shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby quality assessment needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hello to all ruby experts and enthusiasts,

May I ask your opinion on the 3.8 ct ruby shown in the 3 pictures below? Does it look like a heated (H or Ha or TE1) or an unheated stone? Given the quality seen in these pictures, how much should this stone''s whole sale''s price be?

Thank you very much!

Ruby2zHU.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
2ND.

ruby3zHU.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Can''t tell from pics if the stone is heated

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
If the stone was heated, wouldn''t the silk line in the second picture have been "dissolved" then?

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 12:45:58 AM
Author: amethystguy
Can''t tell from pics if the stone is heated
Ditto.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see anything in the second pic..pic quality would have to get much better....new low level heat treatments under 900-1000C make it difficult to determine if it''s been heated or not..Do you know if it''s rutile or not or are you assuming it is?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am assuming the white lines to be silk, not sure if it is rutile...
How much to do you think a fair wholesale price is for this stone alone? Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 11:55:53 PM
Author:zhuzhu
Hello to all ruby experts and enthusiasts,

May I ask your opinion on the 3.8 ct ruby shown in the 3 pictures below? Does it look like a heated (H or Ha or TE1) or an unheated stone? Given the quality seen in these pictures, how much should this stone''s whole sale''s price be?

Thank you very much!
You really can''t tell from a photo if a ruby has undergone some treatment. It needs to be examined by a competent gemologist who specializes in that colored stone species. I can tell you that if the photo is correct, the color leaves much to be desired. However, photographs are often highly misrepresentative of color as well.

Origin also comes into play with rubies, as well as UV fluorescence. Rubies are one of the most complex stones to evaluate for value, so you really need to have a professional see it in person.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ruby, purchased last year, and it is far smaller than the one you are looking at, but I would consider even my small stone a major purchase.
Is this something you own, or are interested in owning?
Either way, I guess my suggestion here is going to be the same:
First:
My stone came with a certificate from Swisslab. This is a good certificate; Richard Sherwood told me so.
I would not make a purchase this major unless the certificate came with the stone. If I owned the stone, I would send it off to them for answers.
Second:
After I purchased the stone, I sent it off to Richard Sherwood for an appraisal. As the other posters said, there is little that can be determined with a photograph.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 6:21:21 AM
Author: Pink Tower
I have a ruby, purchased last year, and it is far smaller than the one you are looking at, but I would consider even my small stone a major purchase.
Is this something you own, or are interested in owning?
Either way, I guess my suggestion here is going to be the same:
First:
My stone came with a certificate from Swisslab. This is a good certificate; Richard Sherwood told me so.
I would not make a purchase this major unless the certificate came with the stone. If I owned the stone, I would send it off to them for answers.
Second:
After I purchased the stone, I sent it off to Richard Sherwood for an appraisal. As the other posters said, there is little that can be determined with a photograph.
I would never buy an expensive or potentially valuable ruby without obtaining a reputable gem lab report accompanying it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zhu,
Is the stone yours or are you considering it? With rubies, there are other treatments, including filling, to worry about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures do not tell much; all I can see is that the colour doesn’t appear that great (at least in those pictures) and there is no way to be able to tell if it has been heated or not. Not to mention having absolutely no idea if it has been fracture filled either. I presume it doesn’t come with a lab memo?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thank you lovelies!

I will have better pictures to show in a few days. Please wait for me! (wave wave wave)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zhuzhu - have you seen the Ruby in real life? The colour looks very flat and not lively and the stone looks almost opaque rather than clear (could be the photos though).

Unfortunately Rubies are routinely treated, heated, fissure filled, filled with lead/glass, treated with BE etc etc etc., the list goes on and on. You can't tell diddly squat from photos other than whether it's a nice colour and the clarity (and even then photos lie!!!!). The ONLY way to be sure is (a) send to a gemologist and even then what they can tell is limited without testing and (b) send to a Lab to put the gem through its paces (recommended).

If the Ruby is one you're considering and doesn't cost too much it's worth getting for a look if you like it. Just bear in mind that natural untreated (or only heated) Rubies are very expensive. A 3.8ct untreated Ruby (certified) would cost you lots and lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask each of you:

What is the maximum dollar amount you will pay for this ruby? Just by looking at these pics and know nothing more than the ct weigh?

Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 3:21:13 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Can I ask each of you:

What is the maximum dollar amount you will pay for this ruby? Just by looking at these pics and know nothing more than the ct weigh?

Thanks!
For me this is impossible to answer because it would depend on treatment and certification. Sorry, I realise that''s not helpfull.

Search on a few websites for untreated Rubies and you''ll see the eyewatering prices. Treated rubies are much much much less in price but it depends on the treatment(s) that have been applied.

The range between untreated and treated is immense I''m afraid. For example, for a Ruby that size that''s unheated you''re talking a 5 figure sum (at least). For treated it could be anything fro $10 per carat upwards.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 3:21:13 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Can I ask each of you:

Thanks!
It is impossible to answer your question without knowing more about the stone. There is a huge price difference for different levels of treatment and nuances of colour. I will never buy any ruby without it being contingent on a reputable lab memo proving that it is indeed what it is being advertised as (unless it comes from a reputable cutter who knows his/her source).

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
The ring I had asked you about arrived and I have posted pictures of it in this thread:

Zhuzhu''s ruby ring

I feel really lucky because I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results