shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
That Maltese cross tiara is totally foreign to me. I'm not sure about it...but I am sure I love how her hair is done!

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Totally agree with you LadyMaria. The tiara/crown(?) is kind of "not quite feeling it", but the hairstyle is nice. I also liked the hat she wore to Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding. Very flattering.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1305070946|2917902 said:
That Maltese cross tiara is totally foreign to me. I'm not sure about it...but I am sure I love how her hair is done!

As a non-native speaker (with not quite the best command in English) I can't quite understand what you mean, Maria. Is the tiara foreign to you because you hadn't noticed it before/don't know it's story, or because it's too far from your understanding for a gracious, elegant tiara?

Regards,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Another Sate Visit and a glittering banquet, guys! This time it was the Danish royal family's turn to show some bling at the State Banquet for the President of South Korea & Mrs. Kim Yoon-ok.
The Queen wore the rarely seen turquoise bandeau, pair of earrings, a wing brooch and the complete stomacher hung on a short chain:
15598526.jpg
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpicturepreview.pp?id=15598526
The Crown Princess wore the new (!!!) version of her wedding tiara - with pearl spikes and a pearl base - along with her wedding earrings. This is Mary's first glittering event after she gave birth to the twins:
15598502.jpg
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpicturepreview.pp?id=15598502
Princess Marie wore her floral wedding tiara, diamond earrings and the sapphire & diamond pendant; Princess Benedikte opted for Queen Sofia's pearl spike and star tiara and a pearl necklaces. I think HRH's also wearing diamond star earrings and that the central pearl necklace has emerald beads.
15598529.jpg
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpicturepreview.pp?id=15598529

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock

HM Queen Maud wore the maltease tiara in 1937 to the coronation of HM King George VI. From the picture below she wore it akin to a coronet or crown, with the four crosses in the positions you would see them in on a crown.

royalfam.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1305151824|2919039 said:

As a non-native speaker (with not quite the best command in English) I can't quite understand what you mean, Maria. Is the tiara foreign to you because you hadn't noticed it before/don't know it's story, or because it's too far from your understanding for a gracious, elegant tiara?

Regards,
Bobby

Sorry Bobby! You have a better command of English than you realize...sometimes I forget you're not a native speaker!

In this case I meant "foreign" as in I don't think I've ever seen it before and I'm not familiar with it or it's story. I do think I like the emerald tiara better, but I don't think the emerald tiara would have gone well with the pink dress.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1305152686|2919052 said:
The Crown Princess wore the new (!!!) version of her wedding tiara - with pearl spikes and a pearl base - along with her wedding earrings. This is Mary's first glittering event after she gave birth to the twins:
Bobby

She looks great! I like the new version of her wedding tiara. It looks bigger!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a story comparing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress with that of Isabella Orsisni, who married a Belgian prince Edouard de Ligne (must be a minor royal...I've never heard of him before).

I think the Duchess' jewels are better. The earrings were made to match some of the shapes on the tiara. They went together well (which is also why I still think the Duchess will borrow this tiara again sometime).

On this picture I think the loops of bare metal above the blue stones makes it look incomplete. While the earrings match the tiara, the necklace doesn't.

I like Catherine's better!

isabellaorsini.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1305151824|2919039 said:

Regards,
Bobby

I started going through my pictures to see why I am confused about this tiara...I may have answered my own question!

Here's what I have listed as a bandeau for Queen Sonja, and I now realize it is the base without the crosses!

bandeauorway-sonja.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1305218814|2919745 said:
I saw a story comparing the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress with that of Isabella Orsisni, who married a Belgian prince Edouard de Ligne (must be a minor royal...I've never heard of him before).

I think the Duchess' jewels are better. The earrings were made to match some of the shapes on the tiara. They went together well (which is also why I still think the Duchess will borrow this tiara again sometime).

On this picture I think the loops of bare metal above the blue stones makes it look incomplete. While the earrings match the tiara, the necklace doesn't.

I like Catherine's better!

The House de Ligne is perhaps Belgium's most prominent family, after the royal family. Their princely title (with the style Highness) goes back to the 16th century, while their baronial title is a century older. The present (14th) Prince is a distant relative of the groom, but what's more intersting is that he (The Prince) is the first cousin of HRH the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and is married to a Princess d'Orléans-Braganza. His youngest sister is married to none else but the son of Captain Peter Townsend, Princess Margaret's former beau.
I have never really liked tiaras with coloured stones on brides and that goes for other jewels as well. BTW, Maria, the loops of bare metal are actually loops of diamonds ;-)
Edouard+de+Ligne+Marrys+Actress+Isabella+Orsini+afNN4C8WYetl.jpg
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/bs-I...ne+Marrys+Actress+Isabella+Orsini/afNN4C8WYet
Edouard+de+Ligne+Marrys+Actress+Isabella+Orsini+308U84z7dDRl.jpg
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/bs-IZRHzRId/Edouard+de+Ligne+Marrys+Actress+Isabella+Orsini

Bobby

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The last image of the necklace is what brings my attention the most, It's a stunner! Does anyone know the carat weight of queen Victoria's necklace?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1305218333|2919738 said:
Sorry Bobby! You have a better command of English than you realize...sometimes I forget you're not a native speaker!

In this case I meant "foreign" as in I don't think I've ever seen it before and I'm not familiar with it or it's story. I do think I like the emerald tiara better, but I don't think the emerald tiara would have gone well with the pink dress.

Thank you, Maria, for the nice words!
Now I see what you mean. The story behind the circlet is uncertain. Some say (a.o. Princess Astrid!) that it was originally made for Queen Alexandra as a simpler alternative of the State Diademe and Queen Victoria's circlet, while others suggest that it was made using stones from Queen Alexanda's crown. Unfortunately there are no strong evidence to support either of the theories and both sound possible.
By the way, after the wedding of the Crown Prince Harald (now HM The King) to Miss Sonja Haraldsen, the circlet was shortened and a pair of earrings (the one HM wore) was made using the removed elements.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
CravingDiamonds|1305230985|2919972 said:
The last image of the necklace is what brings my attention the most, It's a stunner! Does anyone know the carat weight of queen Victoria's necklace?

I suppose you mean Queen Victoria of Great Britain's diamond collet necklace, right? I don't think that information about the total weight of the diamonds in it (save for the Lahore diamond) has ever been released, but it's safe to say that it might be above 150 carats. I remeber reading some years ago that the larges stone is about 11 carats.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Second day of the Presiden of South Korea's State Visit to Denmark. Today there was a reception at Glyptoteket (an art mseum in central Copenhagen) at which The Queen & the Prince Consort, the Crown Prince, Prince Joachim & Princess Marie and Princess Benedikte were present.
The Queen wore her ruby earrings (rarely seen) and a diamond flower brooch:
PPE11051241.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/May2011/PPE11051241.jpg

Hard to tell but I think Princess Marie wore her diamond and pearl brooch are some earrings:
PPE11051232.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/May2011/PPE11051232.jpg

Princess Benedikte wore her necklace with large pearls, large pearl studs and round pearl and diamond brooch:
PPE11051236.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/May2011/PPE11051236.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I found an interesting video from last night's State Banquet at Fredensborg Palace. I found it interesting to see the guests arriving and then to hear HM deliver her speech. It was also very nice to see the glitter of HM's jewels and what I really enjoyed was the swinging of the earrings. After the Royal couple arrived, I heard the comentator mentioning Cathering the Great and Queen Ingrid and how the pendant/stomacher HM wore came to Denmark.
You can enjoy the video here - http://www.dr.dk/nu/player/#/sydkoreansk-statsbesoeg/9018/28:39

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I know it's not jewelry related, but I had to post this recent precious photo of HM with her two youngest grandchildren. It's just one of my favorite photos of HM, and shows her as a loving grandmother with these two most precious "jewels" in her life.

Queenandgrandchildren.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1305217361|2919723 said:

HM Queen Maud wore the maltease tiara in 1937 to the coronation of HM King George VI. From the picture below she wore it akin to a coronet or crown, with the four crosses in the positions you would see them in on a crown.

royalfam.jpg

No matter what they do with the exception of Elizabeth II, they never seem to look as regal to me as they (in any country) do in this picture.

Maybe they need to wear more ermine, longer robes, and practice not smiling.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
TL|1305262045|2920429 said:
Sorry, I know it's not jewelry related, but I had to post this recent precious photo of HM with her two youngest grandchildren. It's just one of my favorite photos of HM, and shows her as a loving grandmother with these two most precious "jewels" in her life.

That is a beautiful picture and she looks very relaxed. I know they've got "the heir", "the spare," Charles, and Camilla, but I don't think we're going to see the likes of her again.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agree, Danny. It will be the end of something grand. I'm glad I was living to see it.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Laurie. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm also glad I was living to see Diana from when she was introduced to the public until the end of her life.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1305270449|2920504 said:
TL|1305262045|2920429 said:

That is a beautiful picture and she looks very relaxed. I know they've got "the heir", "the spare," Charles, and Camilla, but I don't think we're going to see the likes of her again.

You got that right!

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Is the horse that HM is sitting on looks like a breed that QV liked to ride in later years. I think I've seen a picture of some
Kind

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Is the horse that HM is sitting on looks like a breed that QV liked to ride in later years. I think I've seen a picture of some
Kind

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1305230183|2919951 said:
The House de Ligne is perhaps Belgium's most prominent family, after the royal family. Their princely title (with the style Highness) goes back to the 16th century, while their baronial title is a century older. The present (14th) Prince is a distant relative of the groom, but what's more intersting is that he (The Prince) is the first cousin of HRH the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and is married to a Princess d'Orléans-Braganza. His youngest sister is married to none else but the son of Captain Peter Townsend, Princess Margaret's former beau.
I have never really liked tiaras with coloured stones on brides and that goes for other jewels as well. BTW, Maria, the loops of bare metal are actually loops of diamonds ;-)

Bobby

So who be a likely equivalent of the prominance of this family in the British aristrocracy? I know the Duke of Kent and the Duke of Gloucester are important, but their titles don't go back that far. The current Duke of Kent is not directly decended from the Duke of Kent that was Queen Victoria's father...it was a new creation of the title. And the current Duke of Gloucester doesn't go back a century either.

What an interesting relationship between the Luxoumborgian and Princess Margaret's former beau! :o

Your pictures are more close-up than the one I found, so now I see the diamonds. I still like the Duchess of Cambridge's better!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1305309457|2920894 said:
Kind

I think The Queen is riding a Fell Pony. Not sure if that's the breed you have in mind, Shelly. In any way it's a pony, and not a true horse.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1305314644|2920988 said:
So who be a likely equivalent of the prominance of this family in the British aristrocracy? I know the Duke of Kent and the Duke of Gloucester are important, but their titles don't go back that far. The current Duke of Kent is not directly decended from the Duke of Kent that was Queen Victoria's father...it was a new creation of the title. And the current Duke of Gloucester doesn't go back a century either.

What an interesting relationship between the Luxoumborgian and Princess Margaret's former beau! :o

Your pictures are more close-up than the one I found, so now I see the diamonds. I still like the Duchess of Cambridge's better!

I wouldn't compare the Prince de Ligne's title to that of the Dukes of Gloucester and of Kent but rather to the Duke of Norfolk (the most senior British Dukes outside of the RF), the Dukes of Richmond and the Dukes of Devonshire (both from the 17th century).
The current Dukes of Gloucester and of Kent are directly decended from the Duke of Kent & Strathearn, Queen Victoria's father. They are his great-great-great-grandchildren. But the current Dukedom of Kent is indeed a new creation - from 1934. The current Dukedom of Gloucester is also a rather new creation - from 1928, but the title itself is much older, the first creation being in 1385.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results