clarity

Royal Jewels

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
How about a introduction round

Name; Josefine
Country, Sweden
City; Stockholm
Why royal jewllery; I always loved reading about the history of sweden, there is some "mentions" about kings sometimes about queens. I loved the history about castles and so on. I started visiting a forum later named The Royal Forums and there were a specifik forum about the jewllery in the royal families and each family, this were around 2001 at the tome pf the wedding in norway. And there i fell in love with the wedding tiara of Mette-marit. And so it started i wanted to know more about the history of these items. Who has worn them before.
Royal family jewllery section i know moust of; Sweden, i collect photos and information but have no really good system.
Royal family jewllery section i would like to know more about; i would like to know about other jewllery in differemnt royal houses, not only tiaras. Specially Luxemburg.
Webbsite i love; http://duroje.org/ - to bad there is not one for each royal house.
Favorite tiara; smal but it were love at first sight Mette-marits wedding tiara
Favorite collection of royal jewllery; Luxemburg - its so big for such a small country
Book i would like to be made, One of swedens royal jewllery - sometrhing like the one about the danish collection.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Looking at the lovely photos of Queen Sofia that Josefine posted, I started wondering (again) about the large pearl necklaces worn by Her Majesty. It is known that Queen Victoria Eugenia left her most important, historic jewels to be worn by the future Queens of Spain (regnant or consort) - the so-called Joyas de pasar - and that among them is a necklace of large pearls that had belonged to Queen Maria de las Mercedes. We also know that among Alfonso XVIII's presents to his bride was a short necklace with very large pearls (3rd photo) and a single diamond clasp. However, I'm not sure if this is the necklace that came from Doña Mercedes, or if the longer strand of even larger pearls (2nd photo) is the one in question. Does anybody here know?

file.jpg
file.jpg
8844187.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
With the luncheon and the dinner for Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee behind the corner, lets see who we know will attend:
So far confirmantions have been made by:
Norway: The King & The Queen
Denmark - The Queen & The Prince Consort
Sweden - The King & The Queen
Japan - The Emperor & The Empress
Belgium (in the words of the Emperor of Japan) - The King (and possibly The Queen)
The Nethrlands - The Queen
Thailand - The Crown Prince & Princess Sirisami
Tonga - The King & The Queen
Yugoslavia (the only non-reigning House that has confirmed) - The Crown Prince & The Crown Princess

Sadly, Queen Sofia will not attend and Spain will not be represented... I'd be surprised if Henri and Maria Teresa of Luxembourg don't attend. I also expect representation from Jordan (The King & The Queen?) and the Commonwealth monarchies where Elizabeth II is not monarch. If the luncheon and the dinner won't be for current sovereigns only, then I'd expect Greece and Romania to attend as well.
Anyone else to add to the list?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The luncheon for the Diamond Jubilee, hosted by The Queen & The Fuke of Edinburgh, is now over. There were many guests (I read about 62 royals) and some pleasant surprises (for me at least).
The Queen wore the Cambridge pearl brooch with her usual pearl ensemble; The Duchess of Cambridge wore some lovely dangling (?) earrings and brooch (though lost behind that curtain of hair!), The Countess of Wessex (looking very nice) wore pearl and diamond earrings. Princess Alexandra appears to have worn her pearl choker.
From the (female) foreign guests Queen Anna Maria was perhaps the best dressed to my taste. HM wore the diamond swan brooch, her large pearl necklace, pear shaped pearls in the ears and a pearl bracelet. Sheikha Mozah was a close second in turquoise blue with matching earrings. Queen Margrethe wore two rows of pearls and the diamond and the sapphire fleur-de-lis brooch. Queen Beatrix donned a pair of modern with black stones/enamel and diamonds, also the round diamond brooch. Queen Silvia showed in one of her modern gold and diamond sets. Princess Lalla Meryem wore a modern diamond necklace. Not to forget to mention the absolutely adorable Empress of Japan in a kimono :)
Apart from King Constantine II & Queen Anna Maria, three other former monarchies were represented - Bulgaria, Romania and Yugoslavia - by Tsar Simeon II & Tsaritza Margarita, King Mihai & Princess Margarita, Crown Prince Alexander & Crown Princess Katherine. All four families have always had a close relationship with the Widsors.

Photos the guests (much more than I had mentioned) can be seen here:
The Daily Mail's article - article
Daylife's gallery

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention that Press Association and BBC were the two medias that had exclusive rights for photos so you might consider visiting this sites as well!

One more phing - As you might know, tonight The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Corwall are hosting a glittering dinner as a tribute to Elizabeth II. Photos from the dinner are going to be posted later

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The dinner at Buckingham palace is black tie and tiaras are not worn. Here is what some of the royal ladies are wearing tonight:
Empress Michiko - a single row of pearls and pearl drop earrings, also a gold brooch (overall looking very lovely :)
Queen Anna Maria - the necklace, earrings, brooch of the ruby parure and a matching bracelet
Queen Silvia - Queen Victoria's diamond collet necklace and the Vasa pendant, King Carl XIV Johan earrings and the large rectangular brooch (originally part of a pearl stomacher)
Queen Margrethe - the short version of her sapphire necklace with the large oval sapphire as pendant, diamond hair combs in the coiffure
Crown Princess Katherine - her diamond set

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Sonja - The Queen of Repeats... - the dress, head-piece and jewels from the pre-wedding at the Mandarin Oriental last year
Princess Charlene - the belle of the ball - long earrings. No close-ups so far
Queen Rania -
Princess Srirasmi wore Thai-style jewellery and dress
Princess Lalla Meryem - a set of modern diamond jewellery
Inkhosikati LaMbikiza (Swaziland) - hilarious by all accounts... she wore some sort of choker, possibly diamonds

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I love these two photos from the gala dinner:
The Princess of Wales making a gentle courtesy to the Princess of Monaco (or The Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Valentinois, if should use their secondary titles):
2.13558561.jpg
Picture by: Sean Dempsey

Two lovely ladies in nice aquamarine gowns:
2.13558661.jpg
[url.http://paimages.co.uk/prvw/2.13558661.jpg]Picture by: Sean Dempsey[/url]

More photos of Charles & Camilla greeting their guests can be seen [urlhttp://paimages.co.uk/]here[/url]. All you have to do is search for Dinner or Diamond Jubilee or something like that.

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I'm disappointed in the lack of major sparkle. I saw Margarthe's sapphires, Anne-Marie's rubies, Lalla of Morocco wore something sparkly but I can't find a good shot, same with Camilla.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone seen a picture of Queen Rania from the luncheon or the dinner? I understand she has a lower profile right now because of the some of the tension in Jordan, and was wondering if maybe she was purposely not photographed. Too bad we did not get to see more bling and tiaras.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1337441684|3199146 said:
I'm disappointed in the lack of major sparkle. I saw Margarthe's sapphires, Anne-Marie's rubies, Lalla of Morocco wore something sparkly but I can't find a good shot, same with Camilla.

Couldn't agree more BB! I really do not understand why this was not a tiara event. I mean, 60 years on the throne? The DIAMOND Jubiliee? Shouldn't everyone be dripping in diamonds to pay homage to QEII??

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
laurensmama|1337465442|3199344 said:
Has anyone seen a picture of Queen Rania from the luncheon or the dinner? I understand she has a lower profile right now because of the some of the tension in Jordan, and was wondering if maybe she was purposely not photographed. Too bad we did not get to see more bling and tiaras.

I did see one picture and she was wearing one of those optical illusion dresses that is black on the sides and white in the middle to make one look really skinny. Not that Rania really needs any help looking fit and slender. The only jewels were a pair of earrings, maybe diamond?

raniajubliee.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1337374142|3198657 said:
Inkhosikati LaMbikiza (Swaziland) - hilarious by all accounts... she wore some sort of choker, possibly diamonds

At first glance I thought she wore a skirt of 10,000 ostrich feathers dyed yellow...but upon closer inspection it is just 10,000 ruffles dyed yellow.

swazilandjubliee.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at Cartier's site, researching ring sizes, and looking at various conversion charts I found on Google tonight (you might be surprised how much conversion charts can differ because some are incomplete and many don't seem to agree with other, and various companies, Cartier is one, can have their own measurements in mm labeled various sizes that might agree with conversion charts or not, but I digress) and I found Cartier's page about warrants. I thought you all might enjoy this.

This is what it says for warrants.

"An unsealed deed granted by a
sovereign, authorizing its holder to
sell his wares at the royal court.
A warrant was also granted and still
is in countries with a monarchy - a
means of informing the public, with
the sovereign’s permission, that a
supplier worked for a royal court.
Cartier was granted warrants by the
following monarchies: Great Britain
and Spain (1904), Portugal (1905),
Russia (1907), Siam (1908), Greece
(1909), Serbia (1913), France (the
Comte de Paris, 1914), Belgium (1919), Italy (1920), Romania (1925), Egypt
(1929) and Albania (1939)."

http://www.cartier.us/#/show-me/jewelry/b4002300-wedding-band?tab=2:/guide-me/expertise-guide/glossary/certificates-hallmarks?word=6

This is what it says for archives.

"A jeweler’s archives are carefully
preserved treasures that perpetuate
an often prestigious past. Cartier’s
archives are shared between three
centers: one in Paris, one in London
and one in New York. Jealously
guarded, they are kept and consulted
according to the jeweler’s golden
rule… that of strict confidentiality.
Cartier’s archives are a methodical
and accurate record of production,
classified in accordance with a
seamless yet rigorous system.

They also bear witness to everyday life at a jewelery company. Each item of
jewelry has its pedigree, from the initial sketches to its manufacture in the jewelry
workshops to the moment of its sale. Cartier has occupied the same premises on rue
de la Paix since 1899, on the very site chosen by Alfred Cartier and his son Louis
who had recently joined the firm. This documentary heritage has lasted through the
ages, a record of virtually every piece that Cartier has created since the turn of the
century. In addition, an important collection of registers dating back to the
nineteenth century retraces Cartier’s activity at its premises on boulevard des
Italiens. Even the Second Empire, a significant era in Cartier’s history, has left its
trace. These written records are combined with a rich collection of photographs, as
each item of jewelry was photographed, life-size, before leaving the workshops.
Begun in 1906 and preserved in Paris, this collection contains some 40,000
negatives.

30,000 of these negatives are preserved on glass plates in gelatino-bromide.
Photograph albums, updated each day, captured production in a precise visual
record. The archive departments are also the guardians of a number of
manuscript documents – sketches, preparatory drawings and production drawings
– each using the highly specific technique of gouache on tracing paper. In Paris, a
collection of plaster casts from 1905 to 1915 remains a touching reminder of life
in the jewelry workshops and a unique three-dimensional record of their work."

I also learned that hallmarks in France.

"These are the marks that are stamped on a precious metal object. Their role is, for
example, to identify the maker of the object, guarantee the standard of fineness of
the precious metals used and attest that the duties owed to the assay office for
control of the objects have been paid. A single item can therefore be stamped with
several hallmarks. Two hallmarks are obligatory in France: the standard mark and
the sponsor’s mark. The standard mark only appears on objects that have been
proven to contain the legally required proportion of gold, silver or platinum. The
sponsor’s mark, the second obligatory hallmark for gold, silver and platinum
objects, was introduced in France in 1355 by King John the Good. A jeweler must
register its mark with the assay office by inscribing it on a plate of copper. The
assay office ensures that no two jewelers use the same mark."

I'm assuming 750 is the hallmark for 18 kt gold. I'm wondering if Cartier is the maker's mark (I also learned my ring is going to have an individual serial number).

Cartier had a lot of royal warrants, although I know many other jewelers made jewels for royalty and the like at this time too.

I've seen the archival photograph of Catherine's wedding tiara. I'd like to see the one for Camilla's ring if any of you ever come across it.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The new Danish princess has been christened Athena Marguerite Franciose Marie... the last name is from her mother, the middle two names are from the grandmothers, and I guess Athena just because they liked it!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1337465442|3199344 said:

There are 4 photos of HM The Queen of Jordan arriving at the Palace in the link in the second post on this page. I posted the link so that other posters/lurkers here would be able to see photos from the evening (at least the ones made available to us). I'm not just filling the pages, you know! More photos can be seen in Press Association's website by simply typing Queen Rania dinner or whatever you fancy...

Here are two photos of Her Majesty at the luncheon in Windsor Castle. The Queen wore earrings with canary diamonds and a large gold brooch studded with pearls (rather tacky looking, if you ask me):
Picture by: Arthur Edwards/The Sun
Picture by: Dominic Lipinski

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1337476174|3199433 said:
BubblyBear|1337441684|3199146 said:

Couldn't agree more BB! I really do not understand why this was not a tiara event. I mean, 60 years on the throne? The DIAMOND Jubiliee? Shouldn't everyone be dripping in diamonds to pay homage to QEII??

Me too! I was more than surprised to see the hostess - HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - only wearing her modern diamond necklace and earrings and two bracelets. I expected to see something larger, like the Greville necklace (the smaller one).
I also expected to see something on The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg's neck - that large diamond riviere would've been a good choice, or the lovely necklace she wore at her silver wedding celebrations. Even the aquamarine necklace would've looked great and would've complemented the other aquamarine jewels, as well as the gorgeous Elie Saab dress.
Even Queen Silvia, with all the beauties in her private and familly collections, chose something as simple as a collet necklace and an old dress...

Anyway, the biggest disappointment was that no photos of the British Royal Family, apart from Charles & Camilla, were published. Actually, not even all guests were pictured arriving. And some sources mention that Elizabeth II & The Duke of Edinburgh were present too! Can you believe that?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1337547372|3199860 said:
The new Danish princess has been christened Athena Marguerite Franciose Marie... the last name is from her mother, the middle two names are from the grandmothers, and I guess Athena just because they liked it!

A most intersting choice of first name, no? I had hopes for somethign more traditional like Thyra, Dagmar, Ingrid or Alexandra (I always do). But like you say, Maria, the parents must've liked the name Athena, houever strange it may sound to me.

Photos of the christening can be found here: PPE gallery
And another gallery with photos of Møgeltønder Church - here

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know anything about the brooch Princess Marie wore at the christening today? It is not one I am familiar with. Thanks

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if Joachim has been designing jewelry again...eek. That brooch... :nono:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1337556858|3199940 said:
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know anything about the brooch Princess Marie wore at the christening today? It is not one I am familiar with. Thanks

I wonder if the brooch might've been a present fro The Queen and the earrings (button pearls within a diamond halo) from Prince Joachim.

The Crown Princess also wore new earrings - a rectangular blue stone (aquamarine/topaz) hanging from a line of diamonds.

I also wonder about Her Majesty's pendant. I doesn't look familiar to me.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
HRH Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland was christened today at the Church in Stockholms slott.

Here are a few photos of the interesting jewels that were worn
HRH The Crown Princess, Duchess of Västergötland - the diamond drop earrings, pendant and her diamond cuff bracelet (not pictured). Note the tiny sash of the Order of the Seraphim that Princess Estelle is wearing:
144999731.jpg
Photo by: Chris Jackson/Staff

HM The Queen - Queen Josefina's pearl drop earrings and the necklace of large orienal pearls:
PPE12052209.jpg
(c) PPE/Nieboer

HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland - two of the diamond drops from the Connaught tiara suspended from studs:
PPE12052287.jpg
(c) PPE/ddp/Langbehn

HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands - her large pearl necklace and the new diamond on pearl earrings:
PPE12052225.jpg
(c) PPE/Nieboer

HM The Queen of Denmark - sapphire and diamond earrings and ring, pearl rope:
2.13587444.jpg
Picture by: Britta Pedersen

More photos from the happy christening can be seen here - 22-05-2012 Stockholm and here - SWE: Christening of Princess Estelle of Sweden

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
So Daisy's a smoker and that's why her teeth are yellow? :confused:

I'm always surprised when I look at pictures of her that someone in her exalted social position would have such yellow teeth.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1337376556|3198685 said:
I love these two photos from the gala dinner:
The Princess of Wales making a gentle courtesy to the Princess of Monaco (or The Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Valentinois, if should use their secondary titles):
2.13558561.jpg
Picture by: Sean Dempsey

Two lovely ladies in nice aquamarine gowns:
2.13558661.jpg
[url.http://paimages.co.uk/prvw/2.13558661.jpg]Picture by: Sean Dempsey[/url]

More photos of Charles & Camilla greeting their guests can be seen [urlhttp://paimages.co.uk/]here[/url]. All you have to do is search for Dinner or Diamond Jubilee or something like that.

Bobby

Camilla uses her secondary title. I don't see why we shouldn't.

This picture looks almost like she's talking to Diana. Charlene looks a lot like Diana from this angle.

Hazey

Rough_Rock
Well folks, I'm happy to report it's taken me almost a full year, but I have FINALLY made it to the end of this thread! I am a huge fan of royal history and this thread is just captivating! Brilliant to all of you that contribute to it!

A few thoughts on the DoC, she has really been a unifying figure for the royal family in England. They were quickly losing popularity and the DoC has infused the family with new blood. It seems like they want her to keep dressing the way she has been, simple and understated, it makes the whole family appear more in line with modern times. I'm also not too sure she could really pull off large jewels, she's so painfully thin, they would overtake her.

As for Camilla, I really don't mind her. She's a much better match for Charles than uneducated, naive Diana ever would have been (sorry fans). Although it was a joy to see Diana in jewels, it's good to see Camilla in them as well, and happy to boot.

I so enjoyed reading this thread, I hope to continue monitoring it for new updates, kudos all!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1337629643|3200382 said:
I wonder if Joachim has been designing jewelry again...eek. That brooch... :nono:

Agreed! I read on another site about speculation that he designed the brooch. Almost as bad as the engagement ring!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1337699908|3200885 said:
HRH Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland was christened today at the Church in Stockholms slott.

Here are a few photos of the interesting jewels that were worn
HRH The Crown Princess, Duchess of Västergötland - the diamond drop earrings, pendant and her diamond cuff bracelet (not pictured). Note the tiny sash of the Order of the Seraphim that Princess Estelle is wearing:
Bobby

That baby sash is the CUTEST thing I have seen in a long time! Nothing like a little tasteful Baby Bling!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hazey|1337793950|3201746 said:
A few thoughts on the DoC, she has really been a unifying figure for the royal family in England. They were quickly losing popularity and the DoC has infused the family with new blood.

Hazey,

Do you have any poll from any reputable polling organization showing A. an approval/ disapproval rating for Camilla, B. Camilla brought popularity to the Royal Family?

I mean no offense but I haven't seen any reason to believe that Camilla is particularly popular nor any evidence that people like the Royal Family more because Charles married her.

As for Camilla, I really don't mind her. She's a much better match for Charles than uneducated, naive Diana ever would have been (sorry fans).

You should be aware that we've reached a consensus in this thread not to attack Diana or Camilla. We don't say things like, "uneducated, naive Diana" and various insults that could be directed toward Camilla, because doing either is bound to upset people who follow this thread daily. In fact, we've been told by the moderator not to make such comments.

Having said that, welcome and thanks for nice compliments!

Hazey

Rough_Rock
DoC = Katherine, Duchess of Cambridge, NOT Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall

Thank you, as I've stated, I've read the entire thread in full (10 months worth of reading) and I'm clear with what everyone (or at least the regular posters) deem to be appropriate content for this thread. As both comments about both Duchesses were semi-jewel related and I've seen similar comments throughout this thread, I don't see the harm in stating my observations. I've also seen many similar "lurkers" jump into this thread only to be scared out again, it's a forum, people are allowed to voice their opinions, there might be more posters if you guys were a little more welcoming to those folks. Regardless, keep up the good work, it's enjoyable reading nonetheless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results