shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubellite Tourmaline question

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Gene, from Precision Gem had this gorgeous glowing rubellite tourmaline up for sale recently.

img_1075_0.jpg

img_1074.jpg

I am seriously crazy over that color (and the price was good). I did try for it but, sadly, someone else beat me to the punch (tears were had ;( ).
I've been looking but I can't find anything like it in my price range.
So I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything similar out there (both color and price).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
own a few stones like that, and I can tell you that color, although highly included, is exceedingly rare, and I bought them ten years ago I think. My stones are from a tiny Nigerian deposit, so maybe search for Nigerian rubellite. Was Gene's stone Nigerian as well?

ETA: I see it's also Nigerian like mine, perhaps a one source color???

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, his stone was included and Nigerian too...but that color!!! :naughty:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got a small one at .96ct. I think it is reasonably priced and it is true you could hardly find them anymore in reasonable sizes like 2 carats or so. I chose in a lot and there was a checkerboard cushion on the reddish side, very beautiful stone as well but in the end chose the hot pink stone. There are some small melees that could be available but that's it. Very beautiful stones. Gives the Jedi spinels a competition for fraction of the cost. Cross your fingers that some sellers might have some stock and put them out for Tucson. :)

image_1386.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seaglow, I saw that one on your thread. It's a gorgeous hot pink. Love it! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1485541916|4120720 said:
Yes, his stone was included and Nigerian too...but that color!!! :naughty:
So you know, it goes more pink in daylight. Here's one of mine, 2.5 cts, it's included, but the color is very intense. It goes hot red pink in incandescent light. The color is so intense, it almost looks fake, except for the inclusions. These stones have blue flashes. I hope you get one!! Good luck!

My three stones were from a guy who no longer precision cuts. Is Gene out of material?

img_14718.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
That ring is gorgeous! :drool: I love the color variation from hot pink to red pink.
I did reach out to Gene so we will see how that goes. I'm putting it on my wish list for this year so fingers crossed. :D

S

SparkliesLuver

I think Brad (The Gem Trader) has had a couple in the past. Maybe email him?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver, thank you for the advice. I have sent an email to Brad too.

Thanks for the link too. It's a pretty color but I really don't like the checkered cut (I have no idea why, but that cut is always off putting for me :roll: ). Nevertheless, thanks for posting a link...I really appreciate it. :D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1485544684|4120736 said:
TL,
That ring is gorgeous! :drool: I love the color variation from hot pink to red pink.
I did reach out to Gene so we will see how that goes. I'm putting it on my wish list for this year so fingers crossed. :D
Thank you!! I've been collecting tourmaline forever. Btw, here's my 1 carat six mm stone. It's my reddest and eyeckean, but it gives you an idea if the variation in color.

img_14721.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, You're killing me with that color (but what a lovely way to go :lol: ). That is so freaking gorgeous!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman, thank you. I'm adding it to my watch list so I check check it out on my computer later (instead of tiny phone pics :D ).

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I had begun to believe that material could not be found anywhere. Glad to see its around as I was puzzled to see a maroon colored stone now being called rubelite tourmaline.

I too, bought my two stones 13 yrs ago. One is 3.25 cts in an emerald cut and the other 2.20 ctw in an oval. Beautiful color.
I am happy I have them and when I no longer saw any, I put them in my safe deposit box.

So keep looking for that color. Good Luck

Annette

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on this one? The seller indicates that it is a little lighter hot pink in person.

img_1134.jpg
img_1135.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a nice color without extinction but maybe ask the vendor to check it out in different lighting?

If the price isn't much and it doesn't appear that the color is a bit washed out on some lighting, I think it's a nice stone. But if you are patient, the glowy/neony hot pink or reddish pink will be my bet! The Tucson show is around the corner, you can ask maybe some resellers/US-based vendors to hunt for you? Many would surely be in Tucson! It might be worth the wait. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd see if they could capture more of what they see with the eye in a picture. Or if you're able to get it and see it in person, and the return policy is good, then I say go for it. The Tucson mention is also a good one. :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seaglow and SparkliesLuver, thanks for your input.
I have sent out messages to both Gene and Brad so I will wait to see what happens there.
Wish me luck. :D

S

SparkliesLuver

elle_71125 said:
Seaglow and SparkliesLuver, thanks for your input.
I have sent out messages to both Gene and Brad so I will wait to see what happens there.
Wish me luck. :D

Sure thing! My fingers are definitely crossed for you!

(Side note: would you mind sharing the vendor from the last picture you posted? I'm not interested in that stone, so don't worry. ;-) I just like to learn of new vendors to peruse. Thank you!)

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah, okay. Understand! Thank you for sharing though. :)

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I saw the Litnon stone in person, and it does look colorwise like the photo. It seemed too long and narrow for me though so I returned it. A lot of these red-hot pink tourmalines seem to be thin and long, maybe because of the original crystal shape?

There is an almost perfectly matching stone to the Litnon on Yvonne Raley's site as well.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1485962056|4122850 said:

sparkliesLuver, those two from Africa Gems are beautiful. So bright. I'll admit I'm drawn to the oval most but the color on the round is so good too. :lickout: Ooh...he's having a sale too. :dance:

Desertrose, thanks for your imput on the linton stone. The color is gorgeous but I usually avoid long pear shapes for that reason. My husband already jokes that I have "crypt keeper" fingers because they are long and thin. I don't need any stone that enhances that look... :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1488376480|4135165 said:
Not sure if you're still looking, but saw this and thought of you:

http://gemartservices.com/stones.php?id=tou018

I am still looking so thank you. I had seen that one before and I don't know why but I thought that it was the one OTL had returned because it had a bow tie (it wasn't...I need to pay more attention to details :shock: ).

I just picked it up so we will see how it looks in person.

Also, Gene did get back to me and he has some more material so he agreed to cut me a piece. Yay!!! :dance: Now I just have to be patient and wait. :cry:

S

SparkliesLuver

Sure thing. Oh, okay; yeah, I could see how they're similar. I just know he's working through an estate lot so there will be more to come too. ;-)

Cool!

That's super awesome! I'd love to see what the original one you posted looks like in-hand. Keep us posted, please!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results