carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1329137083|3125230 said:
LadyMaria|1329069631|3124702 said:
I stumbled on this picture recently. It sure looks like Queen Victoria's small sapphire tiara that is now with the Countess of Harewood. But, I'd never heard of pieces that went with it (looks like a bracelet and necklace in the picture). So where are the bracelet and necklace now?

I know QEII was given a sapphire necklace when she got married (and later had a diamond and sapphire tiara made to go with it) but I don't think this is the one. I can't tell in the picture I have.

Would the necklace in the picture also be with the Countess of Harewood?

As Neil has already said, the small sapphire tiara comes from the collection of Queen Victoria, and is still with the Earl of Harewood. The necklace, pendant and bracelet also come from Queen Victoria's jewellery trove. The larger pendant, originally a brooch, was birthday present from Prince Albert in 1845. About it The Queen wrote in her Journal "a beautiful single sapphire brooch, set round in diamonds, much like the beauty he gave at our marriage, only not quite so large". Both necklace and bracelet were sold after The Princess Royal's death by the (now late) Earl of Harewood. I'm not sure what the faith of the pendant was, but it may've been sold, as well.

In this photo you can clearly read the sapphire parure's provenance:
3319866Princess%20Royal,%20Mary%20.jpg
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/33...C5D1F5AF8E0AC66F1C8273676C3A50ACFB0318981C9EF

And this is a photo of the necklace alone - 14 sapphire and diamond clusters, 43 cm, sold for GBP 8000; no mention of the link to Queen Victoria was made:
queenvictoriasapphirenecklace.jpg

The large sapphire & diamond brooch, a present from Queen Mary, sold for GBP 10500 as a Highly important sapphire and diamond brooch / 7.x.70

Queen Elizabeth II's sapphire tiara was made from a collier/devrant-de-corsage that had belonged to Princess Louise of Belgium.

Bobby

Great pictures Bobby, I envy your archives!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Neil, lucky you! I'm FCD green with envy. Wish so much I could toddle over there. You'll have to write up a BIG report for us!

--- Laurie

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
I have just spent the last few days going through each page and wow! I've learned so much more about royal jewels!

I have a question for those who know about British jewels. I found this photo of Alexandra, but I do not recognize the tiara she's wearing. Does anyone have anymore info about it? thank you!

PAlexandra133.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1329165845|3125511 said:
I can't wait to go and see this in the summer, tickets booked!

Now I envy you! I'll probably visit London later this year, but before the exhibition is opened....

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
WithinDemise|1329255712|3126258 said:
I have just spent the last few days going through each page and wow! I've learned so much more about royal jewels!

I have a question for those who know about British jewels. I found this photo of Alexandra, but I do not recognize the tiara she's wearing. Does anyone have anymore info about it? thank you!

Welcome to Pricescope, WithinDemise! And thanks for the nice photo of Princess Alexandra!

About the jewels - Unfortunately, unlike with the collections of her brothers, very little is known about Princess Alexandra's jewellery. She certainly owns some lovely and important pieces, though. Some even with Imperial provenance. This small tiara (or rather 7 diamond floral clusters on a wire base) might come from two directions, depending on when the photo was taken.
If it was before 1963, the tiara might've been a present from The Duchess of Kent; If the photos is after 1963, then it might've been a (wedding) present from Angus Ogilvy or his family.
In any case, this piece was later upgraded with some delicate ribbons and a very beautiful, larger and versatile piece was created. Princess Alexandra has worn the tiara with pearls, sapphires and turquoises in the center of the flowers.
HRH's necklace is also interesting. It has red, green and blue stones (rubies, emeralds and sapphires, I'd assume) in it.

I know my post doesn't really answer your question, that's why I hope some of the other posters here has some more info about this small tiara (and perhaps some other f HRH's jewels).

Best,
Bobby

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1329267353|3126394 said:
WithinDemise|1329255712|3126258 said:

Welcome to Pricescope, WithinDemise! And thanks for the nice photo of Princess Alexandra!

About the jewels - Unfortunately, unlike with the collections of her brothers, very little is known about Princess Alexandra's jewellery. She certainly owns some lovely and important pieces, though. Some even with Imperial provenance. This small tiara (or rather 7 diamond floral clusters on a wire base) might come from two directions, depending on when the photo was taken.
If it was before 1963, the tiara might've been a present from The Duchess of Kent; If the photos is after 1963, then it might've been a (wedding) present from Angus Ogilvy or his family.
In any case, this piece was later upgraded with some delicate ribbons and a very beautiful, larger and versatile piece was created. Princess Alexandra has worn the tiara with pearls, sapphires and turquoises in the center of the flowers.
HRH's necklace is also interesting. It has red, green and blue stones (rubies, emeralds and sapphires, I'd assume) in it.

I know my post doesn't really answer your question, that's why I hope some of the other posters here has some more info about this small tiara (and perhaps some other f HRH's jewels).

Best,
Bobby

Thanks for the info! I went back to topfoto and the captain for that photo says Hong Kong November 1961. The photo I'm attaching is from 1964, according to the caption. Is this the tiara that the flowers were added to?

Your post did a great job of answering my question. Your knowledge is astounding! This thread would be very boring without you and many of the others, thank you!

PAlexandra134.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, welcome, WD! Good subject; we don't write much of P. Alexandra.

Your pic is of the tiara including the flowers. Here is another -- looks like, same as yours, with diamonds only.

Another with pearls. The necklace was a wedding gift from her husband, similar to Victoria's but without the little crown on the Queen's:

And with turquoises. Both pieces are quite beautiful & I love their versatility.

--- Laurie

Alexandra.jpg

Alexandra2.jpg

AlexandraTurquoise.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The picture of Princess Alexandra in orange is stunning! Not only the amazing jewelry, but her posture, her beauty and her expression. Very striking.

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1329315043|3126607 said:

Your pic is of the tiara including the flowers. Here is another -- looks like, same as yours, with diamonds only.

Another with pearls. The necklace was a wedding gift from her husband, similar to Victoria's but without the little crown on the Queen's:

And with turquoises. Both pieces are quite beautiful & I love their versatility.

--- Laurie

Thank you Laurie, for the great pictures! I have seen that tiara many times and I never made the connection between the flowers! haha, silly me.

I'm so glad I found this website and this thread!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1329325783|3126717 said:
The picture of Princess Alexandra in orange is stunning! Not only the amazing jewelry, but her posture, her beauty and her expression. Very striking.

I couldn't agree more, LD. Her complexion is flawless too, & perfect for pearls. Sigh.

WD, I wouldn't have put the 2 together if you hadn't asked -- the tiara is so different, it's really that she had one made incorporating the flowers rather than the other way around. It's one of the prettiest I've ever seen imo. Graceful, elegant, richly & delicately designed.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1329315043|3126607 said:

--- Laurie

Actually, there isn't an all diamond version of this tiara. It's always worn with either pearls, turquoises or sapphires in the center of each flower. A pity that there aren't cabochon emeralds as an alternative setting for both the necklace and the tiara, as they would've matched HRH's other emerald jewels.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I would love to have that tiara & its alternate jewels! I wonder if she can snap changes in herself or if she tells the footman, "Call Garrard & ask them to insert the turquoises, please." (I'm sure she says please.) 8)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a shame. Hope he comes through & is okay. Thanks for the info.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1329439166|3127732 said:
Oh, I would love to have that tiara & its alternate jewels! I wonder if she can snap changes in herself or if she tells the footman, "Call Garrard & ask them to insert the turquoises, please." (I'm sure she says please.) 8)

LOL
I think these jewels are made in such a way that everybody should be able to set the necklace and the tiara with the different stones. I wouldn't think that the tiara and necklace are brought to Gerrards for the chage of 9 stones. These things would be done be a member of the staff - the person responsible for the silver/the butler (in a great house), a lady's maid or even a lady-in-waiting. If only for the sheer joy of playing with her jewels, I suppose Princess Alexandra has also done it herself. Of course every stone/setting is engraved so that no mistakes are made.
I suppose that small screws are used for the setting of the pearls, turquoises and sapphires, just like in this video:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/its-a-jewel-aka-its-a-jewel/query/jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1329505806|3128212 said:
In some hard news, Dutch Prince Johan was seriously injured in an avalanche.
http://news.yahoo.com/dutch-royal-buried-austrian-avalanche-report-143209049.html

I learned about it today at work and since then have been following the newes. I hope HRH is better than some of the reports suggest... My thoughts are with Mabel, The Queen and the rest of the family. Must be a hard time for them now... And when you think that it had to be the traditional, funn family vacation...

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
neil31uk|1329165762|3125509 said:
prince.of.preslav|1329137370|3125231 said:
neil31uk|1329077147|3124857 said:
[
Wonderful to see her in the Sate Diadem for these pictures. Interestingly, and I only found this out a few weeks ago, the Diadem is the only item of the Crown Jewels or personal jewels of HM that contains fancy coloured diamonds, in this case some yellow ones. I somehow thought that there would be more. I know it was orignianlly made for a man to wear (George IV) and that it was worn with a velvet cap and ermin trim. Also, the ornaments between the crosses are a rose, a thistle and shamrock.

What about the Wattle brooch?
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...th/MicroObject.asp?row=96&themeid=944&item=96

Yes the Walltle brooch came to me as I went ot bed last night. can we think of any more yellow diamonds?

250030.jpg

Speaking from memory, I think there is a canary diamond on the hilt of the sword of state.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I love the pictures of Princess Alexandra. Her tiara is lovely. I do remember reading somewhere that her necklace is a copy of Queen Victoria's Jubilee necklace (as aforementioned, minus the crown).

I find it interesting how low she is in the succession, but still carries out quite a few official engagements on behalf of Her Majesty....especially given the current debate on the roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. I wonder if she would be as active as a member of "The Firm" had she been born a few decades later.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria: I find it interesting how low she is in the succession, but still carries out quite a few official engagements on behalf of Her Majesty....especially given the current debate on the roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.

You have to consider that at the time of her birth Princess Alexandra was sixth in line to the throne and became an active member of the royal family much before The Prince of Wales and his siblings. Thus, HRH became patroness of many organizations, charities, etc and is stil connected to them. The Princess is perhaps best known for her work for the blind and there's a famous pic of HRH walking with covered eyes and a guide dog.
Never having set a foot wrong, Princess Alexandra can be a very good example/guide for the younger generation of the British Royal Family. I really hope we'll get to see the two York princesses take over some of Princess Alexandra's patronages. Somehow I can not imagine the current Prince of Wales, his spouse and two sons + their spouses as the only working royals in the next reign... Thy just wouldn't cope with all the work.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On the occasion of HM The Queen of New Zealand's Diamodn Jubilee, two glittering portrait have been released. In the new portraits The Queen is wearing Queen Mary's fringe tiara and the City of London fringe necklace. HM's also wearing her grandmother's floret earrings, diamond bracelet (one of a pair) and a diamond watch.

It is unfortunate that The Governor-General's website has so many factual mistakes about the jewels, esp as they are rather well-known pieces. You can read the press realese here - http://gg.govt.nz/content/diamond-jubilee-portraits-and-prayer-released

HQ of the photos are to be seen here:
The Queen: http://gg.govt.nz/sites/all/files/images/HMQ New Zealand public.jpg
The Queen & The Duke of Edinburgh: http://gg.govt.nz/sites/all/files/images/HMQ and PP New Zealand public.jpg

Lets hope that Canada and Australia will also issue new glittering portraits of Elizabeth II :)

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1329610042|3128982 said:
On the occasion of HM The Queen of New Zealand's Diamodn Jubilee, two glittering portrait have been released. In the new portraits The Queen is wearing Queen Mary's fringe tiara and the City of London fringe necklace. HM's also wearing her grandmother's floret earrings, diamond bracelet (one of a pair) and a diamond watch.

It is unfortunate that The Governor-General's website has so many factual mistakes about the jewels, esp as they are rather well-known pieces. You can read the press realese here - http://gg.govt.nz/content/diamond-jubilee-portraits-and-prayer-released

The Queen & The Duke of Edinburgh: http://gg.govt.nz/sites/all/files/images/HMQ and PP New Zealand public.jpg

Lets hope that Canada and Australia will also issue new glittering portraits of Elizabeth II :)

Bobby

When I first saw the picture of the Queen and Duke, I thought, "Something is not right here..."

I think this is the first time I've ever seen the Duke in dress uniform without the Garter sash! He's not even wearing the Star! Neither is the Queen...so what order is she wearing?!

And what would dictate what order they would wear for a portrait like this? Why wouldn't they wear the Garter?

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1329612142|3129000 said:
prince.of.preslav|1329610042|3128982 said:

Bobby

When I first saw the picture of the Queen and Duke, I thought, "Something is not right here..."

I think this is the first time I've ever seen the Duke in dress uniform without the Garter sash! He's not even wearing the Star! Neither is the Queen...so what order is she wearing?!

And what would dictate what order they would wear for a portrait like this? Why wouldn't they wear the Garter?

The medal on the left of HM and the medal on the farthest left on HRH is the Queen's Service Order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Service_Order. HM is wearing the New Zealand Order of Merit Sash and star: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Order_of_Merit I believe, if my eyes do not deceive me.

I assume since these photos are for New Zealand, that is why they are wearing New Zealand orders. I would think if they do photos like this for each of the commonwealth nations they will wear the respective orders of the nation the photos are for.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
WithinDemise|1329617908|3129085 said:
I assume since these photos are for New Zealand, that is why they are wearing New Zealand orders. I would think if they do photos like this for each of the commonwealth nations they will wear the respective orders of the nation the photos are for.

Logical thinking...and if they do a picture like this for each commonwealth, that will be lots of opportunities for us to see lots of jewels! :D Bust out the Bling :appl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It was P Alex.'s daughter who ended up on a government welfare program. That's what I'd like to hear about- how in the world that happened. Is it too much to think this family could help it's own members? Very strange situation, and another royal w/ no title. And apparently very little money. :o

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1329676980|3129402 said:
It was P Alex.'s daughter who ended up on a government welfare program. That's what I'd like to hear about- how in the world that happened. Is it too much to think this family could help it's own members? Very strange situation, and another royal w/ no title. And apparently very little money. :o

Apparently, Danny, after the rift between daughter and parents, Sir Angus and Princess Alexandra chose to freeze a (100k) trust fund set up in Marina Ogilvy's name. I believe that they reconciled several years before the death of Sir Angus, but can not comment about the trust.
Don't worry about Princess Alexandra and James Ogilvy. Sir Angus was a wealthy man ;-) And no - James and Marina aren't royal. Their mother is.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1329612142|3129000 said:

Maria, as this is an official portrait of The Queen of New Zealand & her consort, there's no need for them to wear their British decorations.
Had you read the press release, you would've know what The Queen & The Duke are wearing in the portraits. Here are two quotes from the press realese dealinf with HM & HRH's orders:

The photographs were taken by London-based photographer, Julian Calder, in the Blue Room of Buckingham Palace last year. They picture The Queen wearing the Sovereign’s insignia of the Order of New Zealand, the New Zealand Order of Merit, Star, Sash and Badge and The Queen’s Service Order. The Queen wears the Diamond Fern brooch presented by the women of Auckland in 1953 on her right shoulder.
The Duke of Edinburgh is in the uniform of an Admiral of the Fleet in the Royal New Zealand Navy (appointed 1958). This uniform is identical to that worn as an Admiral of the Fleet in the Royal Navy, to which rank he was appointed in 1953. The Duke’s medal bar gives pride of place to the Badge of a Companion of The Queen’s Service Order, to which he was appointed in 1981.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1329687352|3129517 said:
Maria, as this is an official portrait of The Queen of New Zealand & her consort, there's no need for them to wear their British decorations.
Had you read the press release, you would've know what The Queen & The Duke are wearing in the portraits.

I just jump straight to the jewels! :bigsmile: I'll know better next time and read the press release.

I think my students are rubbing off on me. They don't pay attention to directions either...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1329686756|3129511 said:
Imdanny|1329676980|3129402 said:

Apparently, Danny, after the rift between daughter and parents, Sir Angus and Princess Alexandra chose to freeze a (100k) trust fund set up in Marina Ogilvy's name. I believe that they reconciled several years before the death of Sir Angus, but can not comment about the trust.
Don't worry about Princess Alexandra and James Ogilvy. Sir Angus was a wealthy man ;-) And no - James and Marina aren't royal. Their mother is.

Bobby, they may not be technically "royal" but they are the Queen's relations and they have the same bloodline as their mother. I was just noting the scandal and, I guess, we'd want to see the children following in their mother's footsteps. It seems like a letdown to me. *Shrugs*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results