shape
carat
color
clarity

Rude Sales People!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
So, today was a nice day at Disneyland (I have an annual premium pass, meaning I go way too often))...

I went into Jewels of Orleans (owned by Dianne's Estate Jewelry, a store also is in San Francisco)...I love their stuff (although, it is a bit overpriced).

I saw a beautiful antique European cut diamond ring. I asked to see it....

The worker (named Dianne, although I don't think she is the namesake) gave me specs, saying it was almost colorless and it was flawless...then she pulled about the EGL cert (it was a "G", although it looked like an "I" and it was a SI2). I mentioned nicely that it really isn't "flawless" and that I was concerned about the SI2. THEN THINGS GOT BAD.

The sales lady snapped and said "Oh you think you are so education!". I said, "No, I am really interested in diamonds and jewelry...someday I want to go to the GIA Institute to get certified". The lady then once again snapped and said "You people throw around the word GIA like you actually know jewelry, it is a "GG" not a cert, and GIA doesn't give them". " I am actually a GG, I would know".

I was shocked, put the ring down, and told my husband-to-be we were leaving.

Whatever happened to the customer is always right philosophy...I left upset, and promising to never buy there.
39.gif

Just wanted to share my anger.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch, good ol'' Dianne must''ve been having an exceptionally bad day! Unbelievable...sorry you had such poor treatment. I honestly would call the store and speak to the manager or owner about the whole ordeal, Dianne''s behavior and attitude were just so unnecessary and uncalled for, you did nothing wrong by trying to discuss the actual specs of the diamond. Yeah, and whatever DID happen to the whole "the customer is always right" mentality? Jeez, you''d think even if a salesperson got annoyed with a customer they would at least be able to keep their discomfort to themselves and go vent in private or something. I think either she was having a really bad day (still no excuse) or you just made her feel stupid. LOL!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ugh - my take is, she felt irritated at being confronted by a reasonably well-informed consumer because of one of two things:

A) She feels insecure about her own knowledge base, or uncomfortable about lying about it (there are many beautiful SI2s out there, but none of them can be described as "flawless")

or

B) She *really* wanted that commission.

Either way, completely uncalled for ... all customer-related questions of etiquette aside, since when is education ever a *bad* thing? Gah ....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-I do hope you call and complain about her the the managerr or owner. That is unbelievable. If she''s a GG, why is she calling an I/SI2 stone colorless and flawless?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2007 1:01:45 AM
Author:UCLABelle

The sales lady snapped and said ''Oh you think you are so education!''.

38.gif
38.gif
29.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I think I may call...I have calmed down a bit, but was shocked....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...it makes me feel like I wasn''t wrong to be angry.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 1:01:45 AM
Author:UCLABelle
Just wanted to share my anger.

38.gif

I am really feeling this issue at the moment, I mean I find it VERY upsetting that people are mean so often.

My personal choice option is to stay at home and venture out as little as possible - but I know that only limits my enjoyment....

I have an interview soon and had to go out to buy a new blouse, I tried on 3 in a large department store but didn't like the fit so handed them back to the SA, saying something like Hi, sorry they are no good, can I leave them with you? Knowing full well I was leaving them in the dressing room with her, but I was being courteous. She scowled at me just as I said Thank you, - I instantly regretted saying it. Then as I walked out she said - in more than a whisper, "for Gods sake" and tutted. - What did I do wrong? I turned around and asked if she was talking to me and she said - "Oh no!" Yeah right. 2 years ago I would have never confronted her but I am so sick of people being mean to DH and me.

Why can't we all get along?

29.gif

ETA: I hope you enjoyed your day in Disneyland.
9.gif

I would third a suggestion to put a call in and describe what the SA said.
23.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hindsight is always 20/20 yanno .. but I *wish* you'd said

"Oh, you're a G.G.? So when you told me the SI2 was flawless, you weren't *mistaken* ... you were LYING! I'd given you the benefit of the doubt ... my mistake." (wide smile & exit stage left)

BTW ... Were you really interested in that stone or just correcting her for sport? It's my experience that people never like to be corrected ... even SALESpeople. Of course being rude about being corrected isn't the best sales technique either!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cousin went to GIA in Los Angeles. From what I recall, you train to become a Graduate Gemologist through the Gemological Institute of America. The cert is the paperwork specific to a given stone when GIA's lab has analyzed it. It is not called a GG, the person is called a GG. Most people on this forum seem to agree that EGL is less stringent when grading stones and that GIA tends to be more accurate. Most people would not call an SI stone flawless, trained or not. Perhaps since she only had an EGL cert she was being nasty. And perhaps she did not expect a Disney guest to be as educated, though they clearly expect them to pay the prices for the merchandise. Not too nice...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Steel-I felt the same way…wondering why I went to look in the first place 

Deco-I love your reply. If only I had thought of that, and/or had you with me. I was interested in the stone. I was thinking of getting an antique ring for my right hand, and the setting make the ring look more like a RHR.

Diamondfan- That’s what I thought…So I should have said "Go to GIA to become a GG". Hmm...Anyway, did your cousin like the GIA in LA? I am looking at the Carlsbad one. I would love to do that someday!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle, I meant she is a dunce to say what she said. It made no sense to me. Yes, I think she did. She went years ago, and then worked in retail for many years, and does a lot of her own design work now. She has a great eye and her custom work is lovely. She loves bling, always has, so this was a natural thing for her to do. She has been a jeweler for at least 20 years.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I would definitely call about that- there''s no excuse for that. I''ve been in that store many, many times- I always try stuff on (when they aren''t handling a potential sell) and they know I don''t have any intention to buy- I''ve always gotten the attitude that they were excited to talk about and let ppl try on stuff who were excited about the pieces as they were. I have no idea the names of the SA''s I''ve encountered and idk what was up with that SA, but there really is no excuse. And I''ll bet apart from contacting whoever''s in charge, I will bet Disneyland would not be to pleased with the non-Disney attitude exhibited in their park.

Unfortunately, I see that attitude everywhere. That and incompetence. I mean come on... shouldn''t a SA KNOW something about what they are selling?! Should they have a ''tude because you have requested they do something that is part of their job? And worse, the boss who allows it to continue. If I were their boss, I would give them the chance to change and if they didn''t, they''re fired.

I went to a hair salon with a gift certificate. When I went to use it, they said it was a receipt, not a certificate. The lady at the front desk gave me such an attitude and accused me of trying to get free services. I was furious!
29.gif
On top of that, I didn''t like the haircut (the girl I had been going to wasn''t there).
38.gif
The guy who sold my FF the certificate remembered him and so I got a message on my phone, "Sorry about the confusion. You can pick up another gift certificate or your money." OH, so they are gonna give me back MY money?! How generous lol. Well, I wrote a letter to the manager and got NO response. They don''t care to respond to a regular customer who regular spends money there, then I don''t care to be a customer anymore. My mom had experience rudeness there too. So, we (my family and friends and anyone I would have recommended) don''t go there for anything... no smoothies in the cafe, no products, no haircuts, no micro-dermabrasion.. nothin'' lol. 3 years and I''m still mad lol.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Call Dianne's boss.

No one should be made to feel inferior, even if they are
27.gif
especially with jewelry. Salespeople should be encouraged when they find someone who knows what they're talking about, there are so many who don't
20.gif
and need the whole top to bottom explaination (like FH tehe
11.gif
).

I'm an avid reef hobbiest in the industry and until recently (layoff, stupid economy) I had to deal with a lot of people who thought they knew what they were talking about when they obviously did not. When you try to correct them, they flip out on you. But I never once tried to make someone feel like an idiot just because they originally got the wrong information. The customer is NOT always right, but that doesn't mean they should be made to feel embarrassed on purpose! Some salespeople are useless for info, but they definitely shouldn't be in some industries, like diamonds!!
29.gif
She needs to be put in her place! Think of the poor chump who's dishing out ten grand for a "flawless" diamond!
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results