carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 6:36:56 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
I find The queen really charming here. What do you think? I love this necklace and the earrings. They look simple but magnificent. Even the tiara (that I don''t like so much) looks great
1.gif

This tiara was commissioned by QEII in the early 70''s. The rubies were a coronation gift from Burma. I read that there are 96 rubies in this tiara, as the number 96 is supposed to give good luck and ward off evil spirits according to Burmese lore.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And some more ruby jewels, but now from Queen Anne-Marie of Greece''s trove

annem.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think HM QEII is the epitome of class and dignity. She looks great when she's either wearing a plain head scarf or draped in jewels. Really lovely. Famed photographer Annie Leibowitz just took some recent pics of her in her royal regalia. Need to find that and post it. The pictures were awesome.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/6/2008 5:54:57 PM
Well I like talking about Liz Taylor and her jewels, but the forum is called Royal jewels so let''s discus he royal baubles
2.gif

Today while I was searching for HM''s photos I found her official portrait as Queen of Canada. She is wearing a gorgeous Sapphire & diamond demi parure - gift the late Sheikh Rashid of Dubai and the kokoshnik tiara.
Diana wore that tiara on many occassions and in some very famous black and white photographs. I have not seen it on HM though. Thanks for that find.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 6:42:53 PM
Author: LadyMaria
WOW!!!! I've been so busy these first six weeks of the school year that I hadn't realized how long it had been since I checked in here. There are some FAAAAAB-ULOUS pictures posted here recently! That ring to QEI is amazing!

So nice you're back here Lady Maria. I'm busy with school too, but I'm trying to find some time and post
1.gif

Hope you'll start posting as soon as possible.
P.S. Are you wearing your Tiara?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a photo of HM with the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace, the Kensington(I think) bow brooch and the Vladimir tiara without the emeralds or the pearls. What do you think, how do you preffer it? I like it the most with the Cambridge emeralds. It looks empty like this
40.gif

560747.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thesapphire and diamond necklace again but with the sapphire tiara. They look good together

Insight_nov05_gallery_dip1_large.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Frederica of Hanover, Queen Consort of Greece wearing the ruby parure

ruby-2.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It''s not common to see a stomacher today, but the queen wore her grandmother''s soon. I don''t know of any previous wearings of the stomacher so I consider this is the only time she wore this jewel.

UT0116188.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 5:49:19 PM
I know that The Queen mother didn''t like at all Camilla and that it wasn''t a good idea Charles to give her the ring his grannie was aworded for the birth of thå present queen, but I think the duchess looks great with queen mum''s jewels.
On the picture on p.62 Bloody Mary is wearing a brooch/pin with a pearl. Isn''t this La Peregrina Pearl?
Not actually so - they got on extremely well. Camilla is far more suited to the Royal Family than Diana ever was and she and the Queen Mother had much in common.

Diana had no idea how to behave properly and had no brains.

I think it''s wonderful that Charles was finally able to marry the woman he always wanted to and who he was always in love with. She will make a great Queen.

One interesting thing about our Crown Jewels is that a lot of the stones that you see when you look at them in the Tower of London are not real, but either paste or rock crystal.

If a piece is needed for an important event like a coronation, real stones are hired in for the occasion and then unset afterwards!

I go to see them quite often, but I''m so not a fan of the new walkway - It was so much better when you could get a really good look. I have been occasionally when there are very few visitors and the guards have turned the conveyor belt off for me so I can have a proper oggle!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 6:44:57 PM
And some more ruby jewels, but now from Queen Anne-Marie of Greece''s trove

WOW!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
OMG!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
i thought i''d air brush this pic for you so it wasn''t so distracting with the copywriting in it..it''s not perfect but a bit less of a distraction to see words across her face!
jenna:)

5ll60747.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
some nice shots of our princess diana

dianaDM2705_468x1080.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
these shots i hadn''t seen before...

dibbc557.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
now diana loved her pearls, this gown she called her ''elvis dress''....!

princess-diana-pearl-dress-full-view.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
the gown is all encrusted with pearls btw...forgot to add that..:)

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
a neat one of the queen

queen_elizabeth_11.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
now, here''s something you just don''t normally see...men with pearls!!!! lol...
these guys are: on the right Prince of Pearls
Late Rana of Dholphur in Pearl Regalia
on the left Maharajah of Patiala
and in the middle gaikwar Baroda of Pearls...

baroda-pearls.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Crown of St. Edward
Official crown of England

crown-of-st.-edward.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
And a crown from Persia, modern day Iran. Iran has enormous masses of pearls in its treasury.

50994.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Miter of Patriarach Nixon

miter-of-patriarach-nixon.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Elizabeth I, awarded many of her soldiers with pendants with pearls as this one given to Sir Francis Drake.

sir-francis-drake-jewel.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 9:54:34 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
so, here''s a fun thing..have a peek at all the different ways they could have done this piece, then let us all know which you would have preferred! fun!
jenna:)
I like the third one and the fourth one. If I were going to wear one I would take #4 as it is the simplest. These redesigns look much better than the original!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/6/2008 8:51:56 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
And a crown from Persia, modern day Iran. Iran has enormous masses of pearls in its treasury.
That looks a great deal like the early 16th century Russian Czar crowns.

Ivan the Terrible crown

ivan_crown.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The "Iranian Yellows"
These African diamonds were acquired by Nasseridin Shah on his third trip to Europe in 1889, and are collectively known as the "Iranian Yellows."

There are a number of collections of large diamonds on display in the treasury, however due to security concerns, the largest of the diamonds in the collection are not pictured here.

The largest diamond shown here is 135 cts., while the largest loose diamond in this particular collection is 152 cts. Three other diamonds shown here are 120 cts. each.

15_iranian_yellow.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Jewel-Studded Globe
The most magnificent globe in existence, it has a total height of 110 cm. and a diameter of 45 cm. and is covered with over 51 thousand gemstones. The seas and oceans are shown with emeralds. Land masses are mostly displayed in rubies and spinels. Iran, Britain, France, and parts of South Asia are shown in diamonds. The base is constructed of wood, covered with a layer of gold. Approximately 35 kilograms of pure gold is used in the globe.

According to legend, Nasseridin Shah (1848-1896) ordered the construction of the globe to help keep track of the loose gemstones in the treasury.

The largest ruby used in the globe is approximately 75 ct. The largest spinel is approximately 110 cts. The largest emerald is approximately 175 cts., the largest sapphire is approximately 34 cts, and the largest diamond is approximately 15 cts.

01_globe.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The Pahlavi Crown
This crown was used by Reza Shah, the founder of the Pahlavi dynasty, in his coronation on 25 April 1926. His son, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, the last Shah of Iran, also used the crown in his coronation on 26 Oct. 1967.

The crown was designed and built by a group of Iranian jewellers, under the supervision of Haj Serajeddin, the famous jeweller who had been in the employ of the Amir of Bokhara and had later emigrated from the Soviet Union to Iran. The stones were selected from loose stones in the treasury.

The crown made of red velvet, gold, and silver. It has a total height of 29.8 cm. and has a width of 19.8 cm. It weighs 2,080 grams. The are 3,380 diamonds employed on the crown, totalling 1,144 cts. The largest is a brilliant-cut yellow diamond of 60 cts. which is located in the center of the front jewel sunburst. There are also 369 perfectly-matching natural pearls in three rows on the crown. Of the 5 emeralds, totalling 200 cts., the largest is approximately 100 cts. The largest sapphire is 20 cts.

The design of the crown incorporates a motif of the Sassanid dynasty, which ruled over the Persian Empire from the 3rd through the 7th centuries AD.

03_pahlavi_crown.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Kiani Crown
The Kiani Crown was used during the Qajar dynasty. Reza Shah, the founder of the Pahlavi dynasty, had his own crown designed but the Kiani crown was present during his coronation.

The crown itself is made of red velvet which has thousands of gems set onto it. Fathali Shah is often shown in paintings wearing a similar crown - it is not known whether there were a number of crowns in use at the time which looked similar, or whether the artists simply portrayed the same crown in different ways.

The Kiani crown has about 1800 pearls sown onto it, each from 7 to 9 mm. in diameter. There are approximately 300 emeralds set on the crown, the largest of which is about 80 cts. There are also about 1800 rubies and spinels on the crown, the largest of which is 120 cts. The largest diamond is 23 cts.

The total height of the crown is 32 cm. without the aigrette, and the total width is 19.5 cm.

04_kiani_crown.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The Royal Sword
Also known as the Shahi Sword, it was a present to Nasseridin Shah from Amin-o''Sultan, his prime minister. Before his assassination, Amin-o''Sultan served in the court of a number of Kings in that capacity. However, he wasn''t as well appreciated by the common folk. Through his various posts, which included the Minister of the Interior and the Minister of the Treasury and Customs, he managed to accumulate sufficient wealth to afford such presents.

Though the picture is only of the sword''s handle and hilt, the scabbard is entirely encrusted with approximately 3000 jewels of similar quality. According to an inscription which appears on the sword, it was made in 1306 (lunar calendar) by Mirza Ali Nagi. However, the sword was not presented to the King until six years later, around 1894 or 1895 AD.

This sword was worn by Mohammad Reza Shah during his coronation in 1967.

05_royal_sword.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 8:23:20 PM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 10/3/2008 5:49:19 PM
I know that The Queen mother didn''t like at all Camilla and that it wasn''t a good idea Charles to give her the ring his grannie was aworded for the birth of thå present queen, but I think the duchess looks great with queen mum''s jewels.
On the picture on p.62 Bloody Mary is wearing a brooch/pin with a pearl. Isn''t this La Peregrina Pearl?
Not actually so - they got on extremely well. Camilla is far more suited to the Royal Family than Diana ever was and she and the Queen Mother had much in common.

Diana had no idea how to behave properly and had no brains.

I think it''s wonderful that Charles was finally able to marry the woman he always wanted to and who he was always in love with. She will make a great Queen.

One interesting thing about our Crown Jewels is that a lot of the stones that you see when you look at them in the Tower of London are not real, but either paste or rock crystal.

If a piece is needed for an important event like a coronation, real stones are hired in for the occasion and then unset afterwards!

I go to see them quite often, but I''m so not a fan of the new walkway - It was so much better when you could get a really good look. I have been occasionally when there are very few visitors and the guards have turned the conveyor belt off for me so I can have a proper oggle!
The comment about Diana is harsh and un-called for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results