shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Engagement Eing

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not try talking to Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems in Sydney? He often has black spinels and many other colored gems and fancy coloured diamonds.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
snootyfox|1441582762|3924459 said:
carmen1|1441277353|3922993 said:

The seller has just posted a few more photos - what do you think? I find it a beautiful colour.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/1-dot-13ct-gia-fancy-gray-diamond

Although it may not be eye clean, it is (in my opinion) much nicer than the diamonds your jeweler has shown you, and I think it is being sold at a great price. I personally quite like the color, and I think it fits with the rustic/unique style you are going for.

For sake of comparison, here is a Fancy Dark Grey I1 diamond on sale at a significantly higher price: http://www.leibish.com/gray-diamonds/101ct-fancy-dark-gray-round-i1-17653-5929.

snootyfox

Rough_Rock
I agree with you guys. It might not be as dark as I had hoped, but it is a great colour and a lot cheaper than the others, especially compared to Lebish.

mochiko42 said:
Why not try talking to Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems in Sydney? He often has black spinels and many other colored gems and fancy coloured diamonds.

Thank you! What a great find. I have emailed him now.

snootyfox

Rough_Rock
Hey guys!

A little update. I got in contact with a broker here in Australia who is helping to source a stone for me.

He came back with this grey diamond that, to me, looks just beautiful. I have attached below a rough sketch of the ring setting I had in mind, and also the photos of the diamond.

ring-concept.jpg

Dimensions: 6.72 – 6.77 x 4.13 mm
Price: $3,000 AUD (about $2,200 USD at the current (terrible) rate)

1_416.jpg

2_223.jpg

3_164.jpg

4_96.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that color better. I think it's much nicer than the stones you started out looking at. (ETA: I was referring to the black stones you posted, not the rubies) How does the stone look to you in person? Does it sparkle and wow you? Can you see the inclusions?

snootyfox

Rough_Rock
Stone Hunter said:
I like that color better. I think it's much nicer than the stones you started out looking at. (ETA: I was referring to the black stones you posted, not the rubies) How does the stone look to you in person? Does it sparkle and wow you? Can you see the inclusions?

I haven't had a chance to see it in person (it's intersate) but I do trust the fella who found it. I am chatting to him later today where I can get some more info.

I agree - I love the depth it has over the straight black.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
snootyfox|1442459173|3928680 said:
Hey guys!

A little update. I got in contact with a broker here in Australia who is helping to source a stone for me.

He came back with this grey diamond that, to me, looks just beautiful. I have attached below a rough sketch of the ring setting I had in mind, and also the photos of the diamond.

ring-concept.jpg

Dimensions: 6.72 – 6.77 x 4.13 mm
Price: $3,000 AUD (about $2,200 USD at the current (terrible) rate)

1_416.jpg

2_223.jpg

3_164.jpg

4_96.jpg

I may be confused but I see two different stones. Did you choose the round or the oval? I do like the simple, organic setting.

snootyfox

Rough_Rock
LisaRN|1442464101|3928710 said:
I may be confused but I see two different stones. Did you choose the round or the oval? I do like the simple, organic setting.

I believe it has just been photographed on a different angle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much nicer stone that you were initially considering. Looks well cut to boot. Congrats on everything coming along together. :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is gorgeous. Have you seen it in person yet? I have a grey diamond and the fire from it is every colour you could think of so they can look really special.

Just something for you to consider when having the ring made - don't forget it will need to sit next to a wedding band so think about how the two will go together.

Looking forward to seeing the final ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this!!

snootyfox

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, and above all thanks for all the help!

The deposit is down and we're talking about the setting design. I'm pretty adamant about 18ct yellow gold, but the ring maker suggested thinking long and hard about white or rose gold - In my head I felt the yellow would have worked best against the dark greys.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only other color I'd consider is rose. I would not use white.

I agree that yellow looks great.and if all her jewelry is (or mostly is) yellow gold I'd stick with that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1442572891|3929146 said:
The only other color I'd consider is rose. I would not use white.
I agree that yellow looks great.and if all her jewelry is (or mostly is) yellow gold I'd stick with that.

I think white will provide too much contrast for that diamond's colour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results