shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
the Cartier bracelets are some of my favorite royal jewels as well and think the need to be worn much more! There is a nice photo of them in Leslie Fields book on the the royal jewels.Never have seen them worn as a head piece. Interesting!

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Recently Princess Mary wore a ruby ring of three stones surrounded by diamonds. As a ring it is an unusual setting indeed.
So I am asking for opinions here. What if it was Queen Alexandrines pendant/brooch worn on her engagement 1898.
This better photo of it prompted me into thinking this. What do you think?
Christian%20&%20Alexandrine%201898%20engagement%20portrait.jpg Ruby%20triplet%20ring%20&%20diamonds%20first%20worn%20in%20Aust%20nov%202011.jpg

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Wow, that is one ugly ruby ring. Usually I love rubies, but this piece should have been left as a pin or possibly a pendant, best use would have placement at the far back of the jewelry box.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
It is too big to look like a nice ring. It looks gaudy and overdone. I agree it would look better as a brooch, hairpin, or pendent. Or, use the jewels and reset them to make somethign else....maybe a new pendent and earrings?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, does not make a nice ring at all.

Spent this morning roaming jewelry auctions & I happened on this, sold in Nov. at Sotheby's Geneva for about $75,000:

The listing said, "Property of a Royal Lady," and noted it had British import & assay marks. Likely to be a British royal lady, then. Does it ring any bells with anyone? Maybe seen photos of its former owner wearing parts of it? She sold it quietly in Geneva rather than at a London auction house, probably needed a new roof on the castle. :)) I'm purely curious.

--- Laurie

Colored sapphire, ruby, diamond.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1325967221|3097377 said:
Yeah, does not make a nice ring at all.

Spent this morning roaming jewelry auctions & I happened on this, sold in Nov. at Sotheby's Geneva for about $75,000:

The listing said, "Property of a Royal Lady," and noted it had British import & assay marks. Likely to be a British royal lady, then. Does it ring any bells with anyone? Maybe seen photos of its former owner wearing parts of it? She sold it quietly in Geneva rather than at a London auction house, probably needed a new roof on the castle. :)) I'm purely curious.

--- Laurie
That is gorgeous set! I wish I could say I bought it! It is not a color combination I would think I like, but there is something that just makes it work wonderfully! Almost tutti-frutti-ish, but more subdued.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like the colors too, Maria. Don't think I'd want to wear it -- sort of too bubbly for me.

--- Laurie

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I love it, would love to know who sold it, wish it had been me that bought it but alas....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh well, next time, Laurensmama. I'd like to know whom it came from too. Idle curiosity.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1325915199|3097115 said:
Recently Princess Mary wore a ruby ring of three stones surrounded by diamonds. As a ring it is an unusual setting indeed.
So I am asking for opinions here. What if it was Queen Alexandrines pendant/brooch worn on her engagement 1898.
Christian%20&%20Alexandrine%201898%20engagement%20portrait.jpg Ruby%20triplet%20ring%20&%20diamonds%20first%20worn%20in%20Aust%20nov%202011.jpg

If we assume that the source of the stones for The Crown Princess' new ruby ring is Duchess Alexandrine's jewel, then they this brooch must've been reset into the ring. You'll notice that, however similar the two jewels are, the stones are set in a different arrangement.
Contrary to the others here, I rather like this new ring. Certainly it's a piece that won't be seen much and certainly not at the grandest occasions (it's a cocktail ring, after all). However, I have to agree that a pair of hair pins and a small clasp/brooch would've been nicer.
And last but not least - It's strange that we've not seen Queen Alexandrine's brooch on anybody else in the family...

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I don't mind the ring. It's nice for a special occasion and not for every day wear. I probably wouldn't wear it (maybe as a pair of earrings and a pendant), but I don't have any fancy parties to attend!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1325967221|3097377 said:

--- Laurie

No, it certainly doesn't ring a bell, but it just shouts Middle East to me. And I wouldn't say that it's likely to be a British royal lady. Not at all. Just think that the Windsors are not the only royals to reside in Britain. I also wouldn't say that it's the seller that decides where the item would be sold - it's the auction house.
I wouldn't know for sure, but doesn't the (British) marks mean that the jewel was made in that country (Britain) and is casted in x carats? Does Sotheby's site say who made the set?
Whatever the truth, this is not a jewel to my taste, though I find it rather lovely. Whoever has it now, I hope she wears it with pride :)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today (08.01.2012) HM The Queen of the Netherlands started a State Visit to the United Arab Emirates, where she was received by Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the President of the UAE. The Queen is accompanied on this visit (the 5oth out going SV in her reign) by The Prince of Orange & Princess Maxima.

At one of the events today, HM dazzled with a diamond riviere, earrings, bracelet and brooch (a little overdone for during the day):
PPE12010848.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010848.jpg
A view of the bracelet: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010890.jpg

At the same event Princess Maxima wore the long orange stone and diamond earrings and the matching brooch:
PPE12010847.jpg PPE12010893.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010847.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010893.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Later that day Her Majesty & Their Royal Highnesses visited The College of technology and The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company. For this visites the royal guests changed their outfits and their jewels. This time The Queen wore a single strand of pearls with a diamond pendent, classical pearl and diamond cluster earrings and a brooch:
PPE12010866.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010866.jpg

Princess Maxima wore her mother-in-law's pink topaz and diamond earrings and brooch:
PPE12010896.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010896.jpg

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I really love that Q. Beatrix is so generous with her jewels with Maxima, a sign of affection & respect.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1326109057|3098391 said:
I really love that Q. Beatrix is so generous with her jewels with Maxima, a sign of affection & respect.

I just couldn't agree more with you, Laurie! It's really nice to see jewels shared among Beatrix's daughters-in-law. And whan it comes to personal jewels (vs those in the foundations), it does show the appreciation and affection of The Queen for Maxima, but also Laurentien and Mabel (more rarely).
Concerning this set, however, I have my doubts that it is still under Her Majesty's custody because now we see it only on Princess Maxima, and HRH has even worn a pendent, not seen on Beatrix before. Back at the time of Maxima's 4oth birthday I thought that the set might've passed into new hands. And wouldn't that be a fitting present - jewels that The Queen knows Maxima likes so very much and that suit her? It's just a thought, of course.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1326071690|3098221 said:

This is magnifiscent video, TL! Thank you for sharing it with us. These jewels are beyond description (for me at least) and arepresent only a small fraction of what the Imperial family had access to. And then when you think what happened to the last people that wore them.... BTW, both my mother and grandmother have been at the Kremlin but for some reason neither of them remebers if they've seen the Imperial jewels. What a shame!
There is another video that shows the jewels in 3D and when a jewels is mounted en tremblant the effect is shown. I might search for it.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The above posted video of the Russian Imperial jewels makes me wonder what other original Romanov jewels survived the auctions in the 1920s? Besides the Nuptal tiara there is another pearl and diamond tiara that is part of the Diamond Fund, but being a copy it doesn't count. I also think that Maria Alexandrovna's large sapphire brooch is still part of the treasury, as are some aigrettes and other brooches. But are there more tiaras, even parures from the Imperial family's collection?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Day 2 of the Dutch State Visit to the UAE

Today The Queen and The Prince & Princess visited Masdar City. For the visit HM had chosen a pair of sapphire earring (the top part of her long earrings?), the violet brooch and the three tone gold necklace:
PPE12010925.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010925.jpg
*Sometimes I think that only a Queen can look lovely and regal in such a printed fabric.

Princess Maxima wore a pair of diamond hoops and her diamond ring:
PPE12010907.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010907.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Later that day, the royal guests visited the harbour of Jebel Ali and DP World. The Queen had changed into another suit and jewels - another pair of sapphire earrings, the white gold necklace and the large sapphire and diamond floral brooch:
PPE12010953.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010953.jpg

Princess Maxima looked scary! That's why I'll not post a photo of her. What is important is that she wore the same jewels.

In the late afternoon/evening there was a meeting with the Dutch community in Dubai (followed by a reception?). For that event HM wore the diamond roses as brooches and as earrings:
PPE12010980.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010980.jpg

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I know Q Bea's prints are her fashion "thing," but I have so much trouble really appreciating the brooches she wears. They just get lost!

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
You are absolutely right Bubbly Bear - that brooches do get lost on printed fabrics. Therefore we can't see them properly.

And Bobby after I posted the photos of Alexandrine & Marys ring, I could see more clearly that the stones in the ring are set quite differently to the brooch worn on Alexandrines collar. I just thought when I first came across it how similar
the two pieces appeared to be, and then wondered if perhaps the ring was a remake of the brooch.
But as you say we haven't seen this brooch since. Goodness only knows what happens to some of these jewels.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Maxima looked gorgeous with the diamond hoops (I WANT them!) & the whole outfit. The hoops were exactly the right note. But later on? Ouch!

Something nasty landed on her head!

222222223.jpg

diamonddiadem

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Princess Dagmar|1325915199|3097115 said:

If we assume that the source of the stones for The Crown Princess' new ruby ring is Duchess Alexandrine's jewel, then they this brooch must've been reset into the ring. You'll notice that, however similar the two jewels are, the stones are set in a different arrangement.
Contrary to the others here, I rather like this new ring. Certainly it's a piece that won't be seen much and certainly not at the grandest occasions (it's a cocktail ring, after all). However, I have to agree that a pair of hair pins and a small clasp/brooch would've been nicer.
And last but not least - It's strange that we've not seen Queen Alexandrine's brooch on anybody else in the family...

Bobby

Hi,

I just joined this board to answer the question you had about the brooch that Queen Alexandrine wore. Its a sapphire brooch which Queen Margrethe II has been seen wearing quite often. She received it when she was a teenager and have been wearing it since. Hope this helps.
alex_1.jpg alex2.jpg
H.M.%20Dronningen,%202005.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, welcome & thanks! That answers that question at least. It's a very nice brooch, especially in the color photo.

--- Laurie

SpecialSundae

Rough_Rock
I've been reading this thread from start to end and finally I have something to post!

There's an interesting article in The Daily Mail (a horrible newspaper but good for gossip) about a platinum and diamond Harry Winston brooch and pair of cufflinks that Kate and William received on their trip to the US last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2084973/Kate-Middletons-Harry-Winston-diamond-brooch-Gift-Canada-designer-platinum.html

I know that the fact that Kate doesn't wear a lot of jewellery has been commented on at times on this thread. I suspect that a lot of it is down to the current culture in the UK.

It is currently seen as rather unseemly for a lady under 40 to wear large jewels on a regular basis (particularly during the day) so as she gets older she may well begin to wear more of the heavier jewels similar to those that the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall currently wear for events.

I can't wait for the Queen's jewellery exhibition in Edinburgh later this year!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I saw, SS, that there is the usual to-do about those Canadian gifts, etc. Nobody has explained, apparently, that they technically belong to the gov't, having been given on a State visit -- but I suppose the to-doers don't care. The Brits erupt periodically re royal jewels. Thought about that in relation to the Dutch RF & their current Middle East visit. I'm married to a Dutchman & we lived in Amsterdam for 5 yrs -- don't remember anybody ever mentioning the RF, let alone caring about their jewelry. The population goes along with their lives & lets the RF get on with their own. Different attitudes. I like the lack of envy & spite much better; the UK version's a bit depressing & silly: OF COURSE they'll be given jewels; it's been customary since royalty was invented!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SpecialSundae|1326287921|3100237 said:
I've been reading this thread from start to end and finally I have something to post!

There's an interesting article in The Daily Mail (a horrible newspaper but good for gossip) about a platinum and diamond Harry Winston brooch and pair of cufflinks that Kate and William received on their trip to the US last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2084973/Kate-Middletons-Harry-Winston-diamond-brooch-Gift-Canada-designer-platinum.html

I know that the fact that Kate doesn't wear a lot of jewellery has been commented on at times on this thread. I suspect that a lot of it is down to the current culture in the UK.

It is currently seen as rather unseemly for a lady under 40 to wear large jewels on a regular basis (particularly during the day) so as she gets older she may well begin to wear more of the heavier jewels similar to those that the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall currently wear for events.

I can't wait for the Queen's jewellery exhibition in Edinburgh later this year!

I don't know why the DM is making a big deal of those jewels now, they were given away a few months ago or so, old news. In any case, it's not like she can sell the jewels, or they're hers to do with what she likes. I would imagine that all State visit jewelry becomes part of the Crown. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I don't see Kate wearing that style, and William has said himself that he doesn't like to wear jewelry.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You're right, TL, that's why it's so silly. State gifts belong to the Crown, not the recipient, but she can use them for her lifetime. I don't see Kate wearing a polar bear around much, really -- whoever decided on that design wasn't too swift. (The ruby/diamond necklace was a wedding present & is therefore hers alone; personal gifts are different from State ones.) Yeah, old news -- media trying to scare up a scandal out of nothing, as usual.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results