. One is a pink Mahenge, one is a red Burmese, one is a orange-Red Burmese (I like the orange as it makes the stone livelier) and two are pastel pinks of unknown origin.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, gorgeous collection!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stones!!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results