carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 6:45:12 AM
Author: Imdanny
There were so many rumors about Edward's private life. I am glad that he put them all to rest when he got married.

I have a question for the forum. Why does Camilla wear so many pieces that Diana never wore? Just what is the meaning behind that?

Is that because older royal women always wear bigger pieces? Is it because Diana did not want to wear the pieces Camilla wears? Is it because the Queen did not allow Diana to wear certain pieces?

I have thought about this quite a lot and have thought of no satisfactory answer.

Thank you.

That's an interesting question, Imdanny! I've asked myself the same question many times.

If you look at pictures of Camilla you'll see that most of the pieces were previously in possession of the late Queen Mother. Such jewels are: The Boucheron Honeycomb tiara, the 5 row diamond necklace, the diamond riviera and a great amount of brooches. When the Queen Mum passed, the current Queen got the bulk(if not all) including her mother's private jewels. It's strange that the Queen gave the Duchess these peaces when we know that the Queen Mother didn't like Camilla at all.

The Delhi Durbar tiara is one of the other jewels worn by the Duchess of Cornwall. It was created for Qween Mary to wear it at the Delhi Durbar.

Most of those peaces are really big (specialy the tiaras) and IMO aren't easy to wear and as you suggested they look better wen worn by an older woman. The late Princess of Wales prefered more simple peaces, she also had 2 tiaras, and some big and fine sapphires. We don't have to forget that unlike her rival, Princess Diana wasn't fond of brooches.

Whatever the reason is both women look great in what they have/were loaned.

P.S. I remember reading in another forum that Mrs. Greville was a godparent of Camilla's mother so maybe that's why she got her jewels (The Boucheron Honeycomb tiara and the 5 row diamond necklace).

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:57:59 AM
Author: shadowed_rain
Long time watcher, first time poster
1.gif

Several threads back, someone mentioned that Sophie, Countess of Wessex, was sporting a new tiara with a fabulous emerald centerpiece. On here, they suggest that the tiara may be one of Queen Mary''s old tiaras. That would be rather fantastic, because it would indicate that a.) the Queen has been rummaging in the vaults, and b.) that Sophie''s finally starting to get some more jewelry.

For those of you who are into the history and the sparkle of the Swedish royal family, this website is fantastic. Yes, it''s in Swedish, but it''s pretty self-explanatory and has pictures that will easily dazzle the senses
18.gif

Hi, shadowed rain!
I have always wondered why doesn''t Sophie Wessex wear more serious jewels. She is a charming woman and jewellery looks very good on her. There are 3 tiaras that she has worn so far. Her wedding tiara, a tiara/necklace with a magnificent big aquamarine center and a smaller flower tiara.
I can not recall of a emrald tiara, worn by the Countess. May be they thought that the aqua is an emerald?
Is it the same tiara?

sopphie_aqua_tara.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi again!

Here''s a new diamond necklace from The Duchess of Cornwall. Does anyone have any information about it? Is it a gift or a loan? What''s the occasion?

84007840.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Augh, brain fart. Yes, Prince, that''s the tiara I was referring to. I meant aquamarine and my fingers typed emerald. The aquamarine tiara (also converted into a necklace) is the most recent tiara she''s been given, as far as I''m aware. Not sure if I''ve seen her wearing the tiara of flowers. Do you have a picture of her wearing it, or can you recall a picture being posted here in previous pages? I hope Sophie eventually gets some more royal jewelry, although I understand why QEII has refrained from doing so (thanks, Queen Mary). Some new jewelry for her, perhaps.

That''s quite the necklace on Camilla. I''ve never seen this necklace, so perhaps it''s a gift from Charles or another country/organization? Dazzling nonetheless!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here's a picture of Sophie Wessex with the button/ floral tiara. It can be one of the jewels princess Alice of Bettenberg gave Prince Philip. There are at least two tiaras she gave him - The Greek key (Meander) tiara & the one that was broken in order to create HM's ering and diamond bracelet. Opinions??
Here's another picture (same occasion)

WessexButtonTiara.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Prince.

OT question: does anyone know why Anne (beautiful picture) didn''t give her children titles?

What? She''s got a million titles, and her children have none? I just never liked that. Thanks.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 1:02:10 AM
Author: Imdanny
Thanks, Prince.

OT question: does anyone know why Anne (beautiful picture) didn''t give her children titles?

What? She''s got a million titles, and her children have none? I just never liked that. Thanks.

She wanted to shield her children from the publicity that the titles would bring. Plus, I think she has no right to transmit princely status to her children.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Apparently she has the right not to.

I did some googling research.

Anne almost didn't have a royal title herself.

"Anne's great-grandfather, King George V, the titles of a British prince or princess, and the style Royal Highness, were only to be conferred on male-line children and grandchildren of the sovereign, as well as the children of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. However, on 22 October 1948, George VI issued new letters patent granting these honours to any children of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip; otherwise, Anne would have merely have been titled by courtesy as Lady Anne Mountbatten. In this way, the children of the heiress presumptive had a Royal and Princely status (Princess Margaret would not marry till 1960)."

As to Anne's son (from his page):

"Peter Phillips was born at 10:46am on 15 November 1977 at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington in West London.[1] He was the first child of Mark Phillips and The Princess Anne, who had married in 1973.[1] His parents were said to have refused offers from The Queen that would have led to his being born in the Peerage. Phillips was therefore the first legitimate grandchild of a monarch to be born a commoner, having not even a courtesy style, for more than 500 years,[1] before him the last before commoners were the children of Cecily of York, the daughter of Edward IV. At birth he was fifth in line to the Throne, and remained so until Prince William's birth in 1982."

He is in the line of succession, just no title. The first legitamate grandchild of a monarch to be born a commoner, having not even a courtesy style, for more than 500 years.

Well, I don't think that's fair to him. Oh, well.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Luckenbooth!!! I don''t know if anyone has mentioned it before but LadyA''s avatar and the other aimilar pictures posted look like they come from (or even ARE) the Scottish "Luckenbooth".

Here is some info from Wikipedia:
"The Luckenbooth Brooch is a traditional Scottish wedding brooch given to the bride by the groom on their wedding day, and subsequently pinned to the shawl of the first baby to protect it from "evil spirits". By the 18th century it had also became a common decorative symbol in Native American costume.

The Luckenbooth has figures very similar to the Claddagh Ring, and a similar purpose of being a love token. The luckenbooth charm also continues the traditional theme of heart and crown. The earliest records of heart-shaped brooches in Scotland date back to 1503. In the 18th Century, these brooches were often known as ''Luckenbooth'' brooches because they were sold from locked booths in the jewellery quarter of St. Giles.

By the mid 18th century luckenbooth tokens also featured heavily as English trade silver items to the native peoples of the eastern woodlands, particularly the Iroquois of the Six Nations. As a result, luckenbooth brooches also became a common decorative symbol in 18th and early 19th century native clothing.

Another legend of the luckenbooth is that it was a symbol of love and devotion, which Mary Queen of Scots is said to have given to Lord Darnley. It has the St. Andrew Cross, the Scottish Thistles, and Entwined Hearts."

And a picture of a luckenbooth...

lucken.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok everyone! here i am! and royal jewels, here we go! the following are the photos i promised to everyone of the new royal crown ring (my ring) that was custom made for me..it is an exact reproduction of a royal ring from the year 1962...now, i''m not sure who''s it was..i''ll have to do some digging to find that out..but i''m very excited! this ring is currently on it''s way to my hot little hands right now..these are pictures from my jeweler...my ''royal jeweler''! lol...the original has been posted on this thread a while ago, i put it up along with a few other royal crown rings..but if anybody wishes to see them again, i''ll repost..but this one is a great reproduction custom job and looks just like the original...
loves jenna:)

mycrowcollag2e.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, here for reference is the original. and the info that goes along with it so far as i have found to this point....
''18K White gold royal diamond ring is set with an antique heart shaped diamond which is bezel set and topped with a diamond set crown. This ring bears hallmarks for Stockholm, Sweden, 1962.The Diamonds are described as follows:One Antique Heart Shaped DiamondWeight: 1.00 caratColor: JClarity: SI1Twenty Round Cut DiamondsWeight: .10 carat total weightColor: I-JClarity: SI ''
there you have it! wait i have one more pic..i''ll post it next..:)

riri825.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
original royal ring..

rrri825a.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and jenna''s ring..the two pics to the bottom right, show the setting prior to the stones being set, just in case you look and wonder...:)
loves jenna

crownringcomplet2e.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Good night royal jewelery lovers!

I have always admired the Spanish royals'' jewels! Thew certainty have great piaces (some with a lot of historical value). Of cours the best are in HM''s hands, some came from from state presents but the best were inherited from Queen Ena.

Here is an official portrait of QSophia that is IMO one of her best. The tiara (prev. set with emeralds) and the brooch are from Victoria Eugenia as probably the large pearl necklace & drop (Doesn''t it remind you of Wallis Windsor''s). The clip brooches and diamond bracelets look nice, too.

sofialspainlpearls.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And a picure of HRH The Princess of Asturias wearing the wedding tiara(Greek RF hairloom jewel) and long emrald & diamond earrings(there is also a matching necklace). This is probably one of the princess''s latest photographs. On 9 Feb. 2009 in Madrid the princess ant the other Spanish royals attended a Gala Dinner for Argentine''s President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.

84716267.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, let''s have some fun with some royal jewel history....here is the blurb that accompanies this picture...
Italian News - February 14

Priceless jewels which once belonged to Italy''s royal family could soon emerge from the dusty vault where the Bank of Italy has kept them for nearly 60 years.

The ''Savoy Treasure'' consists of regal jewelry encrusted with thousands of pearls, diamonds and other precious stones, some of which date back to the early 19th century. It includes a double string of diamonds which contains 1,859 diamonds and forms the Savoy House''s ancient knot symbol. There is also a ten-string pearl necklace containing 684 pearls given by King Umberto I (1878-1900) to his consort Queen Margherita and a famous pink diamond which once belonged to a Sicilian ally of Napoleon.

Central bank governor Mario Draghi said the ''treasure'' of the House of Savoy could be brought out and perhaps put on display as soon as a few unresolved legal problems were attended to. Draghi suggested that the Culture Ministry and the premier''s office look at the question in order to overcome what he called the "legal limitations weighing on the deposit".

The chestful of jewels was placed in the Bank of Italy in 1946 when Italy''s last king, Umberto II, left the country in the wake of a referendum which abolished the monarchy. The dethroned monarch entrusted the treasure to the bank along with a note saying "To be returned to the rightful owner." There has been debate over whether he meant his own family or the Italian people.

royyyyyalj.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
here is another of our crown rings..this one is from the year about 1800...and that is all i could find on it. i''ve never seen it before..

3124.1E.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, there is a newish book that we all should grab..it''s from the royals collection and it is called ''Ancient and Modern Gems and Jewels'' i''m posting the cover here...it has this blurb about it...
A major new catalogue from Royal Collection Publications, Ancient and Modern Gems and Jewels in the Collection of Her Majesty The Queen, is published this autumn. Spanning over 2,000 years of jewellery history, it is the first comprehensive study of the cameos, intaglios, jewels and insignia in the Royal Collection from the ‘ancient’ (pre-Renaissance) and ‘modern’ (16th to 19th century) periods.

The collection was largely shaped by the tastes of Henry, Prince of Wales (1594-1612), Queen Caroline (1683-1737), consort of George II, and her grandson George III (1738-1820), and his son George IV (1762-1830). Among its highlights are the magnificent Claudius cameo (AD 43-5), which once belonged to Charles I, the great Tudor portrait cameos, and two of the most famous items in the collection, the ‘Henry VIII’ hat badge and the Darnley Jewel.

Bringing together the conclusions of two leading historians, Dr Kirsten Aschengreen Piacenti and Sir John Boardman, the catalogue presents new photography and extensive research on the history of 328 pieces. It is available from Royal Collection shops and from all good bookshops, price £95.00 (hardback).

41HvmJBW0lL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic apparantly from the book, i haven''t gotten it yet..it''s pricey. these are antique lockets in the royal collection

gj darnley.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
from the Moroccan Royal Jewels ...

jujhtgfiara.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Treasure Of Guarrazar (Royal Armoury, Madrid)

armomomMadrid.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
now here is an interesting story, the real Mohamed Ali ...this is Mohamed Ali Pasha, the egyptian royal family...more to follow

mohamed-ali-pasha-first.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
TM King Farouk and Queen Farida celebrating the King’s 23rd birthday in Abdine Saray on Feb. 11th 1943

This is a group of black and white photos depicting Egypt’s Royal Family and descendants of Mohamed Ali that ruled the country from the 19th to the mid-20th Century, precisely 1952, when King Farouk I, the last Egyptian monarch, was overthrown by the Egyptian army.

on-feb-11th-1943.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Royal Egyptian Princesses Princesses Fawzia,Faiza ,Faika and baby Fatahia

by-fatahia.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Nazli, King Farouk, Sultana Malk , the widow of Sultan Hussein Kamal , the uncle of king Farouk

hhhrouk.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Nazli attending the wedding of HRH Princess Faiza to Bulent Mohamed Ali Raouf1

i-raouf1.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
HM Queen Farida

queen-farida.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Farida and Daughters

queen-farida-and-daughters.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Princess Fawzia, Queen Farida and Princess Faiza in the Royal Opera House in 1939

dd-in-1939.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results