shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Mary wore rest of the stomacher at her waist, maybe to secure the train. In the previous post I forgot to add that I''m not too keen on the use of the pendant (the chandaliers are enough) and maybe the combination of ruby red and orange. I''ve to admit that the dress is beautiful, though.

PPE10010128.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It's so nice to see the Danish royal ladies in fur wraps. So much Royal... I hope this are made from existing furs in HM's wardrobe, not newly bought ones.
Ok, lets stick to the jewels - Princess Marie wore her wedding tiara with a diamond and sapphire pendant (perhaps a Xmas gift?) and long diamond earrings:

PPE10010109.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And a view of The Princess''s hair-do and the train of her gown:

PPE10010116.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 5:25:50 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Date: 12/31/2009 8:56:12 PM

Author: laurensmama

On Youtube there is a video of norway''s royal jewels. It states that some of them have not been seen in years, is this due to change in style, personal preference,fragility, etc. or were they sold? Just curious.

Change of style and personal preferences are indeed a good reason. I haven''t heard if the main line of the familly or The King''s sisters have sold any jewels, and I hope they won''t do so in the future. You must also have in mind that in the early 1990''s the original Queen Maud''s pearl tiara and some brooches were sold when they were sent to Garrard & Co''s office in London for maintenance/cleaning. There is (was) also a beautiful diamond and pearl necklace that anyone since Queen Maud has worn.On her wedding to Peince Carl of Denmark, she received a ruby and diamond necklace, but I don''t know of any pictures of anyone with that jewel. Recently Queen Sonja wore a big diamond flower brooch at the Nobel Prize Gala. This brooch is believed to have belonged to Queen Alexandra of GB and has been worn in public for the last time in Windsor Castle many, many years ago. We might just hope that old jewels will re-eppear in the New Year!

I''m curious to understand what the others think? Would you wear the grand family heirlooms just for the sake of The Glitter, or you''d reset the stones into something less glamourous, but better fitting your taste, or just forget about them and buy new jewels?

If I was a (royal) lady I''d certainly buy new jewels and continue using the old ones ;-)

Bobby

Here is the picture I mentioned above:

Bobby, as usual, wonderful pictures :)

And a small correction to add to this specific post: Queen Maud''s pearl tiara was stolen from Garrard''s, not sold. A copy of the tiara was made, but the historical value obviously outweighs the cost of the jewels.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 1:47:10 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The famed Spanish royal jewel, the Whittelsbach diamond, now owned by Laurence Graff, has been recut

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-new-wittelsbach-graff.132940/

Ohhh, the poor diamond! Now it's acquired some glitter, but it's lost much of it's historical value...and 4 carats! Now its a completely new piece - The Wittelsbach-Graff.

Here is a photo of the now-gone beauty, suspending the Order of the Golden Fleece's badge (Bavarian crown jewel):

wittelsbachdiamond4.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 8:51:11 PM
Author: shadowed_rain
Date: 1/1/2010 5:25:50 PM

Bobby, as usual, wonderful pictures :)

And a small correction to add to this specific post: Queen Maud''s pearl tiara was stolen from Garrard''s, not sold. A copy of the tiara was made, but the historical value obviously outweighs the cost of the jewels.

Thanks ro the correction, shadowed_rain!
Of course I meant stolen, not sold. When typing I was thinking about what might have happened to the original tiara - sold to a crazy collector, or to someone like Imelda Marcos, who''d crate "more wearable pieces", or most probably dismantled and the lose stones sold.

When someone has to part with a family jewel, royal or not, a diamond tiara or a simple gold ring, for whatever reason, makes me reallllly sad....

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It appears now that Princess Marie''s pendant, from last night''s gala, has been a brooch, once owned by Queen Alexandrine. A large round diamond is framed by round diamonds and cabochon sapphires. Now the piece has been altered and some stones have been added to form the suspending hook and a second pendant at the bottom. All in all, a beautiful jewel in either form:

2010NYC_M_sbr.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today in my files I found this clear picture of the beautiful brooch that The Queen wore at the 2009 Chrismas broadcast. Here it''s worn by The late Queen Mother:

pdb_chr2009bc.JPG

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1086782/Mrs-Simpsons-ring-sale-royal-treasure-trove-set-hammer.html

I found an article about the Duke of Windsor''s trinity ring. I know you all love seeing it so I thought I''d post it for you.
17.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link, Danny. IIRC we've discussed this trinity ring long ago. Hope the new owner will enjoy wearing it more than the previous. It deserves it.

Here is a link to a video of well-known Faberge tiara, now exibited in Houston Museum of Natural Science. Scroll down a little to see the video:
http://www.hmns.org/exhibits/special_exhibits/faberge.asp

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In the begining of the new year the Imperial family of Japan hosted a gala. Here are two pictures I''ve found from that occasion. The Empress is wearing the the flower/daisy tiara, a riviere and a diamond brooch:

1262370287231.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A photo where we can see the other imperial ladies and their jewels. It seems that The Crown Princess Masako is wearing the (moden) fringe. I don''t know who the other ladies are and have no idea about their jewellery:

1262370474361.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
From this collage it looks that there''s a matching necklace to the fringe tiara. That would mean that there is a second parure in the family... Does anyone have better pictures?

1262358224847.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got a slightly off topic question, but since it has been discussed here earlier I make the plunge aswell;

The Emperor and Empress always seems to be wearing different orders? Are they really sperate orders, or are they just different colours for men and women?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
First I''d like to say that I know almost nothing about The Imperial family and their honours, but I think HIM The Emperor wears the Grand Cross and Collar of The Order of the Chrysanthemum, since it''s the highest order in Japan. HIM The Empress wears the Grand Cross of The Order of the Precious Crown.
So, to answer your question - this are two separate orders.

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so nice to see something other than European royalty even though I love their glam. Are there any photos of older and more traditional Asian (including China) royal jewels, including the fine pearl and jadeite pieces? It seems the jewels of the modern royal family of Japan is rather Westernized.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL, wearing these Westernized jewels is not something new for the Imperial family. Here is a photo of the young Empress Shoken, who died in the early XX century, wearing an elegant tiara and diamond necklaces:

Empress_Shoken.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is another picture I'd like to share. We see the then Crown Prince and Princess of Japan during their official visit to Sweden in 1985. As you can see Queen Silvia is wearing the Order of the Precious Crown. When the now Imperial couple paied a State Visit to Sweden in 2000, The Queen, Princesses Lilian, Désirée and Christina (not sure about her) wore that order. This makes me think if this is the highest order that can be bestowed to women? But Elizabeth II has the Chrysanthemum, maybe because she's a rainig monarch? Princess Margaret also recived The Precious Crown, and Queen Elizabeth probably nothing, since she was wearing The Garter.

Bobby

1985207292.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m talking about over 200 years ago, when Asia was more closed off to Western society. I would love to see some of those pieces. Even up to the 20th century, the various Asian royal families still wore traditional costume and jewels I would imagine. For example, here''s a traditional empress crown of China, and some information on Chinese court dress.

http://traditions.cultural-china.com/en/15T6747T12290.html

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 7:03:50 PM
HRH The Crown Princess, as usual, wore the ruby tiara and earrings. This year, however, Mary wore the pendant from the stomacher on a chain around her neck:
Thank you for the new pictures
21.gif
CP Mary looked wonderful once again. The ruby tiara is one of my favorite, but I dislike these huge earrings. Mary''s beautiful face is so fresh and radiant, she just doesn''t need those things to look better. I liked the pendant, though. That was quite interesting
2.gif

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 7:20:19 PM
It appears now that Princess Marie''s pendant, from last night''s gala, has been a brooch, once owned by Queen Alexandrine. A large round diamond is framed by round diamonds and cabochon sapphires. Now the piece has been altered and some stones have been added to form the suspending hook and a second pendant at the bottom. All in all, a beautiful jewel in either form:
Nice shot, Bobby
2.gif
This is so beautiful. Marie is so lucky to have that piece! Or perhaps she just borrowed it??

njmom8285

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is a great thread...I had not seen it before today. I''m English, although I am here in the US (was born here) My Mum came over as a war bride in the 40''s. Sadly she past a way many years ago....but her love of her homeland lives on in me.

I spent almost every summer there as a child and through high school. I should have gone to college there and just stayed there as I love it so very much. But life takes different paths than we sometimes plan for it to.

The royal jewels are one of my passions in terms of reading about them, I must own about 10 books! And every time we go...the Tower is one of my favorite stops! Many pages back someone asked how heavy Queen Elizabeth''s royal crown is. I might be wrong~but I''m remembering about 18 lbs. The infrastructure to which the jewels are set alone weighs close to 10! Then add in the fabrics, precious metals and gems! When they open Commons each year she must wear it through the entire ceremony~I can only imagine the headache!! But to wear those historic jewels, I would put up with a few headaches for sure!!

It is also a pleasure to see the other countries rings, tiaras, and pins~definitely a learning experience for me! Thanks again to all of you wonderful ladies for all these photos!!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 12:30:21 PM
Author: Christiana
Date: 1/2/2010 7:20:19 PM

Nice shot, Bobby
2.gif
This is so beautiful. Marie is so lucky to have that piece! Or perhaps she just borrowed it??

You''re welcome, Christiana. Marie''s pendant - Have in mind that Princess Marie gave birth to a son in May 2009 and that The Crown Princess received an important familly sapphire, diamond and pearl brooch from The Queen when Prince Christian was born. I think it''d be great if giving sapphire jewellery to Danish royal mothers becomes a tradition...

Bogdan

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:03:38 PM
Author: njmom8285
This is a great thread...I had not seen it before today. I''m English, although I am here in the US (was born here) My Mum came over as a war bride in the 40''s. Sadly she past a way many years ago....but her love of her homeland lives on in me.

Ladies and gents, njmom8285!

So sorry about your mother! At least you still have the nice memories from your stay on England.

I''m not sure how much 18 lbs is, but the weight of the Crown in grams is 910. Of course this is quite much, but obviously HM fells OK with it, otherwise she could chose to wear Queen Victoria''s small diamond crown.
OT - why would Elizabet II open Commons? The Parlament has two Houses - The House of Lords and The House Commons. When opening The Parliament, The Queen delivers her speach from The HoL. HM''s not allowed to enter The HoC during the ceremony.

Here is something new (and long awaited by me) for us from RoyalMagazine.de - Mary, Princess Royal & Countess of Harewood''s jewellery. Follow the link and then scroll down to see the other links:

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Greetings, njmom8285!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On 10th January Queen Beatrix attended “The Middle East Gala” in Vienna. For the ocassion The Queen chose some aquamarine and diamond jewellery:

beatrixviena10.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your answer!
It seems like the Crown Princess Victoria also has recieved the order of the Chrysantemum. Maybe the rules are getting less rigid.

stilstudie_kronprinsessan_skimrar_i_blatt.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
There''s always a joy to see Queen Beatrix out and about!

To me she''s the perfect mix between regal and warm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results