carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: Queen Ingrid and Queen Anne Maries ruby brooch

neil31uk|1316126117|3018475 said:
Could these be Tanzanite in the earrings?

Everything's possible. I can't know for sure.

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Bobby that closeup of the sapphire brooch should be the same one I posted earlier on this page.
By Prussian do you mean it belonged to Gr Dss Anastasia of Mecklenburg Schwerin. Part of her
wedding gift in 1879 from Tsar Alexander II along with the sapphire necklace and earrings.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
I had no idea that Benediktes Amethysts had belonged to Qu Ingrid. Wow! Under good lighting they are exceptional
Amethysts.
I will try and post a photo of Alexandrine wearing the heart shaped brooch with pearl drop and Benedikte wearing the same.
Also I just found a photo of Alexandrine as a young prss wearing the curved ruby brooch. What do you think Bobby?

Christain%20X%20&%20Alexandrine%20close%20ups%201900.jpg Benedikte%20Prss%20dk%20pearl%20heart%20brooch.jpg Alexandrine%20as%20young%20dss%20of%20Mecklenberg%20Schwerin.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1316127670|3018493 said:
Bobby that closeup of the sapphire brooch should be the same one I posted earlier on this page.
By Prussian do you mean it belonged to Gr Dss Anastasia of Mecklenburg Schwerin. Part of her
wedding gift in 1879 from Tsar Alexander II along with the sapphire necklace and earrings.

No, the close up isn't the same. Your photo shows the brooch from the (right) side and was teken in Russia, while mine is from Vincent and Josephine's christening and is a front view.

By PrussianI mean German. The brooch belonged to The Duchess of Connaught (Queen Ingrid's grandmother), who was born a Princess of Prussia.
Anastasia, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin was born a member of the Russian Imperial family (i.e. a Grand Duchess of Russia). Queen Margrethe sapphire set, previously worn by Queen Alexandrine as a devnt-de-corsage, was hers.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1316131611|3018538 said:
I had no idea that Benediktes Amethysts had belonged to Qu Ingrid. Wow! Under good lighting they are exceptional Amethysts.
I will try and post a photo of Alexandrine wearing the heart shaped brooch with pearl drop and Benedikte wearing the same.
Also I just found a photo of Alexandrine as a young prss wearing the curved ruby brooch. What do you think Bobby?

Yes, they did :) Of course, it was another design of the jewels.
The two photos of Alexandrine (&Christain X) are new to me and rather lovely. It might be the curved brooch in the third photo, only if it is a mirrored version of the orriginal.

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Good morning Bobby, I believe the photo of the very young Alexandrine is a reversal of the negative; therefore showing the
curved ruby brooch opposite than the other photos. This photo could be of Alexandrine before she married in 1898 and the brooch
could be an 18th birthday gift. As she looks younger in this photo than when she married.

I see what you mean now that the sapphire brooch is different from Qu Margrethe's sapphire set. As you say Princess Louise Margaret
of Prussia married Arthur Duke of Connaught [one of Queen Victoria's sons.] So this means that Qu Margrethe has two differentsapphire brooches. One worn in Russia recently and the other worn to the twins xng.
And Prss Louise Margaret's wedding gift sapphire from Colonel Stannesley,[worn on a chain as a pendant] passed down to Qu Ingrid
who had it reset as the Connaught brooch that Princess Mary wears today. At Christian's christening and the twins xng.

Connaught%20sapphire%20brooch%20wed%20gift%20from%20Colonel%20Stannesley%201879%20now%20Marys.jpg Connaught%20sapphire%20set%20in%20scroll%20by%20Ingrid%20over%20100%20cts.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Good morning Bobby, I believe the photo of the very young Alexandrine is a reversal of the negative; therefore showing the
curved ruby brooch opposite than the other photos. This photo could be of Alexandrine before she married in 1898 and the brooch
could be an 18th birthday gift. As she looks younger in this photo than when she married.

I see what you mean now that the sapphire brooch is different from Qu Margrethe's sapphire set. As you say Princess Louise Margaret
of Prussia married Arthur Duke of Connaught [one of Queen Victoria's sons.] So this means that Qu Margrethe has two differentsapphire brooches. One worn in Russia recently and the other worn to the twins xng.
And Prss Louise Margaret's wedding gift sapphire from Colonel Stannesley,[worn on a chain as a pendant] passed down to Qu Ingrid
who had it reset as the Connaught brooch that Princess Mary wears today. At Christian's christening and the twins xng.

Connaught%20sapphire%20brooch%20wed%20gift%20from%20Colonel%20Stannesley%201879%20now%20Marys.jpg Connaught%20sapphire%20set%20in%20scroll%20by%20Ingrid%20over%20100%20cts.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Dagmar!

I never knew that Crown Princess Mary's sapphire brooch was made from an earlier jewel from the collection of The Duchess of Connaught. But are you sure that the re-setting was done for Queen Ingrid? I've always had the understanding that the brooch already had this look in 1920. And it certinly has a Victorian/early Edwardian look for me.
Do you have other such photos and info of/about The Duchess' jewels? It's very hard to find something interesting about her jewellery collection.

Thanks in advance!
Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
A long time ago a Danish guy had a jewel website Glen Slaikjaer. Or something like that. His site no longer exists.
And he said that Ingrid had embellished the sapphire to what it is now. Of course Ingrids mother Cr Prss Margaret of Sweden
could have done it.
That website that you quoted has a list of the Duchess of Connaughts jewels received at her wedding. www.royalmagazin.de/england/connaught/connaught-wedding.. Hope this helps.
Do you have a photo of Queen Ingrid wearing the amethysts by any chance?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
No, unfortunately I don't have the photo of Queen Ingrid, nor I've seen it, but from what I remeber it is in a book. It might be in Roger Lundgen's book Ingrid, Princessa av Sverige - Drottning av Danmark, as there are some rare photos in it (I myself don't have that book) or in one of the yearly (Danish) Royal photo books about what happened in the past year.
Yes, I saw Colonel Stannesley and the sapphire pin mentioned on royalmagazin.de :)

BTW, Slaikjaer now runs a new site about some of the Danish Royal Jewels - http://www.slaikjaer.com/royal
There aren't many royal jewels covered, butsome of the info and photos are interesting to read/see.

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Many years ago, Glens site was quite comprehensive about the jewels of the DRF, including Mary and Alexandra.
Sadly that no longer seems the case.

magic

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I only recently discovered this forum and find it delightful.

You and Princess Dagmar, of the posts I've read so far, seem to be very knowledgeable. In one post, you mentioned that members of your family were included in many royal events. Are you a royal? What about Princess Dagmar? others?

Thanks.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

prince.of.preslav|1316126495|3018480 said:
neil31uk|1316126117|3018475 said:
Could these be Tanzanite in the earrings?

Everything's possible. I can't know for sure.

Bobby

Which pair of earrings are you referring to? Tanzanite has only been mainstream recently...I first noticed it in jewelry stores about 20 years ago and I love it! As we discuss these pieces that have been handed down through several generations, I doubt any of them are tanzanite simply because the gem wasn't around then. If any royal wears tanzanite (I have yet to see any royalty wearing tanzanite), then it would have to be a fairly new piece.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1316223289|3019240 said:
Many years ago, Glens site was quite comprehensive about the jewels of the DRF, including Mary and Alexandra.
Sadly that no longer seems the case.

I remember that site Dagmar! You're right, it was great for breaking down jewels, even to the Greek Royal Family. I just looked at the new one that Bobby posted, and it's not near as detailed as the old one.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
magic|1316356636|3020082 said:
Hi,

I only recently discovered this forum and find it delightful.

You and Princess Dagmar, of the posts I've read so far, seem to be very knowledgeable. In one post, you mentioned that members of your family were included in many royal events. Are you a royal? What about Princess Dagmar? others?

Thanks.

Hi, magic! And welcome to Pricescope! Glad you like this forum :)

Is your question (being royal) by any chance directed at me? If so, then the answer is no. In my post on the prev.page I was talking about my royal family - i.e. the (former) Bulgarain royal family.
I can't tell for sure, but as far as I know the Princes & Princesses, Lords & Ladies on this board are all soi-disant.

To Princess Dagmar - Dagmar, are you Danish? At least you seam to have a soft spot for this royal family and its jewels.

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
As far I know I am not related to any royal. :(sad I became interested when Mary Donaldson married into a family
I knew nothing about, so I did some research and have tracked all of them from King Christian IX down through
the generations. I feel I know this family quite well now. I have enormous respect for HM Queen Margrethe and her
sisters. I find them remarkable women in todays world. Then I traced all the other royal families they are related
to.
I already knew all about the Russian Imperial family and all the Grand Dukes and Grand Duchess cousins.
Have been researching them for many years.
This family is incredibly interesting. Sorry Bobby but I have not persued the Bulgarian branch very much.
Here in Australia we have been drip fed Windsor royals for many generations.
Queen Elizabeth has over 100 brooches. And my humble opinion on her jewels is that while she has a great many,
hers are not the be all to end all in jewels. The Swedish royal jewel collection and the Netherlands can give
QEII a run for her money in the best jewel collection category.
For instance QEII does not have much in the way of complete parures only the Brazilian aquamarines. Whereas
Sweden has many.
Queen Mary started a collection of hodge podge in diamonds. While all the pieces are magnificent in their own right,
not many pieces are full sets. This of course is just my opinion.
Cr Prss Marys Desiree ruby parure is one of the best sets in Europe today. Again only my opinion, I am sure many of you will
feel differently.
cheers

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I just couldn't agree more, Dagmar! Just like you, I have a great respect for the daughters of King Fredrik IX and Queen Ingrid. I also love admiring their jewels.
I also agree with you that the Dutch and the Swedish royal families have two of the best royal jewellery collections (I should also add Denmrak with the Rosenborg branches); in the Netherlands' case it's also the most versatile. As far as the jewels of the British royals are concerned, I must say that in my opinion it IS the grandest and by far the most stunning (I'm not talking about the Queen's modern tiaras) one in Europe - you just have the think of the number of tiaras HM and her family have worn/wear, also the number of modern fringe necklaces, other jewellerd sets and individual jewels, not the mention the countless brooches (I mean the whole family).
BTW, the Swdish royal family only has only three full parures + one convirtable, and so has Denmark. The Dutch royal family's jewellery foundation has five.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

LadyMaria|1316359286|3020100 said:
Which pair of earrings are you referring to? Tanzanite has only been mainstream recently...I first noticed it in jewelry stores about 20 years ago and I love it! As we discuss these pieces that have been handed down through several generations, I doubt any of them are tanzanite simply because the gem wasn't around then. If any royal wears tanzanite (I have yet to see any royalty wearing tanzanite), then it would have to be a fairly new piece.

You can see the pair of earrings here, Maria: https://www.pricescope.com/files/im...h with laurel leaves poss from gr grd mum.JPG
It looks like this is a rarher modern pair, so possibly tanzanite.

PS: Lady Maria, don't you have a demi-parure with tanzanite and diamonds? :cheeky:

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today at Prinsjesdag - the Opening of the Dutch Parliament - was saw some nice jewels on the royal ladies present.
The Queen wore her diamond cluster studs with a solitaire diamonds pendant, a diamond bracelet (one of the new settings of the bracelet of the Colonies), and a ring with a large central diamond (not visible here):
1659807839594e78c38d4f631100721809.jpg
http://d2.img.dutchphotopress.com/1/1659807839594e78c38d4f631100721809.jpg

Princess Maxima wore a new-to-me pair of long earrings with white and grey/green stones, also her diamond bracelet and ring:
1392204575594e78c03d68bf4610601917.jpg
http://d2.img.dutchphotopress.com/1/1392204575594e78c03d68bf4610601917.jpg

Princess Laurentien wore what looks like earrings in diamonds with black pearls and a round diamond brooch:
1393466879594e78c04140f63775483211.jpg
http://d2.img.dutchphotopress.com/1/1393466879594e78c04140f63775483211.jpg

Princess Margriet wore thenecklace of large pearls, Queen Emma's small triple-pendant pearl and diamond brooch, her diamond clusters with a pearl pendant and a pearl and diamond bracelet:
1779092543594e78c507032d6491825995.jpg
http://d2.img.dutchphotopress.com/1/1779092543594e78c507032d6491825995.jpg

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1316557973|3021668 said:
As far as the jewels of the British royals are concerned, I must say that in my opinion it IS the grandest and by far the most stunning (I'm not talking about the Queen's modern tiaras) one in Europe -
Bobby

Booby, I agree. I think you have to go to Iran to see something that compares.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
mmmm...Iran...I love this emerald piece :love:

iran%20emerald%20necklace.png

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
I do like Princess Laurentien @ this event ,I think she looks better than she wasssssss ......

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1316570594|3021814 said:

It is stunning. :love:

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
Imdanny|1316606965|3022055 said:
BubblyBear|1316570594|3021814 said:

It is stunning. :love:

the emerald tiara ,wored by Empress farah when she and her husband state visited to thailand

fara.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Farah looks lovely and can not tell whether Queen Sirikit of Thailand is wearing sapphires or emeralds.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1316638273|3022401 said:
Farah looks lovely and can not tell whether Queen Sirikit of Thailand is wearing sapphires or emeralds.

Agree that The Empress looks quite lovely in this photo :) She knows fow to dress and to wear jewels to the best advantage.
Queen Sirikit's jewels are in sapphires and diamonds. The necklace (quite beautiful, IMO) has a huge detachable peandant that can be worn separately.
The Queen of Thailand at the State Banquet for TIM The Shah & The Shahbanu of Iran. I like how she wore the fringe tiara flat on her head and I wonder about the broochs - it looks like a flower with a large sapphire in the center:
1n4sd1217965240159889.jpg

Another photo of the sapphires:
641217969407160020.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1316611233|3022077 said:
the emerald tiara ,wored by Empress farah when she and her husband state visited to thailand

fara.jpg

Looking at this and other photos, I wonder if (providied that the Empire hadn't fallen in 1979) some of the Iranian tiaras (this and the ruby one) would've been se-set in the 1980s because of the change in hair styles? To me at least, they looked best with the high chignons that were fashionable some 40+ years ago. Back then the emeralds sat around the hair and gave it a somehow more polished look. Tor example take a look at this photo from TIM's State Visit to Norway and you'll see that the tiara looks a bit odd on top of Farah's flat do:
farahetolavv1961.jpg

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Great photos. I remember the one of an older Qu Sirikit wearing her lovely sapphires.
Like you say perhaps if the Shahs reign had continued the jewels may have been altered
to suit modern tastes,- re hairstyles.

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1316641199|3022436 said:
Princess Dagmar|1316638273|3022401 said:

Agree that The Empress looks quite lovely in this photo :) She knows fow to dress and to wear jewels to the best advantage.
Queen Sirikit's jewels are in sapphires and diamonds. The necklace (quite beautiful, IMO) has a huge detachable peandant that can be worn separately.
The Queen of Thailand at the State Banquet for TIM The Shah & The Shahbanu of Iran. I like how she wore the fringe tiara flat on her head and I wonder about the broochs - it looks like a flower with a large sapphire in the center:
1n4sd1217965240159889.jpg

another day of stat state banquet for TIM of Iran ,Queen Sirikit wore the same sapphire and diamond necklace but the tiara was changed.
the new one of this tiara can be removed diamonds on the top and replaced with sapphire as queen sirikit wore at state banquet for HM The Queen Elizabeth II and HRH The Duke of Edinburg

fara%205.jpg

queen%206.jpg

queen%205.jpg

The Duchess of Cambridge's wedding tiara wore by HRH The Princess Royal at the state banguet on Royal Yacht Britainnia.

kate%20weding%20tiara.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results