shape
carat
color
clarity

Rules for making important purchases

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

There are general rules for making IMPORTANT and EXPENSIVE purchases. Break a rule and you will probably suffer.

Never buy something from a person or a firm that says or implies “Trust me” BEFORE you make darn sure they really deserve your trust. Err on the side of caution.

Don’t pride yourself on being an impulsive buyer. Shop with enthusiasm, but when it comes time to buy or walk, take the necessary time to consider if you have done a thorough job. You can be an impulsive shopper, but don’t be an impulsive buyer.

Spend the time to learn about what you are about to buy. You will add to your knowledge. You won’t make costly mistakes so often. You will be able to appreciate the product you bought and every time you make a fresh purchase you will become even more sophisticated a buyer.

If you don’t have all the knowledge you need, look to employ outside, unbiased expertise. The person selling you a gem or a piece of real estate generally represents the seller’s interests above all others. You may want to pay for good, less potentially biased, advice. Remember, we are speaking here of important, expensive purchases. You don’t need an estimate or an expert on a gourmet dinner, your next dress outfit or a gold bracelet.

You cannot really buy anything of importance sight unseen without throwing up red flags about being cautious. Deal with those who have earned the confidence and praise of their clients. Let the uninformed take the largest risks with a new vendor or an untested product. I had a realtor tell me the water lines around a basement wall were from a broken pipe. The owner was so ashamed they told me the truth about periodic flooding five minutes later, but I had to ask them before they said anything.

By becoming informed and asking questions, you’ll get the truth. Without an effort on your part, you’ll only get what’s handed to everyone else. Don’t expect miracles. Do the work and reap the reward.

And remember, on balance, it is not a great lifestyle to adopt the deep scrutiny of everything before enjoying it. I am only discussing very costly items here. Life is full of wonderful, impulsive things to do. You just don’t want to know every little detail or every little thing. That’s a crazy, over the top approach. Be ready to shift back and forth from enjoyment of life’s small pleasures to the detail required to understand the costly and more complex things one must pursue occasionally.

Further additions and comments are most welcome.
35.gif
36.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Words to live by!!!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Well said! and after the purchase. don''t forget to cherish the "goods" with no regrets - to make whatever it is meaningful beyond the price tag.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Well said, well said!
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This should definitely be posted in the FAQ section - a great summary of how to go about researching and completing a large purchase!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results