shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1305918073|2926757 said:
This is turning out to be a great year for royal weddings! The King of Bhutan has announced he's getting married in October.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities-news-in-pics/20-05-2011/56531/

I think she's really pretty. What type of jewels would a Queen of Bhutan (small country in the Himalayan mountains) wear?

What great news! A while ago The King was included in a list of the hottest single royals, if I remeber correctly, and I see that his wife-t-be would be raking next to Queen Rania, Crown Princess Many and the Duchess of Cambridge in the best looking female royals list.
I wish them all the best!

I don't think the Bhutanese royals are close to any of the European royal families, but I still remeber how pleasantly surprised I was last year when I saw this intimate photo of Ashi Tshering Pem Wangchuck (one of the ex-King's wives) with Queen Beatrix:
6a00d8341c648253ef0134809ace31970c.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1306067820|2927692 said:
WOW!!! We've hit the 9000 reply mark!!!! :appl:

Many thanks to all the contributors to this wonderfull theread and also special thanks to LadyAmythyst69, who started all this!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: Re:

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy|1306091754|2927853 said:
I had always been told her engagement ring was an aquamarine, is that really not the case?

No, as Alexander already said, Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was given a sapphire (and diamond) ring by her fiancé in 1923. Sadly we don't have a good photo of it.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Some great bling there, Bobby. Thanks. I wonder if the royals such as Sophia, who experienced that pomp & circumstance when young, miss the formality now or are just glad they don't have to do it.

Here are 2 pics --submitted by you 2 yrs ago to the Royal Forums -- of the Queen Mother's sapphire e-ring. Not very clear, and I can't find any others anywhere, but they give you an idea. Big stone! Hard to tell if the sapphire has a halo or sidestones. Do you know? I've always wondered why she stopped wearing it & substituted another.

--- Laurie

9b54faa7e59bb503_large.jpg

c08e8f809c4430bd_large.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WhiteRoseOfYork|1306061436|2927665 said:
Some pics from Queen Elizabeth II's State Visit to Ireland

Wow, I wish I had a gemstone the color of her outfit!!

file.jpg

Talk about paraiba tourmaline! :naughty:

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
a new portrait of HM was unveiled. artist james lloyd.

HM wore some unusel earrings with the Dehli Necklace (and bracelet) and the Girls Tiara. For me it looks like some drops of the Cambridge drops or the pair which was worn by the Queen Mother and the DoC recently

lo_HM_Queen_Elizabe_603207t.jpg

Queen-by-James-Lloyd-007.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
HM's jewels come through nicely & I like the background & composition. As a portrait of her, however, I don't think it does her justice at all. She is more attractive than that & less cranky-looking. Nice to see, though, Alexander.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1306165682|2928303 said:
HM's jewels come through nicely & I like the background & composition. As a portrait of her, however, I don't think it does her justice at all. She is more attractive than that & less cranky-looking. Nice to see, though, Alexander.

--- Laurie

I agree JF,
That is probably the worst painting I've ever seen of HM. :knockout:

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
TL|1306186024|2928522 said:
JewelFreak|1306165682|2928303 said:

--- Laurie

I agree JF,
That is probably the worst painting I've ever seen of HM. :knockout:

No, really?! we have seen some more worst and ugly things - which wre called paintings of HM - in the PAST!!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Didn't Lucian Freud do a portrait that she hated? Or Sutherland, can't remember for sure. It was truly AWFUL. Downright insulting in its ugliness -- and lack of resemblance to HM.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1306108281|2927975 said:
Some great bling there, Bobby. Thanks. I wonder if the royals such as Sophia, who experienced that pomp & circumstance when young, miss the formality now or are just glad they don't have to do it.

Don't know about Queen Sofia, Queen Anne-Marie, Elizabeth II & Prince Philip, the Infantas Pilar & Margarita and so on, but I certainly do miss the pomp and circumstances the past generation showed us. Nowadays only Denmark (and less Sweden) gives us the opportunity to see their beautifull jewels and gala uniforms more often than the other royal/princely/grand duchal houses.

Here are 2 pics --submitted by you 2 yrs ago to the Royal Forums -- of the Queen Mother's sapphire e-ring. Not very clear, and I can't find any others anywhere, but they give you an idea. Big stone! Hard to tell if the sapphire has a halo or sidestones. Do you know? I've always wondered why she stopped wearing it & substituted another.

--- Laurie

Hi laurie! As far as I know, the sappire doesn't have a diamond halo, but diamonds shoulders.
BTW, I posted these photos in the begining of this year ;-) Here you can see the originals:
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/9b54faa7e59bb503_large
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/princeofpreslav/c08e8f809c4430bd_large.jpg?t=1294778612

Best,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1306195030|2928656 said:
Didn't Lucian Freud do a portrait that she hated? Or Sutherland, can't remember for sure. It was truly AWFUL. Downright insulting in its ugliness -- and lack of resemblance to HM.

--- Laurie

I've never read that HM hates her Lucian Freud portrait, yet it's quite possible. Not quite the most realistic portrit but I wouldn't call it insulting. Unconventional as it is, this is what is called contemporary art. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we'lll ever see the likes of Winterhalter again...

You can read more about The Queen's Freud portrait here - http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...reud&x=0&y=0&object=100130&row=1&detail=about

Her Majesty sitting for the painter:
quefreud.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1306162952|2928278 said:

HM wore some unusel earrings with the Dehli Necklace (and bracelet) and the Girls Tiara. For me it looks like some drops of the Cambridge drops or the pair which was worn by the Queen Mother and the DoC recently

In my opinion, this is a rather nice portrait of the British Queen. It was also very nice to see the ladies of India necjklace, the Cambridge emerlad bracelet, Granny's tiara and... the Greville emerald earrings*. Elizabeth II is also wearing three emerald rings - something I'd never seen before.But I just wish HM wore a dress with a plain coluor, so that she'd stand out more.

*The Greville emerald earrings are the ones previously worn by thr late Queen Mother; the Duchess of Cornwall now wears Queen Alexanda's emerald drop earrings.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1306227723|2928948 said:
As far as I know, the sappire doesn't have a diamond halo, but diamonds shoulders.
BTW, I posted these photos in the begining of this year ;-) Here you can see the originals:
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/9b54faa7e59bb503_large
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/princeofpreslav/c08e8f809c4430bd_large.jpg?t=1294778612

Best,
Bobby

You're right, Bobby, it looks like trilliant sidestones on that ring. Funny, I found your pics & post in a thing dated '09. Anyway, glad you dug them up -- I think they're about the only ones extant that show the ring.

Maybe I remembered the Queen hating her Freud portrait because I hated it! There was a lot of debate about it at the time. To me it is insulting to paint the Queen (or anyone!) less attractive than real life & looking somber & cranky. Sigh, you're right....Winterhalter, Whistler, Sargent, the likes of whom we don't see now. Someday maybe it will be new & modern to paint that way again, cycles being what they are. I'm waiting!

--- Laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1306229284|2928951 said:
alexander1917|1306162952|2928278 said:

In my opinion, this is a rather nice portrait of the British Queen. It was also very nice to see the ladies of India necjklace, the Cambridge emerlad bracelet, Granny's tiara and... the Greville emerald earrings*. Elizabeth II is also wearing three emerald rings - something I'd never seen before.But I just wish HM wore a dress with a plain coluor, so that she'd stand out more.

*The Greville emerald earrings are the ones previously worn by thr late Queen Mother; the Duchess of Cornwall now wears Queen Alexanda's emerald drop earrings.

Bobby

Many thanks for your support, I was not sure from whom the drops came. - and of course it's unclear to see in the peitning which one she wore. I didn't find a photo of the sitting.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1306273734|2929374 said:
Many thanks for your support, I was not sure from whom the drops came. - and of course it's unclear to see in the peitning which one she wore. I didn't find a photo of the sitting.

You're welcome, Alexander! I only assumed that HM's wearing the Greville earrings because I've not seen anyone wear emerld drops from the Cambridge set since Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck (Queen Mary's mother)'s death. But I'm almost 100% sure these are the Greville emerlads.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1306236121|2928974 said:
You're right, Bobby, it looks like trilliant sidestones on that ring. Funny, I found your pics & post in a thing dated '09. Anyway, glad you dug them up -- I think they're about the only ones extant that show the ring.

--- Laurie

So I posted these photos twice there, right? Do you remeber if this was in the same thread - Royal Rings - all types?
Strange that I don't remeber my ver own posts...

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
State visit of the US President to England. HM wore the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara with pearl drops, and I think (kind of hard to see from the pictures) Queen Victoria's Jubilee necklace.

I think the Queen looked very dainty and petite next to Michelle Obama.

queenusstatevisit.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The Duchess of Cornwall wore the Honeycomb tiara and a fringe necklace, along with the Queen Elizabeth's Order.

This dress seems familiar....or maybe it's just the color that's familiar?

camillausstate.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
And on a final note, it would appear that while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met with the US President and his wife earlier today, they were not in attendance at tonight's state dinner. I can't find them, can you? ;-)

usstatedinner.jpeg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
HM received the US president with one of my favorites, the Cullinan heart (V) brooch

114579996.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
for my own birthday HM did me a great favor, for the US diner she wore the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara, Queen Victoria's Jubilee Necklace, Queen Victoria's Pearl Drop earrings, and The Teck Corsage Brooch ( not seen for a couple of years)!!!

114587059.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
on 23rd May HM visited the Chelsea Flower show (with Pince Albert of Monaco, she wore a unusal "hat" which was seen some years ago first time

114530391.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came to Royal Jewels to post a photo I had seen of the state dinner that President and Mrs. Obama attended at Buckingham Palace. When I arrived here, I saw many beautiful photos of the event had already been posted, and I thank those of you who posted them. I had not seen all of them! Lady Maria, you had some shots I loved!!! The photo I had was similar to one that been posted, but not identical, so I am posting mine as well!

I was pleased that Michelle Obama got high marks-very high marks-for her elegance.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

VladimirTiaraMay242011.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
She did, huh? I'm in the minority, then -- thought Michelle's dress looked like an apron, not up to her usual.

But the Queen did look smashing & I'm sure was thinking of your b'day, Alexander! I LOVE her Chelsea Flower Show hat -- how adorable. I've never seen it before. Is that the Hyderabad Rose Brooch she's wearing in that photo?

--- Laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1306333414|2929857 said:
She did, huh? I'm in the minority, then -- thought Michelle's dress looked like an apron, not up to her usual.

But the Queen did look smashing & I'm sure was thinking of your b'day, Alexander! I LOVE her Chelsea Flower Show hat -- how adorable. I've never seen it before. Is that the Hyderabad Rose Brooch she's wearing in that photo?

--- Laurie

yes it's the large brooch, which was once part of the Tiara (ther'e also 2 smaller ones left)

the net was seen many times for the Flower Show

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1306333414|2929857 said:

--- Laurie

I'm with you on this one JF. I thought the First Lady's dress was awful and didn't flatter her at all. I was trying to be nice when I mentioned earlier that the Queen looked "dainty and petite." :cheeky: I know some people praise Michelle Obama for her toned arms, but I thought this dress made her top half (shoulders/arms) look gigantic and overbearing, and the hairstyle didn't work for me at all.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1306282823|2929537 said:
for my own birthday HM did me a great favor, for the US diner she wore the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara, Queen Victoria's Jubilee Necklace, Queen Victoria's Pearl Drop earrings, and The Teck Corsage Brooch ( not seen for a couple of years)!!!

Happy Birthday Alexander!!!

Lori

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Maria, that dress is a hard one to wear -- it would work only if you're shaped like a stick, then it'd look great. The bow at the waist is weird too, off center & crooked.

It's lovely how favorably the Queen compares with any other female at formal functions. Tiny old lady without a sharp sense of style but HM outshines all with her dignity & sheer niceness. The Vladimir tiara & other historic & beautiful gems help but aren't responsible for it -- as we can see w/the equally bedecked DoC, who comes across as just another diner at the banquet.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results