Long time lurker 1st time posting

20j1i15.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
BubblyBear|1316830814|3024363 said:
norway-marthalouise.jpg

I'm intrigued by the necklace and earrings in this picture of HH Martha Louise of Norway. Anyone know what kind of stones these are?

I think this necklace has a wonderful Victorian elegance to it. I was reading up on moonstone, and apparently it is found in Norway (amongst other countries) so I wonder if these stone originate there. I wonder how many other royal ladies wear stones in the country that they were mined in?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1318721863|3041222 said:
I think this necklace has a wonderful Victorian elegance to it. I was reading up on moonstone, and apparently it is found in Norway (amongst other countries) so I wonder if these stone originate there. I wonder how many other royal ladies wear stones in the country that they were mined in?

I'm glad to read that you agree with me, Neil!

About your question - I suppose the diamonds in Elizabeth II's Wattle brooch are Australian and there are many photos of HM wearing the jewel Down Under. The Maple leaf brooch might be made of diamonds mined in Canada. Perhaps The Queen has worn some of the Cullinan diamonds in SA; for sure she's worn her best diamonds there. It's highly possible that the emeralds Queen Mary wore at the Durbar in Delhi were mined in India, and maybe this goes to the diamonds in the necklace. There are also some Celtic broochs that The Queen (and her late mother) wear in Scotland, and these often feature some semi-precious stones, most likely originating from HM's realm.
Of course, these are all British royals and jewels. I'm not sure about other royal ladies and their jewels.

ETA - Princess Elizabeth was also given the flame lily brooch in 1947 in South Africa. I think it's likely she wore it then.

Best,
Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Aftr looking at the recent engagement ring post, I started thinking I have never seen a nice picture of the Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring. Some really nice closeups but nothing that really makes the diamonds shine. It has been reported to be worth $100,000 so it certainly did not come out of a cracker jack box. While I realize this is an antique ring (previously property of the Queen Mum), it just doesn't sparkle. Am assuming it is due to their cut (old stones, single cut ??)and setting in the ring. Just wondering, does anyone have a sparkly picture of it, or comments?

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Re: DoC engagement ring

I am afraid I have to agree with you about Camilla's ring. I have never seen a good sparkly photo of it. It usually looks
dull and dirty and I guess you are right about the fact that it could be due to the cut of the stones. But even so, as
diamonds they should refract the light a lot better than they do.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1319065667|3043790 said:
Aftr looking at the recent engagement ring post, I started thinking I have never seen a nice picture of the Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring. Some really nice closeups but nothing that really makes the diamonds shine. It has been reported to be worth $100,000 so it certainly did not come out of a cracker jack box. While I realize this is an antique ring (previously property of the Queen Mum), it just doesn't sparkle. Am assuming it is due to their cut (old stones, single cut ??)and setting in the ring. Just wondering, does anyone have a sparkly picture of it, or comments?

I actually agree with you, laurensmama. I had never realised that before, but the rign doesn't shine... Strange... Is it possible that the cut of the stones (emerald cut, not singel-cut) has something to do with it?

One other thing - I wouldn't say the ring is antique, as it was made in 1926 by Cartier.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Look what I saw today, guys - a portrait of Queen Victoria wearing the Oriental Circlet, the first one known to me! The original was made by Stephen Catterson Smith the Younger.
Since it's quite well-known that the tiara was originally set with opals, I think it's ok to say that the brooch and earrings were also in diamonds and opals. I'm fairly certain these are the same earrings and brooch that were re-set with rubies for Queen Alexandra and later worn by The late Queen Mother.
The Queen must also be wearing The Queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearl necklaces and the Order of St Patrick.

145503lg.jpg

You can see the full size here: http://www.lyonandturnbull.com//Large//503/145503lg.jpg
And read more info here: http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=338++++++382+&refno=++145503

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here's another little treasure from the same auction and collection. This time we see Queen Victoria wearing same very nice emerald and diamond jeweles. I do wonder whether they were also designed by the Prince Consort and also if the middle brooch was like the others. One has to wonder if these jewels still exist somewhere.

145475lg.jpg
Full size: http://www.lyonandturnbull.com//Large//475/145475lg.jpg
Info: http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=338++++++303+&refno=++145475&image=0

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Queen surprised us with two brooches not seen on her so far at the Australian tour
The first one was the sapphire, ruby and diamond flower brooch that was a present from HM's parents in 1945:
LN-TQ-Oct2011-Aust-Day2-3.jpg
http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/State Visits/Australia 2011/LN-TQ-Oct2011-Aust-Day2-3.jpg

The second is a pearl and diamond brooch, previously worn by Queen Elizabeth:
LN-TQ-Oct2011-Aust-Day2-1.jpg
http://www.royal.gov.uk/List Images/State Visits/Australia 2011/LN-TQ-Oct2011-Aust-Day2-1.jpg
*both pix are from the Monarchy's website

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today The Queen and The Duke attended a Reception at Parliament House, Canberra. HM wore three long strands of pearls, diamond earrings and diamond watch. Any guesses what the earrings might be?
It's been a while since we last saw Elizabeth II with something other that the ussual three row pearl necklace and earrings, brooch and gold watch at a day time event (the Garter service excluded), don't you think?
129890370.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/129890370/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Great find Bobby of Queen Victoria portraits. Excellent!
Watching the queen on TV here I thought that she was wearing the Diplomatic Corp diamond flower earrings.
Not seen all that often over the years. I could be wrong of course, but that was what imediately came to mind when I saw her.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Watching the news today I see that HM QEII has worn this lovely brooch whilst on tour in Australia. I don't think I have seen her wear it before. It was a gift from the People of Sri Lanka in 1981.

250035.jpg

Looking through the archives, HM aslo has this stunning brooch of yellow and white diamonds as a gift from the People of Australia on a past tour. I think she was wearing it when she arrived in Australia, with her turquoise outfit.

250030.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
neil31uk said:
Watching the news today I see that HM QEII has worn this lovely brooch whilst on tour in Australia. I don't think I have seen her wear it before. It was a gift from the People of Sri Lanka in 1981.

250035.jpg

Does anyone have anymore information on this brooch, I have never seen it before it is lovely. Thanks

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1319450770|3046464 said:
laurensmama|1319406489|3046076 said:
Does anyone have anymore information on this brooch, I have never seen it before it is lovely. Thanks

Her Majesty has worn the brooch on a few other occasions. Here you can read something more about if and enjoy a great close-up:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...th/MicroObject.asp?row=97&themeid=944&item=97

Bobby

Reading up on the range of gems that are mined in Sri Lanka, I wonder if the gems of this brooch were all mined there? I think I can spot pink, yellow and blue sapphires, amethysts, what I think are a couple of garnets, a very dark blue stone that could be a sapphire or iolite, all of which, as I understand, are mined there.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Another gift from a previous royal tour of Australia:

250038.jpg

I can't say I like such a large gem at the heart of the piece, but a smaller gem would look good as the setting is imo quite attractive. The earrings look lovely.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1319229374|3044985 said:
Look what I saw today, guys - a portrait of Queen Victoria wearing the Oriental Circlet, the first one known to me! The original was made by Stephen Catterson Smith the Younger.
Since it's quite well-known that the tiara was originally set with opals, I think it's ok to say that the brooch and earrings were also in diamonds and opals. I'm fairly certain these are the same earrings and brooch that were re-set with rubies for Queen Alexandra and later worn by The late Queen Mother.
The Queen must also be wearing The Queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearl necklaces and the Order of St Patrick.

145503lg.jpg

You can see the full size here: http://www.lyonandturnbull.com//Large//503/145503lg.jpg
And read more info here: http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=338++++++382+&refno=++145503

Bobby

I like it a lot! It seems it might go for a very reasonable price if the estimate is close to accurate.

I hadn't thought about royal collectibles before as being anything other than mugs. I'm not a mug snob. Actually, I wouldn't mind having some original collectibles of Prince Charles' and Lady Diana's wedding. Personally, I would draw the line at Diana dolls (not a fan of them) and Catherine dolls (or them).

I think your knowledge of royal jewels is amazing! I'm glad you found this interesting portrait and shared it with us. It has almost a sense of veneration to it and I think it's very charming. I'm also reminded of Pandora's post telling me about how valued opals used to be in the Victorian era.

Thanks for posting this, Bobby!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1319455790|3046479 said:
Reading up on the range of gems that are mined in Sri Lanka, I wonder if the gems of this brooch were all mined there? I think I can spot pink, yellow and blue sapphires, amethysts, what I think are a couple of garnets, a very dark blue stone that could be a sapphire or iolite, all of which, as I understand, are mined there.

Yes, iolite is a possibility, as is an amethyst with a very deep colour. Agree about a couple of garnets. I can also see an aquamarine and perhaps topazes in pink and blue.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1319468667|3046580 said:
Another gift from a previous royal tour of Australia:

250038.jpg

I can't say I like such a large gem at the heart of the piece, but a smaller gem would look good as the setting is imo quite attractive. The earrings look lovely.

I've never understood why such a beautifull necklace was ruined with this uber-huge opal... A smaller stone would've been perfect, IMO. And while it's understandable why the necklace isn't worn, I think the earrings would've looked very nice if worn with some pearls or on their own, perhaps at a Garter/etc. ceremony :)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last week New York saw a bunch of Scandiavian royals, as well as Presidents and First Ladies. They were there to commemorate the Centenary of American-Scandinavian Foundation. The climax of the celebrations was a gala dinner at the , of which the guests of honour were The King & Queen of Sweden, Princess Madeleine of Sweden, The King & Queen of Norway, Then Crown Prince & Princess of Denmark, the President & First Lady of Iceland and The President of Iceland.

There were a few jewellery surprices to that evening and I myst say they were all pleasant :)

The first one is that Queen Silvia wore Queen Josefine's pearl, diamond and ruby brooch as a hair decoration. HM also wore her diamond tiara as necklace and diamond bracelets:
Newscom-rtrlfour861412.jpg

The bigger surprise, however, was Queen Sonja, who appeared quite bejewelled that evening. Her Majesty wore the pearl choker with the diamond and sapphire clasp, another pearl row (sth she usually does) and a further strand of large pearls (new to me). The Queen also wore Queen Alexandra's diamond flower brooch in the hair (very well done, IMO), the pearl and diamond devand-de-corsage and pearl and diamond earrins:
Newscom-sipaphotosthree337771.jpg
f201110220203601.jpg
f201110220292601.jpg

Not shown in the pix are an emerald ring and a three row pearl bracelet with diamond clasp.

ETA - It was also very nice to see Dorrit Moussaieff's Art Deco emerald sautoir. This woman never ceases to surprise me with the jewels she has access to :)

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Dorrit Moussaieff
When Fred and Mary visited Iceland in 2008, a magazine here in Australia said about Icelands First Lady;
Born in Israel, Doritt Moussaieff, 58, made her fortune as a designer in her parents jewelery business.
She is a contributing editor of British magazine Tatler.
So that is why she has such lovely jewellery.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
The eldest granddaughter of the Emperor of Japan just had her coming of age ceremony (now an official member of the royal family). For the formal photos she wore some nice jewels, can anyone provide some history/insight? Family pieces borrowed? Thanks.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Home today dealing with the stomach bug that is going around :blackeye:

All I know is that unlike in the United States, where 18 is considered to be an adult, in Japan the age to be an "adult" is 20.

Here are some pics...I think the necklace mimics the pattern of the tiara. I also think there's a little bit of lover's knot in this tiara.

mako1.jpg

mako2.jpg

mako3.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Yes I saw the pictures of the princess (Japan) on the internet, was wondering about the history behind the jewels, assume they belong to the royal family and were not borrowed from a jeweler. Any info would be great. Also does anyone have a clear photo of the ear rings that the Duchess of Cambridge wore to her first solo engagement? I can't tell what she is wearing based upon the photos I have seen. Thanks.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Saw more pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge jewels at her solo engagement. Think we have seen all of these jewels before. However, are they all family pieces or are possibly any of them wedding presents (too bad they did not at least give a list of jewels received as presents)?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results