shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubbing alcohol for cleaning the rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 1:23:25 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Not sure if this will help. Spend about 6- 8 hours a week in a pool- mine or yearround in the YMCA public heavily chorinated pool doing laps. Wore my yellow gold plat head solitaire for over 6 years every swim. I was lucky I guess. No damage. Jeweler examined it. This is one of those stock settings that jewelers offer. Cheapo.

While you are on a week or two on vacation or trip...the pool dive is not going to attack your ring in that short of time. I would think more than twice about leaving it behind...in room, safe or hidden somewhere. My mothers
emangel.gif
motto is you can''t loose it if you don''t take it off. I wouldn''t worry. Call your jeweler and get his response.
emwink.gif

DKS
I wore my yellow gold band in the water also for years w/ no problem.... it isn''t the GOLD that is vulnerable, it is specifically the nickle and copper.... mostly the nickel.... so if you have paladium white gold you should be fine.... your yellow gold and plat ring should be fine.... but I wanted a nickel white gold ring for the yummy creamy white color and you still might be able to get away with it for a *band* but for prongs it is highly discouraged.

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 10:13:01 AM
Author: Mandarine
Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!! All good tips!!!

I cleaned it last night with a bit of dish soap and it''s sparkling like crazy today!. I didn''t find alcohol at home (other than the kind Ellen''s emoticon is shaking! hehe)...so I have to go to the store and get some.

5.gif

M~

Manderine,

The cloth is called a "red rouge polishing cloth" It uses some of the same compounds that jewelers use at the bench to make jewelry shine. Here are some links I found with an example of the cloth for sale:

this is exactly what I use

red rouge cloth

rougecloth.jpg

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 12:16:12 AM
Author: sunshine14
I know that Mark T from ERD always recommends using alcohol...I think he says to use a q-tip, dip it in the alcohol,and rub it on the diamond...

He used to work for GIA and that was their preferred method. I think a few ERD ring people have written about it in the past...let me see what i can find!
Yep! Mark told me to use alcohol. I don''t know why to use a q-tip versus just dunking the ring, though. I will admit I haven''t done this yet. Makes sense it will dry with no residue so I''ll probably try today.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results